Where to get Transparent Paper ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
MrAl

Where to get Transparent Paper ?

Post by MrAl »

Hi there,

There is a way of making custom circuit boards at home using transparent paper that i want to try out.
Problem is, a pack of this kind of paper runs from 30 dollars to 40 dollars or even more, and i dont really
want to shell out that much just to try this just in case i dont like the way it works i'd be stuck with
30 bucks worth of worthless stuff to me. I checked at various places on the web already.

So, anyone know where to get maybe 1 to 5 sheets just to try this out?
It has to be specifically made for use with a mono Laser Printer, not ink jet.

Thank you very much for your ideas or suggestions.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
SETEC_Astronomy

Re: Where to get Transparent Paper ?

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

I can't help you find the transparency paper (maybe a teachers supply store) but I can say I've used magazine paper and it works great. I print a circuit design on to a page I've torn from a magazine, place the toner side of the print toward a freshly cleaned board and iron it. After about thirty seconds of ironing I let the board cool and rinse it under cold water to remove any stuck paper fiber (gently remove!). Etch and drill as normal. Works well and it's basically free when you use a page from a catalog.

Of course disregard the above if you meant the photo transfer method that involves transparencies, a light box and a photo-sensitive coating on the copper. The photo method offers the ability to do finer pitch boards but the iron transfer method works well for most projects.

Edit: Ok I did find some Sparco Laser Transparency - 50 Sheets $7.70
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi there,

Thanks for the link there. Yes, i need real transparent paper for photo transfer.
It cant be photo paper or anything else even translucent is not good enough,
it must be perfectly clear and usable on a mono laser printer.
That link says you have to buy 3 packs min unfortunately, but thanks anyway.
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

I checked that and you can order one but I didn't go far enough to find the $20 minimum, sorry.

Are you a Sams Club member? Transparency - $9.44
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi again,

Oh that's ok, no problem.
No i am not a Sam's Club member either, but that last link you posted doesnt seem to work anyway :smile:
psycho

Post by psycho »

I use the toner transfer method and it works mostly but not good enough for very small traces. I would love to try the transparency/light box method but, like you, the cost of startup is kinda prohibitive. Let me know how it works out for you!

Kevin
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi again,

SET:
Oh yes, thanks for the links. They are getting a little over 7 dollars plus another 7 shipping so it looks like the pack of 50 would cost me about 15 bucks, which is the cheapest yet.

Kevin:
Sure, no problem. I guess i can start a new thread and post some results.
It may be a while though as i just had to sink some money into my car for a new exhaust system and four new tires too just to get through inspection this month. That put a slight damper on trying the new method, but i intend to definitely try this next month some time.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I see them a little bit less on ebay. best was 12 for $11
jimmy101

Post by jimmy101 »

Another place to check would be at your local Fedex-Kinkos (or other print shop). They mostly use laser printers and they definitely have transparency material. (Regular inkjet transparencies melt in a laser printer.)

Heck, you can probably submit your artwork online and get a single copy or two on transparency material for a couple bucks.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

jimmy101 wrote:Heck, you can probably submit your artwork online and get a single copy or two on transparency material for a couple bucks.
I know that the local UPS store will print your emailed "document". Just make sure you know what
format they accept before you email them. Couldn't hurt to give them a call.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi again,

I might have to check that out if i can find a UPS store around here, or Kinkos.