Connector Identification

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
trae

Connector Identification

Post by trae »

Hi all, my name is Trae. I have a board that was sent to me as a replacement for a slide stainer. The new board has different power connects. The MFG of the stainer wants me to buy a power supply and cable kit for $1000, but my power supply works.

here is a picture.. Can any one identify what mfg makes this so I can order the oposute end and build a new harness.

Thank you,
Externet

Re: Connector Identification

Post by Externet »

You need to browse DigiKey and Mouser sites checking the data sheets of connectors that show similar to find the mating plug;
Or,
Canibalize the jack from the defunct board being replaced, it has the one mating your existing harness and replace or wire it to the new board.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Trae
It smells a lot like something in the Molex line!
How about more info! Send some measurements, like pin to pin centers. Confirm you need a female since the board looks like it has male pins. Any high voltage, current?
I'll look when I get a chance

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
trae

Post by trae »

Well we just recieved the wire kit this morning. I thought molex as well, but I couldn't find anything with the larger rectangle pins. Also yes that was the male connector, I thought female b/c the male pin has a large opening. I will get measurements later today if possible for the curious, looks like ~1"l x 1/4"w. I have never seen the rectangular pins like this in a larger connector so I was lost. The MFG probably felt out wrath and with out notice we recieved the wires with the right connecting peices this morning, not even a packing slip. They had already lost our order, then sent the wrong parts, so dealing with them was not pleasent. Too bad they are the only people we can use.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

The critical dimension is the lead pitch (distance between pins) because you always have to option of removing the connector from the PCB and replacing both halves of the connector with one of the same pitch that is easier to find all the parts you need (including pins for wire or PCB mount). Measure in metric or english. Usually one comes out to a round number.

Heck, to save a $1000 I would solder wires to the board and use a molex 4 pin inline connector (as much as I hate them). You might find a footprint compatible connector (but not a mate) from Pheonix connectors as well. Don't forget to search Tyco parts too.
jimmy101

Post by jimmy101 »

Another possibility is to just measure the diameter (or length + width) of the individual pins. You can then buy bare matching receptacles form Mouser, Digikey etc. and make up your own cable without any shell at all. To keep the pins from shorting together install them into the connector on the board then fill the rest of the connector housing with hot melt glue.

Ya I know, pretty ghetto, but hot melt glue is an excellent insulator, strong enough for this app. and if needed can be completely removed at a later date.