Boston Acoustics BA635

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Wohali

Boston Acoustics BA635

Post by Wohali »

I am using Boston Acoustics BA635 on a desktop Dell with Windows 7. One of the speakers cuts out. If I twist the connection, it will work for a short while, then it cuts out again. Can I fix this, or do I have to get new speakers?
dyarker

Re: Boston Acoustics BA635

Post by dyarker »

The connector is dirty, or the wires inside the cable are broken and moving the cable temporarily lets the broken ends touch.

Cheers,
Dale Y
Wohali

Post by Wohali »

Thanks Dale.
I think it's the wires. New speakers here I come...
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Wohali wrote:Thanks Dale.
I think it's the wires. New speakers here I come...
Here I thought that Boston Acoustic made expensive high grade speakers. They must have sunk pretty low if you are replacing them for having bad connection wires.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
Wohali

Post by Wohali »

They are very high quality, but I've had them for over 10 years, LOL. They've had a good long life :grin: I think I'm going to keep them for my stereo system, which isn't used very often. I have no place to put regular sized speakers. I got a set of Altec speakers for the PC, and they are awesome. Great sound.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

10 years is acceptable for some wired connections if they get handled and moved occasionally.

I would try and replace the wires. Assuming these are hard wired to the speaker, cut the cable about an inch or two away from the speaker then thread the good part back into the speaker and resolder.

Its hard to describe an exact procedure but it should be possible to rewire it. A photo would help if you get stuck
Wohali

Post by Wohali »

Thanks for the tip :cool: