PCB Oz rating and A capacity?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bob332

PCB Oz rating and A capacity?

Post by bob332 »

hello.

i build and fly multi-rotor radio controlled copters. currently have been flying the 4 rotor versions and when building a power distribution pcb, a friend and i came up w/ a design and we milled it out. total size is less than 2" x 2" w/ trace cutouts as we are just using 1 side of a 2oz pcb. nobody can give me a max amount of A for the traces and i am wondering if there is a formula to figure out what the pcb trace can handle w/out an additional Cu wire soldered onto the traces. i have attached a pic of the current power distribution board, not fully finished, just has the connectors that go to the electronic speed controls which feed the motors. i need to solder on the main power feed that will connect to a battery that is 12.6V max and can burst upto ~50A. for size reference, the distance between the traces is .060 (1/16")

a friend of mine is currently flying this same board w/ no beefing of the traces and is pulling at least 20-30A if not more w/ no issues, but we don't want to burn through a trace because these quads don't glide, they just drop and weighing 2#s or so, don't want that to happen.

tia,
bob
CeaSaR

Re: PCB Oz rating and A capacity?

Post by CeaSaR »

Put "PCB Trace Width" in the search box next to the Servo Magazine logo above and
click on the post of the same name. You'll find the answers there.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?