Radiant Energy Device Not So Free

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mikev

Radiant Energy Device Not So Free

Post by mikev »

Hi everyone! Recently I have gotten a bug to build a radiant energy device with 1N34A Germanium Diodes. Starting small I will require four diodes and four capacitors. Normally I get most of my components from Mouser Electronics. As I checked out, I found shipping to be approx. eight dollars to ship eight components! I am most likely going to order anyway. As a student seeking into the knowledge of electrons, robotics and computer science. Can anyone give me any ideas on what else I should order? I was wondering if there is a general component list that may be in everyones inventory. Eventually as I get matured into the field I may have more components than I know what to do with! Thanks for any responses!
sghioto

Re: Radiant Energy Device Not So Free

Post by sghioto »

Try ordering from Digikey. They offer first class mail delivery at $2.56 for a small order like yours. You should also check into the discount offered when buying components in larger quantities. It's usually cost effective in buying small components in lots of ten or more.

Steve G
jwax

Post by jwax »

Welcome mikev!
Totally agree with Steve- buying inexpensive components one by one is not very efficient. Buy in 10 (or more) packs. Resistors- 100's. Most suppliers have component kits of common values.
A word regarding your project- Don't expect to be measuring a whole lot of "Free Energy".
WA2RBA
mikev

Post by mikev »

HAHA! Ok. If energy really was free in a practical manner then everyone would have a device or there would be antennas everywhere! Maybe I can get next to a radio tower without melting. Not very practical as well. Honestly I am more interested in the knowledge - know how of the general environment of what the circuit does, is supposed to do, and theory of operation. I love to learn and increase my knowledge. As for the components. I waited a little bit to see what else I need for other circuits and to collect a little more funds as stated above to buy bundles at one time. Thanks for the replies!
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If we know what city you were in, we might be able to come up with a store (though thats getting quite rare these days to find a store within the shipping cost of your gasoline mileage)
mikev

Post by mikev »

Yuma, AZ. Fry's Electronics in Phoenix or San Diego may have something. They are both equally 250 mi either direction.
Jim Barrett

Post by Jim Barrett »

Didn't Niki Tesla have some kind of device like this? I think I remember he took it to JP Morgan for backing & Morgan rejected him 'cause there was no way for JP to make money off of it?
mikev

Post by mikev »

A quick search returned that event did occur in 1892. But I think he was nice enough to hand niki off to another company.