Using webcams as security cameras

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
tbenner_forums

Using webcams as security cameras

Post by tbenner_forums »

Hi everyone!
I'd like to install some webcams around the windows of my home. Maximum number would probably be around 8. My ideal arrangement would be to have each webcam be able to collect images at a specified interval, and each webcam could save those images into a different folder. The image data would be sent via wi-fi to a computer. I'd also like to be able to start the recording at a certain time.
Does anyone know if a system like this is out there right now, and how much it would roughly cost? What about building one? This would sound like a fun project! Are there any articles which could point me in the right direction if a commercial system (hopefully somewhat cheap) does not exist?

[Tim]
psycho

Re: Using webcams as security cameras

Post by psycho »

In theory I think it could work. A microcontroller with a usb port and a driver for the webcam connected to a wi-fi module of some sort (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=9290, for example).

Now, the question is, do you want to invest the time and money to try it. Each camera would need a wifi module - however, you might want to get some old PCMCIA wifi cards - I would think you could get them cheaper than the above wifi module. Each camera station would need the USB microcontroller and some sort of wifi xcvr.

There may be better methods of implementation that I am not thinking of at this late hour :)

Would it work??? I think it would - but it would take time :)

Hope it helps,
Kevin
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

SUre there is software to aggrigate the video from a number of webcams for viewing on the web (just imagine a voyer site) but there are several choices to be made

WiFi enabled Webcam is probably the most expensive option for cameras
900Mhz Enabled webcam, many choices but unsecure from electronic peeping toms
Wired RF cameras, lowest cost cameras and lowest cost PC hardware but difficult installation, also most secure

Search eBay for serurity and camera related hardware. Look at DVR based systems and PCI card based PC only systems. Also take a look at the offerings on X-10 website. These references should give you a good overview of the hardware choices and associated cost/installation effort tradeoffs.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Another good source is:
http://www.supercircuits.com/
WA2RBA
binary

Post by binary »

You can use inexpensive web cams, from eBay and other sources, and use ZoneMinder for the software. ZoneMinder http://www.zoneminder.com runs under Linux. I'm running it at work with 6 Axis web cams (expensive though) to monitor 5 labs. I'm taking a snapshot every four seconds. Another way to use ZoneMinder is to setup "zones" and when the zones are active will record movement detected in the zones. Very nice software.
MorseDude

Post by MorseDude »

you need a socalled 'switcher'. They switch at a variety of timed intervals. Or you can view all 8 cams at the same time and select a screen with the click of the mouse.
...- .- ...-- .- ...- .-.
mykah093

Post by mykah093 »

I also used webcam as security cameras. I put my webcam on my cabinet near my TV and in front of my door. So I eventually watched what was going on to my house when I was not there. But now, I have been trying to find a good webcam security program. Can you recommend me? Thank you!
cnrysn

Post by cnrysn »

These years Megapixel IP Cameras have been widely applied for public and government projects, HD720P and HD1080P are the main stream in the market, and usually the industrial IP cameras comes with the relative platform software from the manufacturer, often the software can handle hundreds of IP cameras synchronously, I think it can meet your requirements completely.

You can consult Ryshin Technology at http://www.ryshin.com , the professional manufacturer of Network IP cameras.