Star Roamer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
captainkirksdog

Star Roamer

Post by captainkirksdog »

Hello,
Does anyone have copies of the old Popular Electronics Magazine issues beginning with the Sept. '96 article "Antique Radio; A New Restoration" by Marc Ellis? I believe this was the first installment of a 5-part series. The remaining issues were: Nov. '96, Mar. '97, Apr. '97, and May '97.

I appreciate any and all help. Thank you. <ckd>
CeaSaR

Re: Star Roamer

Post by CeaSaR »

Those are familiar, and I have them somewhere upsatirs. What do you need from them, just the article?

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
captainkirksdog

Yes and thank you. If you can scan and email them that would be great. Color isn't important, unless it's showing a color-code; you know what I mean! *sheepish grin* If you incur any costs, please let me know. Again, thanks. <ckd>
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

CKD = Butler...

lol!
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

ckd, as I remember, Marc got started with the Star Roamer and then put it one the shelf for a few months and came back to it. I also have those issues (I finally got all my old hobbyist magazines out where I can get at them, sorted by title, year and month. They'd only been in storage where I couldn't get at them for around 5 years. If CeaSaR doesn't have them, I do. 1996? Those are new ones compared to the earlier 30-40 years of them I have!
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
captainkirksdog

Hello Dean,
I don't know if you remember me, but, we "spoke" about this a couple of years ago on a different forum. Then I got sick and couldn't follow up on it. I would love to have whatever you've got about the Star Roamer and/or any other tips and info. Could you scan and email? Thanks for responding. <ckd>
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

OK, "ckd", I have all five mags, have scanned all five article segments and put them into .jpg format and included the front cover of each (in color, about 35KB each) and pages in B&W, anywhere from 168KB to 239KB each with the exception of the skem page which I did a higher resolution with 824KB. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them off to you. If you have any constraints on your receiving e-mail system let me know. In any case, I'll likely send it all as five e-mails, one for each issue to keep things split up a bit.

And yes, I did recall you on another forum (the moniker is special, isn't it?) but truthfully didn't remember the subject under discussion.

By the way, I'd remembered the Ellis Star Roamer article sequence, but didn't know why until I looked through the articles and saw that he'd printed a portion of a comment letter I'd written to him about the Star Roamer. So you get a little bit of a coincidental prize there in the May '97 issue!

I'll check out a few other things for you.

Dean
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Hey Dean,

Thanks for helping CKD out. I haven't had any time to go sort through my stuff yet. One day soon (I keep telling myself!).
I'm going to have to dig that out anyway now that you mention the connection to yourself. I want to see that.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

As I was scanning those mags, I was hoping I wasn't stepping on your toes, CeaSar. I found my original letter to Marc Ellis and scanned it for inclusion to ckd just for fun. I could always post it here if ya want to see it.

R.I.P.
captainkirksdog

Thank you very much, Dean. I have only one problem: How do I PM you? I've searched the board and I cannot find the button. I'm sure this makes me look like a dimwit, but I don't see it. So.......? <ckd>
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

CKD,

Look at the bottom of the post that Dean made. You will see 3 buttons available for him: Profile, PM and Email.
Others may have more or less depending on what they have made public in their profile. See below:
Just click on the button corresponding to what you want to do, in this case PM. It'll take you directly to your
PM page. When you receive a PM, a pop-up will inform you that one is waiting , plus you'll get an email (at the
address you used for signup) stating the same. There are other ways to access your PM page, but this will get
you there in this particular instance.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

And I don't know what the "email" tab is all about. I never saw anywhere in the profile set-up/edit where your email address could be listed.

R.I.P.
captainkirksdog

CeaSaR,
The buttons you mentioned are not visible on my page. Don't know why. Maybe it's because I'm new to this forum. Thanks for the help, regardless.

Dean,
I did find a way to send a PM by using the User Control Panel link. (Page Top Left) At least, I think I did. Hopefully, I'll find out soon. Thank you for your help, as well.

Later, fellas. <ckd>
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

CKD,

Hmm, that's interesting. You could contact Michale Kaudze (the board admin) about that if it bothers you. I can't find
anywhere to remedy the situation. Just a hunch, if you go into the User Control Panel and click Board Preferences tab,
what language do you have selected? If you have United States English selected, try changing it to British English.
See if the links show up then. I noticed a lot of things were different between the 2 English types on the board.

Yes, there are quite a few ways to get to the PM system. The one I mentioned before (if the settings are correct ;) ),
the way you found through the UCP, you can click on the button next to the UCP button (usually says 0 new messages),
and you can click the Members button at the top right of the page. I'm sure you found that you'll probably have to search
for the user name you want to PM, but it seems you are quite able in that respect.

Dean,

The setting for the email link showing in the post is in the UCP (User Control Panel). Click the button up top and go to
the Board Preferences tab. It is the first option under the Global Settings area.

Just remember to click Submit at the bottom for things to take effect.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
captainkirksdog

Dean,
It worked perfectly! Thank you very much for your help. The scans you did were first-rate. With this added info, I should be able to get my Roamer fixed & fired up! I'll let you know the results. <ckd>

CeaSaR,
Thanks for your input. You helped me get where I needed to go. <ckd>