epson printer fix-it question stylus photo 2200

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

epson printer fix-it question stylus photo 2200

Post by dacflyer »

have a printer here that's on the fritz.
the paper light and all ink lights flash alternatly.
i went to the Epson website, went thru the troubleshooting pages. and then dead ended with
contact repair center Grrrr.
anyone have any exp. with this sort of printer? its not cheap, uses 7 different ink cartridges :O
i looked over some stuff, but seen nothing obviously broken.
is there anyway to find out what is broken on this ?
reloadron

Re: epson printer fix-it question stylus photo 2200

Post by reloadron »

Hi Ya DAC. I gave this link a read which made some sense. That link took me over to this link. The service tool may be of some help to you.

Ron
dobrien

Post by dobrien »

You could try this site:
http://fileshare.eshop.bg/download.php?fileid=33840
It is a multi rar file.
Good luck!
dobrien

Post by dobrien »

My mistake the previous link points the the first file in the chain.
This points to the main page.
http://fileshare.eshop.bg/equipment_mfg ... to_22.html
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks guys..

here's what i found, and it worked.

Below, the procedure how to reset waste ink pad counter of Epson Stylus Photo 2200.
Procedure:

Preparation: Make sure the printer is OFF and power cable is unplugged. Disconnect the computer interface cable at the back of the printer.
1. After discharge the printer about one minute, plug the power cable
(do not plug interface cable first)
2. Hold down the ROLL and the PAPER ADVANCE buttons simultaneously.
3. Turn on the printer. after 2 blinks, all the ink lights come on
4. Release the ROLL and PAPER ADVANCE buttons .
5. Press and hold the ROLL button for 10 seconds.
6. Release the ROLL button and the printer will be initialized (while resets the Waste Ink Pad counter.
7. Once initialization is complete, turn the printer power off.

Your printer work normally now.

and it did, but i had the chassis out of the printer body, so when it went to initialize it pooped ink all over the table.. good thing it cleaned up easily.
also the waste ink pads were really soggy like a lil kids diaper..lol
since i know the ink is water soluble, i took the pads out and ran hot water thru them for almost 30 min til i did not see any more ink flow out of them, squeezed out excess water, will let then dry out over night , then put it all back together again..
not sure how much new pads would cost, but i can order them for next time.
but at least its all working like new again.. :D
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Good deal and glad it is working again for you.

Ron
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Good for you, I had to abandon my last Epson and my last Cannon due to an inability to reset the print head counter. Now I only use brnads who include the print head attached to the print carteridge because they are simple to replace if they become clogged and unrefillable. The ink status light blinks forever since its still hard to reset the counters in those carteridges.

Most of those print cartridges have an eprom in them now but the ones that can be reset number less than 5. Hacking the eproms in print cartridges would yeild a resetting tool you could monopolize on ebay refill markets. A worthy project I suggest.

TIP: rather that throwing out old obsolte print cartridges, suck out the ink and use that to refil your new ones until you buy a proper ink refill kit.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

dacflyer wrote: 2. Hold down the ROLL and the PAPER ADVANCE buttons simultaneously.
3. Turn on the printer. after 2 blinks, all the ink lights come on
4. Release the ROLL and PAPER ADVANCE buttons .
5. Press and hold the ROLL button for 10 seconds.
Dont forget to click your ruby slippers together 3 times. hehe

I hate those codes. My Chev S-10 pickup has a secret code in the "Dome Override" pushbutton. Push it repeatedly until you hear the electric gong sound. That turns off your DRLs and your automatic headlights. Do it again and they come back on. I stumbled on that one accidentally. It is not documented in the owners manual.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
jwax

Post by jwax »

I agree Bob. Those "Vulcan Nerve Pinch" manuevers drive me crazy.
Ever try to reprogram a remote for a car? :mad:
Plus, after using a remote start on your car, hop in, and turn the key to start because you forgot you remote started it already? GRIND! Why the *^$@ can't they lockout the starter motor if the engine is already running? 8 million transistors in there, but that one function can't be installed? Maybe that's just my Nissan.
Rant off.
WA2RBA
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

lets not get onto cars,, i could fill this page up with my metro and the mysterious ghost locks.

since i got the printer going, i now need to find waste ink pads for it. the old ones were soggy wet like a kids diaper, i was able to wash them out in very warm water, til i saw no more ink flow out of them. i squeezed them out and i am gonna let them dry out in the sun..but i was starting to think,,,what if they do not work again as good as they should..Hmmm
i tried to search for new pads. no luck, i think i may have to get them from a distributor .
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

OK, I feel this urge to add my own totally off topic material to this thread.

This being February means that along with another birthday the registration on my truck was due for renewal. My trusty truck is an old GMC Yukon XL. Registration and new plates also means it is time for state mandated emissions testing. Now I remember emission testing from a few years ago. This involves placing the vehicle on a dynamo meter and running it while measuring tailpipe emissions, sort of the truck takes a trip and never leaves the testing center. That is how I remembered it from a few years ago. There was always one clear rule. If the vehicle check engine light was lit, they would not test the vehicle till it was repaired. Well, my check engine light was lit and has been lit for about a year. I know exactly why it is lit.

During a 3 year period GM mounted a rear anti knock sensor below the intake manifold in a recess which can collect water. Great engineering there. The cable gets wet and then some corrosion sets in. The OBD II (On Board Diagnostics) picks right up on this and throws a flag. Thus the check engine light comes on. I knew exactly what the error code was and why it was.

Knowing the truck would not be tested and not wanting to pay several hundred bucks to remove and replace a sensor that was not likely faulty my goal was to reset the computer. Make the light from hell simply go away. The truck runs fine and is not spewing a gazillion hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. The truck runs just fine and has one of two anti knock sensors working just fine. So I do some reading and disconnect the battery for maybe 15 min. Reconnect and start the truck. The light from hell again illuminates. Even the radio remembered all the programmed stations. Again I try and this time short the battery cables, turn on ignition, you name it and I tried it. Everything defied Google. The light would not die. Talk about non volatile memory? I considered unloading a rifle into the computer. Eat this and die!

Obviously this was going nowhere fast so I changed gears and plan. I went to the auto parts store and bought my handy dandy Actron Auto Scanner on sale for $99.95 down from $149.95. Connected to the OBD II port and cleared the computer. Alas, the light from hell was finally extinguished! This was more reasonable than about $400 to remove the intake manifold. I was elated with my accomplishment. I was off to the testing center.

Life is full of surprises and I got my latest surprise. With the truck in the bay the first thing they do is connect a cable to my OBD port? What the hell? What happened to tailpipe emissions testing? So their computer has a conversation with my trucks computer which tells them it was just reset. Meanwhile I am looking at their screen thinking this can't be good. At this point the tester comes out and tells me there is a problem, my computer was recently reset. At this point I firmly plant a surprised look on my face and he ask if I recently replaced the battery or gave someone a jump start? OK, I reply matter of fact yesterday I jump started a guy at work. The assumption here is that a sudden excessive load on the battery somehow caused the computer to reset itself. I like that thinking, even though the light from hell would not go out sans battery. They ask if I will sign a waiver fr tailpipe emission testing? Hell yeah I will.

The reason for the waiver is under the old system they had problems with AWD drive vehicles like the wife's jeep. The dyno meter can only handle 2 wheels of drive. They kept crashing vehicles. I signed the waiver and assured them the ruck was in two wheel drive mode and not 4 WD. They ran the test using the old methods and the truck passed across the board with all emissions not even measuring 10% of allowable for that make and model.

When summer comes I'll worry about that damn light but till then it can glow all it wants.

<EDIT> Sorry DAC I was typing the car thing when you posted. :) </EDIT>

Ron
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

dacflyer wrote:lets not get onto cars,, i could fill this page up with my metro and the mysterious ghost locks.

since i got the printer going, i now need to find waste ink pads for it. the old ones were soggy wet like a kids diaper, i was able to wash them out in very warm water, til i saw no more ink flow out of them. i squeezed them out and i am gonna let them dry out in the sun..but i was starting to think,,,what if they do not work again as good as they should..Hmmm
i tried to search for new pads. no luck, i think i may have to get them from a distributor .
First, again sorry about the automotive post I did as you were posting. :(

As to the pads. When users use the clean print heads feature more often the pads fill quick. Cleaning the ink heads involves squirting ink (plenty of ink) through the print heads into the pads (or reservoir). You may be able to replace with some cut up diaper sections or gauze pads cut to fit. Anything very absorbent.

Ron
Robert Reed

Re: epson printer fix-it question stylus photo 220

Post by Robert Reed »

Ron
I had a similar problem with a Brake 'fault' light. Not a thing wrong with the brakes. All efforts could not extinguish the light. Then the final solution-one square inch of black electrical tape. Problem solved, out of sight & out of mind!
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Robert Reed wrote:Ron
I had a similar problem with a Brake 'fault' light. Not a thing wrong with the brakes. All efforts could not extinguish the light. Then the final solution-one square inch of black electrical tape. Problem solved, out of sight & out of mind!
Let me guess......
You listen to "Car Talk" a lot on NPR right? :lol:

Back to the Ink Sponges......
I've had a cheap Lexmark inkjet a part{$39.95}.
The sponges in it looked like they were the same as a soldering iron tip cleaning sponge.

But since the ink is water soluble.
I would think you could take pretty much any sponge,
and cut it to fit the ink catch pans.
Though I think a hard sponge, vs a soft sponge would work the best.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i thought the same thing to use something very absorbant, but this has quite a few of them in a maze, and in puzzle shapes. there are a few small ones that are neat the print head, that i am unable to duplicate. so i washed them all out the best i could, and reused them. i will find a set somewhere and have them handy for next time it needs serviced.
the whole bottom of this printer is a catch basin.. and its as wide as the printer, but only 1/2 was soggy..
when the pads say 10-15lbs, they wern't kidding..lol