HERE YE! HERE YE! THE FORUM OVERHAUL IS DONE! :D

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.

How should the forums be changed?

Add a separate area for and Nuts and Volts
18%
Add a "VIP" area for N&V subscribers
9%
Add a separate area for SERVO
12%
Add a "VIP" area for SERVO subscribers
6%
Add a specific area for Regular Columns
30%
Provide a Vendor Chat Area
12%
Not enough options here -I'll tell you in the thread!
6%
Leave 'em alone! They're perfect!
6%

Total votes: 33

VernGraner

Re: HERE YE! HERE YE! THE FORUM OVERHAUL IS COMING!

Post by VernGraner »

Joseph wrote:I wouldn't mind an ad on the page top from a company related to electronics, especially N&V itself. Maybe a "donate" link for the forum, too.
Good Ideas! Just so you folks know, we are actively discussing all comments in this thread. :smile:

Vern
--
Vern Graner
VernGraner

Post by VernGraner »

CeaSaR wrote:Fix the HTML code to fill out the META NAMES for "keywords" and "description"
As it is now, they are both blank. I already pointed this out in the "Where is everybody?" thread.
Noted and already being discussed with the server admin. Thanks for the heads up! (and the persistence!) :smile:
CeaSaR wrote:Put the links for Nuts & Volts and SERVO magazines back in the top banner.
When you click, it brings you back to the forum home page.
Another good one. nice to be able to easily navigate.
CeaSaR wrote:Add N&V specific areas for Q,C & A.
Add Servo specific areas for Q, C & A.
Yes and yes! :grin:
CeaSaR wrote:Vendor area would be good as I think some of them got kicked off due to "spamming" -
they could go there and be moderated so as not to clutter the other areas.
Along with this area would a sub area for Vendor Chat. Sometimes, you just need to ask
a question about/toward a vendor or product. Who else would be best qualified to answer?
Very good point. I'm taking notes! :smile:
CeaSaR wrote:Regular columns would be a good idea as there have been some questions related to them.
Lastly, I think that when someone becomes an author or editor (regular or contributing),
they should become a member of the forum. That way, they become aware of Q, C & A
of their specific article or column. And they don't have to check in every day if they have
email notices enabled.
That is very much part of the plan. We're working with the columnists now..
CeaSaR wrote:I think enacting at least some of these ideas would go a long way toward making the forum
more useful (it is already quite useful) for the masses, easier to find and navigate, and it
would give those who should be a part of the forum (vendors) a specific place to be without
causing spam problems.
Thank you for the very useful feedback! We are still tweaking and coordinating, but progress is being made! Keep the commentary coming! :smile:

Vern
--
Vern Graner
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

VernGraner wrote:
Joseph wrote:I wouldn't mind an ad on the page top from a company related to electronics, especially N&V itself. Maybe a "donate" link for the forum, too.
Good Ideas! Just so you folks know, we are actively discussing all comments in this thread. :smile:

Vern
Thanks Vern, I think it is good how you are trying to improve things!
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

VernGraner wrote:
CeaSaR wrote:Fix the HTML code to fill out the META NAMES for "keywords" and "description"
As it is now, they are both blank. I already pointed this out in the "Where is everybody?" thread.
Noted and already being discussed with the server admin. Thanks for the heads up! (and the persistence!) :smile:
Um, while you guys are at it, could you do the same at N&V and Servo? N&V's are blank while
Servo's say "Default site description/keyword goes here"

I'm not nitpicking, I just want the magazines to stay around and grow. I think they would get
better/more prominent search placement if these were fixed.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

I don't suppose any one has proposed "Captcha" for keeping spammers off the site?
Thou,
It seems we aren't be inundated by as much spam of late.
Is this because are MOD's are quickly removing it?
Or has a new Sign-Up Rule been added, like "Captcha" that stops Spam Bots cold?

Whats "Captcha"? you might ask?
Here is some info: http://www.google.com/recaptcha/captcha

Signed: Janitor Tzap
VernGraner

Post by VernGraner »

Janitor Tzap wrote:I don't suppose any one has proposed "Captcha" for keeping spammers off the site?
Thou,It seems we aren't be inundated by as much spam of late. <snip>
Actually, we had a captcha system in place and the spam-bots would blow right past it. We were getting about 40 to 60 new "users" that had successfully solved the captcha EVERY SINGLE DAY! :mad:

So, we did make a change - we REMOVED the captcha system and replaced it with a new "question" system. The new system has for the most part confounded the "bots" that know how to solve captchas. :cool:

We're glad you noticed the drop in spammers and spam on the forums- we're working hard to get the board ready for its debut! :grin:

Vern
--
Vern Graner
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

A forum update would be welcomed but more members are crucial to the survival.
I don't remember ever seeing anything in N&V about the forum! Why not? Are we orphans?

I remember some time back when a certain member was a significant catalyst and invoked much 'chatter'.
Many of us, myself included, went head to head with him often and eventually his attitude and performances led him to be banned.
Like it or not, he did get board activity, one sort or another. Am I suggesting he be re-invited?.................Well, are we that desperate yet?

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
VernGraner

Post by VernGraner »

Lenp wrote:A forum update would be welcomed but more members are crucial to the survival.
I don't remember ever seeing anything in N&V about the forum! Why not? Are we orphans?
I agree on the membership. We need more real folks here but, for that to happen, there needs to be more here here! :smile:

As for orphans, I think its more like "long lost family" - but not for long! :grin: Wait till this Wednesday (Sept 21) , I think you will really see some changes you'll enjoy. ;)

Vern
--
Vern Graner
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi again,

Ok it's Wednesday :smile:

Can't wait to see the changes.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
VernGraner

Post by VernGraner »

MrAl wrote:Hi again,

Ok it's Wednesday :smile:

Can't wait to see the changes.
Counting Down!!! :D

Standby for launch.. in 3... 2... 1... :grin:

Vern
--
Vern Graner