switch users, how does it work??

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
new guy

switch users, how does it work??

Post by new guy »

My laptop runs windows XP. We have three accounts on the computer. If one person is logged on then no one else can log on and access the internet. (everone can be logged on but just cannot access the internet). A message says "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage". To access the internet everyone else must be logged off. Is this normal? If not how do I fix it?
haklesup

Re: switch users, how does it work??

Post by haklesup »

I'm having a hard time remembering where it is but it is on a Sharing tab of the Properties of something and the checkbox reads "allow other users to share my internet connection"

I'll post back if I can remember where the heck that checkbox is.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Hmm, Maybe that was a win98 solution.

I bet if you log out of the first user, you can use internet on the second user but not if you just switch users and otherwise have both users logged in. If so, it lends itself to the connection sharing settings being disabled.

Searching Help in XP keeps leading back to "run the Network Setup Wizard" or "run the internet connection wizard" so try that on your main user first to enable connection sharing and on the new user if connection has not already been restored.
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

haklesup wrote:I'm having a hard time remembering where it is but it is on a Sharing tab of the Properties of something and the checkbox reads "allow other users to share my internet connection"

I'll post back if I can remember where the heck that checkbox is.
That option is available in WinXP when you have file and printer sharing enabled. Not sure if it would fix the issue or not. It's worth a shot though, can't really hurt unless you're on a public network.

new guy it's been years since I've used Windows as my OS but I don't remember that being the default behavior. Is this a new development, you didn't notice until now or it finally annoyed you enough to ask about it? Is this a wired or wireless connection?
8Energy

Post by 8Energy »

Hmm, I'm a long time XP user and wonder how this problem actually comes about. Why dont the various user properly log out? Doesnt it actually log out automatically when switching users? Ok, after doing some googling I found this, I presume this is what youre doing?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279765

To possibly fix the issue, I found this:

1. Log on to the host computer as Administrator or as Owner.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click Network and Internet Connections.
4. Click Network Connections.
5. Right-click the connection that you use to connect to the Internet. For example, if you connect to the Internet by using a modem, right-click the connection that you want under Dial-up.
6. Click Properties.
7. Click the Advanced tab.
8. Under Internet Connection Sharing, select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.
9. If you are sharing a dial-up Internet connection, select the Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet check box if you want to permit your computer to automatically connect to the Internet.
10. Click OK. You receive the following message:
When Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, your LAN adapter will be set to use IP
address 192.168.0.1. Your computer may lose connectivity with other computers on
your network. If these other computers have static IP addresses, it is a good idea to set them
to obtain their IP addresses automatically. Are you sure you want to enable Internet
Connection Sharing?
11. Click Yes.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306126
"A Windows user spends 1/3 of his life sleeping, 1/3 working, 1/3 waiting."