12C509 programming

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

12C509 programming

Post by dacflyer »

what is the easiest language to use to program these 8 pin chips?
i have a e-prom burner a "mod-mep 1a"
i'd like to know learn to program these..but i have no clue as to how...i need to start getting into these...as i am slowly out growing
"non-microprocessor" circuits..this 8pin micro looks like a good starter..since it is very basic
2power connections and 6 I/O's
is the language or program difficult to learn/use<p>where is that book for dummies {:>P
L. Daniel Rosa

Re: 12C509 programming

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

There are compilers available for the microchip uCs in several languages. If you have ever programmed in machine code for a 6502 (or variant)you'll find that the commands aren't too different, but the addressing modes are limited.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

hey Danial>>
i have no clue to programming at all !
where does one start ?
i do not even know DOS...i can just reformat a computer...thats the extent of my dos knowledge..lol
LucidGuppy

Post by LucidGuppy »

Pic Basic by melabs isn't so bad for pic chips - and it produces hex files that any programmer can use. Its slower than asm but good for general use. See if www.melabs.com picbasic pro supports the chip your working with.<p>Cheers
Why don't you give yourself a nice big round of applause!
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

Ouch! That's a tough place to start.<p>Variants of C and BASIC are both available on a lot of platforms. The main benefit is getting the program written quickly.<p>If you are willing to commit to the PIC series exclusively and want the tightest and fastest code, then you can justify going with native code. Microchip has been nice about upward compatibility of code mnemonics, and family compatibility of code fragments.<p>A good place to start without buying anything is to download a datasheet and look at the instruction set summary. If you can understand the explanations of the commands, then you can probably program with them.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thats my problem , where does one learn the basics of the language to program these.
i have no ideas of how to program them or write the code etc...knowhatimean?<p>i know what i want the chip to do , i just have no clue as to programming..
i am sure my e-prom programmer will do the job if i can just write the codes...
Tommy volts

Post by Tommy volts »

dacflyer,<p>When you get it all figured out and built please let me know how you did it. I have been programming 16 pin microcontollers for years and didn't know there were 8 pin mcus easily and cheaply available. <p>I use a programmer I built myself and MPLAB(free) for my assembler howver 16 pin mcus are overkill for most of the applications I do which usually only require a 4 or 5 I/O pins.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i haven't done nothing yet...a friend proggrammed a few of these 8 pin chips...i haven't tried nothing yet myself...but i want to learn...<p>check out this page...it tells all about this chip..<p>http://www.futurlec.com/Microchip/PIC12C509.shtml<p>like i said , its a 8 pin DIP chip ....lol sounds funny<p>its got 6 I/O's and the power in..and it can use 12volts in..not just 5volts like many others<p>the ones i had made for me by my friend,,he made me a 2 way traffic light for model railroad scenery , all it had was the chip and leds..plus the appropiate resistors...and that was it :p <p>so if someone can point me to a way to get started i'd be happy...i also think playing with these 8pin chips is a lot cheaper than a pic starter kit..especially when i do not know nothing at all about code or what ever i need to know..
i still like off the shelf IC's , but some stuff i want to do just has no choice but to have a microprocessor...
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

Dacflyer, unless you alreasy have the '509s I recommend getting the 12F675 or 12F683. The 12x5xx have 12 bit cores while the 12x6xx have 14 bit cores. Granted there are more registers to deal with when initializing the chip (lack of registers necessitates two "extra" commands potintially unsupported in later families), but there are also more features.<p>Also, anything with a "c" in the middle is either write once (OTP) or UV erasable- but the "f" means electrically erabable (flash). The "f" is also often less expensive to manufacture so cheaper for the customers.<p>Be careful with the supply too. I'm unaware of any of the PIC series besides the 16x5x that can handle over 6 volts, and those that can have HV in the designation.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok,, so i pick a different chip....BUT WHERE DO I LEARN TO PROGRAM THEM....
am i going to have to take a collage course?
or...........?????????
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

dacflyer: I have a little booklet called "Understanding Small Microcontrollers" by James Sibigtroth. It was originally published by Motorola in the early 90's and I got it with one of my HC6805 development kits. It's now available for free online at:
http://www.ece.utep.edu/courses/web3376 ... ollers.pdf<p>From what I remember it was a pretty good book and teaches the basics of programming small MCUs (with an obvious Motorola bias :-)<p>I have started to write small articles on my website (in my .sig) about embedded systems development, but content is still pretty sparse. Perhaps as time permits, I'll write a short tutorial on programming the Atmel AVRs -- my current favorite. What kind of information would you like to see in such a tutorial?<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dacflyer:
ok,, so i pick a different chip....BUT WHERE DO I LEARN TO PROGRAM THEM....
am i going to have to take a collage course?
or...........?????????
<hr></blockquote>
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

just basic understanding on how to start to understand how to program one / or how does one start to make simple codes / commands etc..
somehting easy to start with...something that could be called...programming for dummys? :p
or somehting such as that...
dnszero

Post by dnszero »

Check out the piclist at:<p>http://www.piclist.com/techref/piclist/index.htm<p>There's a ton of usefull info there. Also a quick search on Google should bring up about 3 or 4 million relevant hits, but hopefully you already tried that.<p>Also, Programming and Customizing PIC Microcontrollers by Myke Predko is a great book on the subject (a bit heavy, but pretty complete).
Thank God I'm not too early!
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks,,, i will look into it...hope i understand it :p
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

well i have read and read,,,i still cannot make any sence of this...they really do not go into how to understand the fundimentals,,or how to program...
i am starting to think that programming chip are beyond my understanding.