Happy Thanksgiving

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
CeaSaR

Happy Thanksgiving

Post by CeaSaR »

To all of those who celebrate, Happy Thanksgiving.

May we all be thankful for everything in our lives, family, friends, even
those we have not met, yet. To all of my fellow enthusiasts, thank you
for being here and a part of my life.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
ltx71cm

Re: Happy Thanksgiving

Post by ltx71cm »

Thanks, same to you. Have fun today.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Thanks and the same back at you. It was a nice quiet day of great food on this end.

Ron
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

reloadron wrote:Thanks and the same back at you. It was a nice quiet day of great food on this end.

Ron
Hey you American guys, does pardoned turkey taste better than non-pardoned turkey? ;-)
What were they guilty of?

We usually make our turkey self-basting by adding strips of bacon on top of the turkey. They turkey comes out moist, plus you have bacon! It's a trick passed on by the "Galloping Gourmet". (You have to drain the fat off the top of the gravy though.)
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Bob Scott wrote:
reloadron wrote:Thanks and the same back at you. It was a nice quiet day of great food on this end.

Ron
Hey you American guys, does pardoned turkey taste better than non-pardoned turkey? ;-)
What were they guilty of?

We usually make our turkey self-basting by adding strips of bacon on top of the turkey. They turkey comes out moist, plus you have bacon! It's a trick passed on by the "Galloping Gourmet". (You have to drain the fat off the top of the gravy though.)
Well Bob I'll tell you. There are no pardoned turkeys in my life (excluding a few I work with). All turkeys taste good to me, some better than others but all good. I like the bacon approach. Many of us I figure were just destined in life to be carnivorous and I am in that group. A tofu turkey just would not work. I do prefer fresh killed (not frozen) as far as that goes.

Maybe about 20 years ago after my wife and I were just married I told her I would prepare the turkey. Oh this woman of little faith. I told her I wanted to slow cook a turkey outside over charcoal and apple wood. Her doubt was so great we bought two turkeys that year. There was the Ron turkey and the Kathy turkey with plenty of guest invited to dinner. The Ron turkey went on the grill at about 6 AM with fresh cut apple wood from one of our trees with charcoal while hers went in the gas oven. The Ron turkey had marinade and olive oil injected under the breast skin and I have no idea what the Kathy turkey got. I worked that bird all day adding wood and charcoal. It was a 14 pound bird (about 7 Kg). Slowly with love and care I tended to that bird.

When the time came, both turkeys hit the table. Within an hour the Ron turkey was reduced to skeletal remains. Even she had to admit defeat and how good a slow cooked, gently smoked turkey could be. I mean hell, did the pilgrims have a natural gas fired oven? I think not. The bacon strips sound good, I must try that. Maybe starting with an outdoor cooked chicken.

Since that fateful day many turkeys have served us well including a few I french fried. Kathy has also come to know that an engineering technical type does not mean a lack of culinary expertise! :)

Ron
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

thanks.. it was great.. Happy thanksgiving a little late to everyone also.. Seasons best for the rest of the holidays.. and Merry Christmas to all..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
ringo47stars

Post by ringo47stars »

I went fishing for a few hours thanksgiving day. It was quiet and peace-full on the pier with hardly any one there. I had some good ham to use for bait and when it looked like I wasn't going to catch anything I dropped the float and let the bait go the crabs. I hauled in a crab that was caught in my line. So that's like peace, love and crabs. And Merry Christmas.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Thanksgiving 2011

I am thankful for all who have come into my life,
I am thankful for all who will come into my life,
For those whose lives I have come into, hopefully they are thankful too.

Happy Thanksgiving.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

A belated Happy Thanksgiving wish to all. Wow another year has passed. It was a great day, my son and grandson were up for a visit and for Cleveland we are enjoying some unseasonably warm sunny weather. A great meal complimented with great beer and finally a good cigar after dinner. :)

Ron
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

all day supervised cooking, good thing you had the day off and it's only once per year. When did you have time to read all the black friday ads? ;) or did you use them to cook the bird

Engineers often make great cooks, we try to understand the process of cooking at a scientific level and are willing to research upgrades. Ever cook with LN2, Many new recipes since I once tried.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Thanksgiving 2012.

May all who celebrate have happy Thanksgiving with family and friends. To those less fortunate
or have been affected by natural disaster, my thoughts and prayers go out to you. May your day
have a bright spot and may subsequent ones be better.

For those that don't celebrate, may you have a wonderful day with friends and family also.

CeaSaR

Bird's done, pies almost done, stuffing and sweet potatoes are in progress! Shaping up
to be a glorious day.
Hey, what do I know?
gerty

Post by gerty »

Happy Thanksgiving to all! We had our strangest turkey day meal of all this year, Steak!!
Turkey tomorrow at our sons house... :grin:
Lenp

Re: Ringo47stars...Happy Thanksgiving

Post by Lenp »

ringo47stars wrote: I hauled in a crab that was caught in my line. .
Question! We were in San Francisco, at the tourist oriented Fisherman's Wharf and saw tons of Dungeness Crabs.
What's with the way they are cooked? Boiling them with no seasoning..Yikes..They were tasteless and you buy them by weight, half crab, half water. Here on the East Coast we have Blue Crabs, that are somewhat different then the West Coast variety. We buy then by the dozen or bushel, not by weight, and sizes determines the price. The rite of passage is steaming them, Not boiling them, with several spices, or using McCormick's Old Bay seasoning. I wonder how your crabs would fare with that cooking method! BTW: We also steam shrimp in a similar manner, NO BOILING ALLOWED :shock:
http://www.goodfoodgourmet.com/restaura ... -maryland/

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Thanksgiving 2019

I am thankful that I am still here on this green earth.
I am thankful that my family is with me.
I am thankful for my relative health.
I am thankful for my friends.
I am thankful for all of you.

Happy Thanksgiving.
CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Can't improve on that … Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Dale Y