Anyone know if these work?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
psycho

Anyone know if these work?

Post by psycho »

I would think it might but there are a lot of different meters so I am not sure if it would work for every one of them.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... nkw=EM100B
haklesup

Re: Anyone know if these work?

Post by haklesup »

Dang, they stole my idea (to be fair I had it over 10 years ago and never persued it, they can have it)

It would only work on the spinning disc type of meter. I think the sensor is an optical pickup. If your utility ever replaces you with a smart meter, it would become useless. Its the only one Ive seen that has a chance of monitoring net usage real time, even the smart meter's touted online graph (if they ever implement it instead of advertizing it) will only show hourly data.

On a similar note, I saw that the Kill a watt now has a wireless display model.
psycho

Post by psycho »

My meter has the spinning disk, I believe. But instead of the little hands for the dial things, there is an LCD.

Thanks!
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i actually have one of these, but its made by a different company. but both are practally the same. they will work on the spinning disk or the optical types of meters, i have both types of meters at my house ( regular house meter ( spinning disk ),
and my solar production meter ( digital ).
they will work on almost any meter out there.. i bought mine from Northern Tools , it was for about $100.00 back then. :)
psycho

Post by psycho »

Awsome! But do they work correctly??? I think the idea is really cool but are they pretty accurate? If so I think I am gonna get one. It would be interesting to see the data.

Thanks!
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

The simple display it comes with looks like it repeats most of what the meter reports plus some modes of net usage but I doubt it can display a graph and I didn't see reference to a PC interface or software. An upgraded version with WiFi or bluetooth reporting to a server where you have software would be truely amazing. I wish the smart meter folks would see the opportunity they are missing to put PC enabled readers in the hands of the consumer.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

the one i have seems to be fairly ontarget,, its got settings to match up with the type meter you have.. they have a data tag. and it tells what meter you have.. such as PH1 or PH7 etc.
even when mine is in direct sunlight, it detects the black stripe on the disk as it goes by.
you just have to make sure you have it lined up just right.. took a little trial with mine..
it helps when you use a heavy load, so the stripe goes by a little quicker.. and as far as IR optical. it seems to do just fine also..
psycho

Post by psycho »

Well... If they have them on sale for $20 shipped again, I think I am gonna get one.

Thanks!
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

wow.. cannot beat that deal.. i paid over $100 for mine almost 2 yrs ago..