weather protectant

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cheapNdisgusting

weather protectant

Post by cheapNdisgusting »

Can anyone recommend a spray type moistureproofer to prevent corrosion in a high humidity environment like a boat control panel? Something that doesn't conduct and can be easily wiped off to change terminals. Copper terminal strips, tinned terminals, spade terminals, at 12 vdc.

Thanks in advance.
cNd
Lenp

Re: weather protectant

Post by Lenp »

There are a few options that are easy to deal with to coat the circuitry but there are also some trade offs. Some sprays, like WD-40 and silicone offer moisture resistance that is easily removed but they can also can collect grime and possibly salts. A true conformal coating probably offers the best protection and those are available as a thinned epoxy coating that hardens, is difficult to impossible to remove and may cause damage to wires by restricting movement. There are also those that are soft and peelable that are silicone or rubber based. I have used Pasti-Dip, either as a spray, brush, or dip. It is available as clear or colored, and can be peeled or cut to gain access and is easy to patch again. Best yet, it's available in small quantities, usually locally from home centers. It's electrical properties, 1400 volts/mil when cured is quite good. They also make a liquid tape with the same rating but it may have more desirable properties. I've not used the tape product. The item to be coated should be oil and dirt free. Cleaning it first with a non-residue electrical cleaner will assure better bonding with whatever product you use.
Here's the Plasti-Dip specs http://www.plastidip.com/docs/plastidip_uv.pdf

Nope, I have no profit interest in any of the products, I just know what has worked for me.
I used Plasti-Dip on an underwater camera connector project with good performance at depths to over 100' with no breakdown or corrosion issues.
Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Lenp,

Plasti-Dip is great for water proofing and sealing.
But since he is going to need to access the terminal strips and switches.
For installing or replacing wires.
He'll want to more easily be able to get at the terminal screws, and spade connectors to the switches.

WD-40, Liquid Wrench, or a silicone spray will work.
But it does dry out with time.

One thing that I use is ArmorAll on my car battery posts, and wires.
This keeps out the moisture and keeps the wires flexible.
I normally just spray it on, and wipe off the excess.
I will put it on in the Spring, and then in the Fall.

If he's more worried about the contacts inside the switches.
He can try some of the wonder cleaner DeoxIt, that Radio Shack sells.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

you probably want a "conformal coating". Typically used on PCBs after assembly, they can be applied to any circuitry. It comes in a spray can and isn't much different than polyeurethane varnish.

Some examples of a complete product line of coatings
http://www.ellsworth.com/conformal.html ... iQodoB5v5A
cheapNdisgusting

Post by cheapNdisgusting »

Thanks for all the answers and options. Got it fairly well covered. Some of it can be "plasti-diped" and I especially liked the idea on the Armour all (got some laying around.

Again, thanks for all the help.
cNd
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

liquid electrical tape is very similar to plastidip except it comes in a can with a brush lid applicator and is a little thicker so it dosen't ooze when applied. It is great stuff. I have only seen black. It also seems to have some kind of lumpy filler as it dries with a texture while plastidip is usually pretty smooth.

We use acrylic conformal coat and it comes off in a bath of Isopropyl.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

When I last had my battery replaced, my mechanic used this brown paint-like stuff to coat the terminals. It made the battery look great and kept the corrosion off for little over a year, so I suspect that the stuff would be OK if you touched it up every year. I assume that it breaks away easily to change the battery.

I know, I know. I had my mechanic change the battery? A lousy battery? I was stranded in town and he came to me. Besides, he was tired of folks putting those wrongly-named brand batteries in their vehicles (I was one). Wal-Mart calls them "Everstart" ... he, of course, calls them "Neverstart". I can agree with him on that one. They're short-lived products.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Dean Huster wrote:When I last had my battery replaced, my mechanic used this brown paint-like stuff to coat the terminals. It made the battery look great and kept the corrosion off for little over a year, so I suspect that the stuff would be OK if you touched it up every year. I assume that it breaks away easily to change the battery.
I just replaced my car battery a few months back.
Acid was coming up through the case round the posts.
{The battery was 5 years old, so it was time to replace it.}
The mechanic sprayed brown lithium grease on the posts to protect them.
Thou, I've known many mechanics that will use any old grease on the battery posts,
and really that's all you need to keep them from corroding.
I know, I know. I had my mechanic change the battery? A lousy battery? I was stranded in town and he came to me. Besides, he was tired of folks putting those wrongly-named brand batteries in their vehicles (I was one). Wal-Mart calls them "Everstart" ... he, of course, calls them "Neverstart". I can agree with him on that one. They're short-lived products.
Yeah, I been hearing that there have been a rash of bad batteries that are coming out of china.
But is there any that are still being manufactured here?
I very much doubt it.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

LPS.. I used it for years on my boat.. never a problem.. even sprayed down the entire motor and kept if from rusting up like other boats did..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!