sad news^2

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
sofaspud

sad news^2

Post by sofaspud »

Lenp

Re: sad news^2

Post by Lenp »

Great sorrow....
I have spoken with Bob and read his diatribes for years.
Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

Wow, i almost cant believe that. He did some very good articles for National Semi. When you read them you always learned something.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Bob Pease And Jim Williams both gone within a week of each other. What a great loss to the analog electronics world!
jwax

Post by jwax »

Tragic. Double tragic. His writings and sketches educated and entertained most of us for decades.
Damn.
WA2RBA
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

For any one interested, EDN Magazines website is running a series of articles on these guys. Jim williams is in the lead as of now, but I expect a follow up with Bob Pease articles shortly. Very interesting reading, especially for analog lovers.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

It seems odd that a guy who wrote a book on how to drive out of accidents would have a one-car accident whlie not wearing a seatbelt. Bob was "all ate up" with his VW bugs and their ability to pass California emissions checks with no problem, always keeping the engine tweaked up for that. I wonder if he ignored things like steering gear linkages that get a little problematic on cars pushing 500,000 miles as his apparently do. The original bugs weren't well known for their ability to win against a head-on with a tree.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Or it could have been he was very distraught by his life long friends passing. He had just left a memoriam for Jim Williams and maybe didn't have all his thoughts on the road at that time. I've been in those hills and tho the elevations are not all that high, the roads are steep and winding.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Regardless, as cantankerous as he was (boy, am I one to talk!), he was a fantastic engineer, had a lot of great ideas and designs, good insight and was a great influence on National Semiconductor and the analog electronics industry as a whole. He will be missed.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I wonder if he ignored things like steering gear linkages that get a little problematic on cars pushing 500,000 miles as his apparently do.
Mercury News speculated it may have been a stroke or heart attack of his own. In any case, someone up there must have needed to staff up for a big analog project. Perhaps we shall see an upgrade to the northern lights. It was a week before the story broke, I doubt we shall know the cause.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Robert Reed wrote:Bob Pease And Jim Williams both gone within a week of each other. What a great loss to the analog electronics world!
I just found out that Tony Van Roon of "Tony's Website!" also died recently, Feb 14, 2011.

http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/index.htm

It's a good place for various hobby circuit diagrams, but you take your chances 'cause there are errors in the diagrams.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.