EM spectrum and the human body

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

EM spectrum and the human body

Post by haklesup »

Anyone know of a good book or web link that will help me understand how EM fields interact with the human body. In particular from DC to Ghz, which waves penertarte completely and which ones are absorbed and at what depth.<p>This is research designed to help a an old friend who claims to have Electrical Hypersensitivity. Ideally I want to either demonstrate (help them find) a repeatable trigger (EM source that causes neurological symptoms) or eliminate everything and show that the symptoms are mis-correlated with external EMF sources.<p>This person is suffering and is unplugging wires, avoiding transmission towers and emergency vehicles and buying test equipment they don't know how to use in an effort to find relief. Any advice is appreciated but I already know that this may not be caused by EMF at all. Keep an open mind and assume it is real for now. What might cause this and what signals can be tested?
rstofer

Re: EM spectrum and the human body

Post by rstofer »

There was an interesting graph in the 1994 ARRL Handbook that showed which frequencies were absorbed by the body. YOu might check your local library if you don't have a copy. Other years may be similar.<p>I doubt that it will be all that useful for your project but...<p>Where I worked, we were thinking of leasing the roof of one of our buildings for a cell phone site. Turns out the exact frequency of cell phones is the one most absorbed by the body. As we had to do periodic maintenance on roof mounted equipment, we gave it a pass.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I know a few frequencies that are harmful to the body, ones that were experimented with by the military as weapons. <p>One frequence is some where in the 400 MHZ RF range, and when powerful enough it attacks the calcium in the body much like a microwave does to the hydrogen molecule. <p>And then there is the MW oven frequency 2.4 gig and we all know what that does. <p>The slower 60 Hz has been studied better in places like Sweden where politics doesn’t play in, and some studies show massive amounts of 60hz such as high power lines does cause some immune system problems. <p>There are plenty of “resonant “ frequencies that are harmful to the body, some light frequencies that are harmful to the eye, some sound frequencies that cause nausea, and some pulsating frequencies of light that cause seizures.<p>You might try to google “psycho-tronic weapons” of the military? This covers a lot of ground.<p>This goes all the way back to WWII and although there isn’t much public information forthcoming, there are plenty of tid bits out there. <p>I have played with a few pieces of this type of equipment and the ones I have built, work. <p> The list is long.
ncstateboy81

Post by ncstateboy81 »

If you think that all of your friend's problems are strictly phycological it seems like it would be better to test out the shielding option first. Eliminating most EM (or even simply convincing him that its eliminated) seems simpler, and trying to excite the frequencies affecting his behavior could potentially actually affect him more as the others pointed out. Or, if it is in his head, it could provide reinforcement to further his behavior. Hope he gets better.
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

Suggest a nice long 5 - 10 day vacation up to the mountains, far away from civilization and all of the EMF it generates.<p>Chance are, it will cure lots of ailments, but in the off-chance that his medical problems continue, he'll know for sure its not EMF causing them.<p>Just an idea...
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

A vacation in the mountains does help. In fact my friend is going to Switzerland to recover where the effects aren't quite that bad. Perhaps the proximity to the Alps does help. <p>Shielding does also seem to help though I don't see how putting ESD dissipative plastic over AC wall receptacles would help unless it blocks the E field. Metal roofs also help. I have suggested a deep bath (water shielding) in a cast iron tub but am still awaiting results.<p>If there is a significant phychological component it is in the sense that the patient is experiencing sporatic nonspecific random neurological events and is trying to correlate these events with things in the envoirnment. Invisible waves that cannot be easily predicted, measured or reproduced fit the bill quite well. For now I am operating on faith that this is not the case.<p>Chris, your tip on 400Mhz and calcium does seem to lead somewhere. It seems that when the 400Mhz (or similar) is modulated on a VLF or ULF subcarrier, the waves do penetrate the body and supposedly cause effects to cells. See this link about The british TETRA police radio system. Some of it is a bit rhetorical (almost bias at times) but does make claims that fit nicely with my friends symptoms.<p>The Electrical sensitivity (ES) was contracted (supposedly) when my friend got sick house syndrome (black mold and heavy metal poisoning)and almost died from it. The ES is now the most significant symptom left (chemical sensitivities also exist but apparently not as debilitating as the ES) and seems to be slowly diminishing with treatment to remove the heavy metals.<p>Since heavy metals often deposit in new bone and bone is made of calcium. A theory that this signal can remobilize contaminants somehow seems plausable. The signal levels one would anticipate From the addition of stray 60Hz and radio signals seems like it would be too low to disturb biologic systems (even a compromised one) but what do I know about biology (I know squat)<p>With this new composite waveform in mind, I will probably recommend that he try to get an EMC compliance lab to generate the signal as 400Mhz give or take is beyond my function generator and would make plenty of interference for users of that band. The trigger HF freqquncy can be further narrowed down by determining the radio stations used by the vehicles that seem to be bothersome. <p>At this point, I don't think I am any closer to pinpointing a trigger but I do think I have helped by informing him of how EM waves really work and what observations make sense and which ones are based on false assumptions (IR light should not be a trigger). The experiments are really confounded by the fact that there is an undetermined delay in the onset and ending of symptoms. He simply does not react instantly like most electronic systems do and you can't connect a scope anywhere.<p>Thanks
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

haklesup<p>A couple of notes. The military weapons did work in the 400mhz band, and they damaged the bones in cadavers as part of their experiments. I wont quote the frequency, but from memory it was somewhere in the 450 to 480 MHZ range? <p> Slight dosages probably resonate the body and like you say, could possibly inflame any existing problems with the immune system.<p> When the immune system is low all sorts of things that don’t bother other people can kill you.<p> When I was contaminated by toxic materials in the work place and my immune system was at its lowest point, Sun light made me ill and that’s not exactly a “strong wavelength” of light.<p>Common elements that can be found in the ordinary house also made me ill, and the only recovery possible was to get out of the smoggy filthy city, and live in a clean environment for many years until the immune system could recover on its own. And besides, no traffic and clean air are always good for you. Id rather count cows than count traffic on the 10 freeways any day. <p>And if your friend lives in the Bay Area like you, your swamped by RF to the point that I believe ordinary people will soon also be showing these same symptoms when their immune system lowers just a little.