Adhesive spray

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
psycho

Adhesive spray

Post by psycho »

I need to replace the touchscreen of my son's LG CU920. I watched a pair of videos on youtube and the guy referred to some 3m adhesive spray for putting the new module on the front bezel of the phone. Anyone done this before and if so, which particular spray did/do you use? I would prefer to get it locally (big box store or staples, etc).

He also showed some adhesive remover for cleanup of the spray. Any particular ones I should avoid (eats plastic?)?

Thanks,
Kevin
Dean Huster

Re: Adhesive spray

Post by Dean Huster »

Friend may have been referring to 3M Dry Mount adhesive for mounting photos to backer board without having to worry about chemicals that would affect the photos.

I've had a similar question about the transparency of the adhesive for use on glass to attach reading material that had to be read through the adhesive and he said that it dries transparent. As to the effect on plastics and clean up, I can't help you.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
jwax

Post by jwax »

3M does market "Super 77" Multipurpose spray adhesive", (and maybe others) but it contains acetone- a real no-no for most plastics.
WA2RBA
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Try the Home Depot or Lowe's for an extensive range of 3M spray adhesives. That's where I found
one for my car headliner. I seem to remember a number of them as being plastic safe.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
psycho

Post by psycho »

Well, I will have to do some tests. I was hoping someone had done this before and could tell me an exact product that works well and is safe to use.

Kevin
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

psycho wrote:Well, I will have to do some tests. I was hoping someone had done this before and could tell me an exact product that works well and is safe to use.
Kevin
You have to be very thoughtful about which type of adhesive spray to use. A couple of decades ago, the loudpeaker company MAGNEPLANAR was using 3M spray adhesive to bond their very thin aluminum "voice coil" windings to the thin plastic membrane that is the moving plane. Between 10 and 20 years later, the adhesive slightly corrodes the thin aluminum wire clean through, silencing first the "tweeter section" that used the thinnest wire.

These were the awsome MGII and mini-mags. They can be refurbished but first, all the old adhesive as to be removed.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

goo gone is a generally effective adhesive remover that is typically safe for most surfaces. It does leave an oily residue so followup with isopropyl alcohol is needed.

If this is just to stick the glass to the bezel, transparancy may not be a requirement. If you use spray adhesive, you will want to thouroughly mask the glass to prevent overspray. Many spray adhesives do have solvents and most solvents can damage plastic but they generally outgas quickly from spray products and probably would be OK here. the 77 is basically a spray form of common contact cement, I bet you could use that (common non spray contact cement) too if your neat about it.

You could probably also use a good double sided tape from an automotive store. At least for iPhone glass replacement kits, they have die cut adhesive strips for this purpose.
MorseDude

Post by MorseDude »

Yes good product. I use it some times with my electronics stuff. Spray both surfaces and let 'tack' dry then glue together. Don't worry about the solvents it contains, can be acetone, alcohol or whatever. The time it takes to 'tack' dry will evaporate these solvents. -MorseDude
...- .- ...-- .- ...- .-.