Replaced a virus filled HD with a new one

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
sobeit

Replaced a virus filled HD with a new one

Post by sobeit »

Hello everybody. I have an issue with a Acer Aspire D250 and replace a new HD in it as for the original one was filled with viruses. This is my nieces Netbook so you can imagine the types of viruses created. The old HD would not complete a boot up without flashing the death of the blue screen then starting over and repeat. I put in a new HD (WD1600BEVT) and now I need to format the OS and load the Windows XP home into it. Keep in mind the Netbook does not have a CD drive into it. But it does have USB's. I tried downloading the drives to a thumb drive and setting the boot to the USB port to boot and all I get is a blinking line to the upper left hand corner. I know if anybody can help me it would be you guys. Please let's get this little laptop going again. Thanks for taking the time in helping me. Please help me!!
Tony
haklesup

Re: Replaced a virus filled HD with a new one

Post by haklesup »

Some BIOS won't boot SDHC or high capacity USB drive formatted with FAT32, they need a SD or 2G or less USB drive formatted with FAT16. This makes it hard to substitute for a DVD.

A USB DVD-ROM drive is around $40, with it you can use the OEM disc to install windows. I highly suggest you get one.

You may need to use the HDD manufacturer partition and format tools first. I think the bootable Windows install CD can do that though.
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Hi haklesup, I see no reason to get a DVD-Rom for a one time use. And with the Acer no software came with it, everything was already installed. Is there a site I can go to to download on a thumb drive the correct drivers?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Tony,

Please tell me you didn't throw out the old hard drive?

The thing is, Acer and a lot of companies now don't include a Backup CD.
They make it so that you the end user has to make a backup of the OS and any other software that is pre-loaded onto the hard drive.
Thus, when crap like this happens you can restore the hard drive from the backup disks.

I've gone and looked at the Technical spec's for this Netbook.
One of the pieces of software that is loaded onto the old hard drive is;
Acer® Recovery Management.
I'd plug the old hard drive back in and try to access that program.
You should have info on how to do that in your manual.
If you lost your manual, you can down load the PDF file from Acer.
If you can not access the Recovery Management program.
Then the hard drive is pretty much messed up.
A recovery maintenance software like Spinrite would be the next course of action.
But you would need to be able to some how get it on to the hard drive to run it.

Since you say you have the XP Home CD.
It would be easiest like haklesup says and make the First Boot Device in the BIO's settings the USB.
Then buy, borrow, a CD-ROM Player and do the install that way.

And you may need to down load some updates or drives from Acer Support.
http://us.acer.com/acer/service.do?Lang ... 2054404012

But really,
Just try plugging the old drive back in.
Bring the computer up in "Safe Mode" if you can.
Then run the Acer® Recovery Management program.
Note: Acer® Recovery Management program may be only accessed when
the computer is booting vie a boot manager.

Good luck!

Janitor Tzap
ltx71cm

Post by ltx71cm »

sobeit most computers these days come with the restore software as part of the hard drive. This software is typically contained within a hidden drive partition. By swapping the drive you lose that ability without purchasing restore media from the OEM.

As it stands I see a few issues, one you don't/didn't need to replace the hard drive, simply performing a full wipe would have sufficed and second there is no optical media drive.

To re-install a fresh copy of Windows (any version) you will need an optical drive. Windows will not boot from a USB stick. You're free to try Linux but I don't think that's appropriate given the circumstances. You need to rent, buy or borrow a USB optical drive. You will then be able to re-install Windows. Most computer companies will let you download all drivers from their respective sites but little else. You will need to download the drivers on a second computer and move them over using a USB thumbdrive since internet connections often fail to work without drivers.

Once all is said and done you'd have a bare Windows computer with no OEM add-on software of any kind, no music apps, extra games, etc., while some actually prefer this, you may not.
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Thanks guys for your inputs. I do have the old HD and I put it back in and did the "Alt Gr + F10" like I have read from the manual to go to recovery, but then I'll get beeping noise sometimes and go back to reboot after flashing the blue screen of death to rebooting again, repeatably. I tried all the boots in every option from F8 even Safe Mode and it does the same thing. I can't get any further into the booting mode to get to windows desktop. I dealt with a lot of hard drives with viruses and saved them but this one isn't letting in at all. More input please!! I thank you guys for you suggestions and help, greatly appreciated.
More input!!!
Tony
ltx71cm

Post by ltx71cm »

Blue screens are caused by bad drivers or bad hardware. Maybe it's actually bad hardware for once(normally not the reason I encounter a BSoD). Has the Netbook recently been dropped, wet, too hot? It may have been riddled with viruses AND on the brink of failing. I guess the only real way to know is to try a fresh copy of Windows.

As stated you'll need an optical drive to do a fresh install of Windows but to verify the hardware maybe you should make use of a Linux live environment. You can try booting Ubuntu(http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download -- Use the Netbook remix) and if it loads you can assume the hardware is still good and work on the hard drive.
ltx71cm

Post by ltx71cm »

What version of Windows did the Netbook come with?

You may have a few USB options but they're exclusive to Windows 7
http://store.microsoft.com/help/iso-tool
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga ... 35816.aspx
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Thanks ltx, This one had Windows XP Home installed. I will try out the sites you have posted and see what I can do.
Thanks for your help. Any more ideas are greatly appreciated.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I see no reason to get a DVD-Rom for a one time use.
It's like Potato chips, I bet you can't eat just one. I'm sure another use will come up eventually. You can just give it to your niece for christmas or something.
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

hi haklesup, I didn't mean to come on like that and I apologize, it's just this is so frustrating and expensive I just would like to fix this and be done with it. You do have an idea though, I did just get my DVD burner and that's a plug and play, would I be able to use that to transfer data?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

It should work if your DVD burner is an External USB Drive.

Just make sure the BIO's settings for BOOT Devices is: First BOOT Device is USB Port.

As for trying to work with the old Hard Drive......
I think your going too have to forget it.
From what you have told us, it sounds like the Hard Drive has failed in some way.

I would check your warranty.
Most Manufacturer warranties on systems, or Laptops are like 1 - 2 years.
Unless you took out an extended warranty.
Most Hard Drive Manufacturers have 2 - 5 years on there drives.
But that doesn't cover the software.
Also there may be restrictions as to who is responsible for the warranty coverage.
Acer or the Hard Drive Manufacturer.

Good luck!

Signed: Janitor Tzap
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Hey guys, thanks for your suggestions. The warranty on this is over due, it was only for a year. And as for the Windows CD to go through the USB DVD to the Acer all I end up with was a blinking dash on the left side of the screen. I set the boot to the USB port the DVD lit up like it was going to through some data through, but it just kept running and the blinking dash is still there. I need to get a hold of the proper OS set up for the drives. Any other suggestions?? Please help.
Thanks.
ltx71cm

Post by ltx71cm »

You need to verify the BIOS settings, one more time. Another option might be to install the drive in a laptop with a built in DVD drive and install it that way (remove all current hard drives first! always back up your data!). It's risky though. Windows installs certain kernel modules and drivers based on the computer it's being installed on which later won't match the Netbook. Netbook OEMs know they don't come with optical drives, USB booting and Netbooting are almost universally available.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Maybe I am missing something here but if you have moved all the contents of a Windows XP Home disk to a USB thumb drive and are trying to now boot from and install from that drive it won't work as there is more to doing the install from the USB drive. There are additional files needed to get it to work correctly.

Give this link a read. That is a pretty good tutorial of the several out there. Again if you just moved the content of the XP disk to the USB thumb drive that will not work.

<EDIT> The link though good info has lousy links to download the needed files. I suggest a Google of Install XP from USB drive. I'll look around for some good links. Again. additional files are needed to do this. </EDIT>

<EDIT YET AGAIN> OK, I found a better way to go about this with a file that actually is available and works. First Give This A Read. Now this tutorial uses a much simpler method to add the required files. The file you will need can be found on this page and I know it is a good file as I put it there. :) The file WinSetupFromUSB is right at the top of the downloads list. Just click the link on the page and you will download the file. Then right click the downloaded file and extract it. Further down the page there are instructions for unzipping it if you need them. From there just use the tutorial as it is written. :) </EDIT>

Ron