Is this forum dying?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Robert Reed

Is this forum dying?

Post by Robert Reed »

I joined up about 5 years ago and at that time there was a lot of activity with at least 50 regulars. since returning from a month out of state in August, there has been less and less activity here dwindling steadily (with an increase in spam). It seems we are down to just a handful of regulars now with spotty activity. I have been very busy the last few months, having taken on a job as general contractor for a large residential building project and it has occupied almost every hour of my time. This will be coming to a "winter" closing in about a month so I myself have had limited time to do any posting. Maybe all you others are in a similar situation or could be that the economy has slowed down projects. At any rate its seems that the forum is a mere shadow of what it was in the past.
ltx71cm

Re: Is this forum dying?

Post by ltx71cm »

This forum certainly doesn't have the traffic some of the other sites I use do. It reminds me of this forum I used to frequent many years ago. Microcontrollers and Arduinos are steadily becoming popular with youngsters while almost all of the good ole fashioned clever design and elegance has gone out the window. There was something special about projects hobbyists used to undertake, they took ingenuity, now it takes a download and a $30 Arduino.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hello,

I couldnt help but notice the low activity also. For myself, if no one posts anything that interests me then i dont respond unless i have an idea that might help, but then it has to be something that i would know about too. With the few people that do visit i guess there arent that many questions and interests are probably limited with a limited number of people. I myself was doing other things too but i always find time to come back at least once every two days probably at the very least. I post on other sites too and it seems there is more interest there simply because there are more people going there every day and questions abound.
I am surprised that more people dont visit this site and always was rather surprised about that. I wonder if there is any way to advertise a site like this to try to attract new members. Maybe people are so busy on the other sites they dont see much point in another site?
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Sites like this seem to peak during certain times of the year, pretty much true of just about all forums. I have two electronic forums I frequent and lately work has me busier than ever before. My forum time less the weekends has really dropped. Just like the peaks there are valleys and this time of the year is always quiet in forums.

My subscription to Nuts N Volts has lapsed and I want to get that going again. I would think the magazine could promote the forums here? Little pointers here and there in the magazine maybe?

Ron
sghioto

Post by sghioto »

Probably all of the above mentioned reasons.
As MrAl stated if the post doesn't interest me and/or I don't know enough about the topic to contribute then I don't.
From my point of view the topics have not been interesting enough lately.

Steve G
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

I have noticed the reduction in activity, I probably log on at least 3-4 times a week, though I rarely post. I have learned a lot learn a lot from the questions and answers I see presented. I am hopeful it's just a temporary lull. I think we have a lot of good years left here.

best to all

Tom
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

it does seem a little slow here, i have a hard time to even find any others in my city here that are interested electronics..kind of a lonely hobby here..

i too am guilty of even have started slowing down in my own shop.. but i am sure it will pick up, not that its getting cold outside and the days are shorter,
not to mention that i am working on another airplane also. :D its a fixxer upper..

as far as N&V i think it would be cool if there were more Q&A & Tech Forum questions in the magazine.
i still miss the big paper design.. the current magazine shiny paper design is just hard on the eyes when it comes to reading in certain light. ( reflections ) also does not seem to be as many advartisers in there as before also. i am still taking baby steps, more like crawling as far as micro controllers go. - i still like the conventional off the shelp parts projects.

i have had a few things i have made that i thought were nifty, but i do not think my stuff would ever be worthy of being in a artical here. maybe its just me, but most all projects in the magazine are so professional looking., maybe i am wrong ?

i hope things pick up for all soon..
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hello again,

Everybody went out trick-or-treating and forgot to come back :smile:
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

I have to admit that I only occationally take a peep in here. We had a period of repeated 'trolling' here, and I think that turned me off. I used to like to be here, but from what I see now there are little activity with the general themes we had before.

Living in Europe I have little knowledge and interest of the more esoteric US devices. :???:

A pity....

TOK ;)
Gorgon the Caretaker - Character in a childrens TV-show from 1968. ;)
gerty

Post by gerty »

I check in about 6 times a day, time allowing. I usually only post when I think I can help.
I have noticed traffic has slowed some. It wouldn't hurt for N&V to mention this forum a time or 2 in their articles and maybe generate some interest
jwax

Post by jwax »

I've been busy all summer with non-electronic projects.
Every forum has its busy seasons, and lulls in between.
Same with dacflyer around here- hard to find another electronics hobbyist in my area of Albany, NY.
Are hobbyists a dying breed? That's sad to contemplate! :sad:
WA2RBA
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Gentlemen (and I know you are out there... :wink: ),

I am guilty of being absent from the convos here, but I have started a new job that
really takes alot of my time. That, and my laptop took a dump along with the desktop
that needs repair. There also haven't been many questions that I can contribute to.

As for promotions, I have been plugging the forum and N&V over at Instrucables
whenever I can. I keep trying guys.

As for people interested in good old fashioned electronics, there are quite a few over at
the above mentioned website that want to learn (as I said, I keep trying to send them here.)

On another note, I am now in the process of putting together a dual LM386 (stereo)
headphone amp for my son so he can use the Lafayette quadrophonic headphones he
was given a couple of weeks ago. And {gasp} all the parts came from the local RS. :shock:
I am going to document it, photos and all. How's that for good old fashioned hobby building?

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

The original Gernsback forum was extremely active and then they gave it a new engine and forgot to check that there was oil in the crankcase. Then not much later, Gernsback died.

The forum at http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ seems to always be extremely active. I think it mostly has to do with those participating. I've seen where a person will post a question across several forums and that's the one where the activity will occur.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
fripster

Post by fripster »

hi all,

I check this forum every week or so, but can not contribute so much as the US devices are very different..
The (very busy) place I usually go to is http://www.circuitsonline.net which is Dutch like me.
They understand english though..

fripster
Once a WireHead, Always a WireHead
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Fripster
"They understand english though.."
The problem is I do not understand dutch. Is there a way to correct this?