MAC Question

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
dacflyer

MAC Question

Post by dacflyer »

me and a friend are having a discussion about Thunderbird mail.
is this a server based mail system like gmail or is it stored on your computer like outlook?
reason i ask, is she has TONS of emails and she is having a hard time to transfer them all to another computer.. she is actually mailing them to herself, then downloading them on her new computer..
is there a simpler way to transfer all email files ( flash drive ) then put them back into a folder in her new mail system ?
i know like in windows you can transfer your WAB ( addredd book )
so i am assuming theres a way to transfer all emails once outlook has downloaded them..

and this is what were wanting to do with her thunderbird mail..
any MAC guys out there ?
thanx
ltx71cm

Re: MAC Question

Post by ltx71cm »

Thunderbird, Outlook and other similar programs are just front ends to access a mail server elsewhere using the POP or IMAP protocols. What email service does your friend use? Hotmail, Gmail, Aol.com, Yahoo, etc.? If your friend has been downloading messages using POP she may only have the one copy of each message which is cause for concern. Your wording however, suggests your friend is using IMAP, which is good here. All your friend needs to do is login and check the settings for IMAP. Gmail for instance will let you set it so only messages from the current time forward get transferred or all messages get transferred. You want option B. On the new computer, (Mac with Thunderbird?) your friend needs to add her mail account as a new account and access each folder one by one. Provided she hasn't adjusted settings Thunderbird will pull down all of her old messages automatically and store a copy locally. This has worked for me with 100,000+ old emails. In Thunderbird you can even select all of the emails you want to save (CTRL+A or Shift+Left Click top and bottom messages) then right click and select save as, this will save each email as its own file. For the Outlook like approach Thunderbird does have a single file per account folder that contains the messages in aggregate. You'll find this file somewhere in the depths of the Documents And Settings folder in XP.
ltx71cm

Post by ltx71cm »

Alex Rose wrote:But I am a bit confused. Is there a Thunderbird for Mac? or do Mac users have to setup their email account form the MAIL icon that appears?
A Mac user can use either one (or both technically). There is a Mac version of Thunderbird which can be found here. Choose your operating system, preferred language and enjoy.
ltx71cm

Post by ltx71cm »

Alex Rose wrote:[url]http://www....com/[/url]
How embarrassing, your "SEO" is showing. :-/

Moderators, you know what to do.