No Ethernet or Network Connection

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
MrAl

Re: No Ethernet or Network Connection

Post by MrAl »

Hello again,

Well, we really probably shouldnt be concerned what another computer has, we only need to know
what your problem computer has.
To find out for sure, go into Device Manager and get the exact name or names of the devices
that are associated with Network Adapters.
It's important that we find the right driver or it will be a wasted effort.

BTW, to get something off of a USB drive usually all you do is go to Windows Explorer and click
on the drive letter and that gives you a listing. Then you can copy and paste the file
into a directory on your hard drive. Did you try this?

To recap, the above two questions are:
1. Did you try accessing the USB drive though Windows Explorer?
2. Look for the exact name of the adapter (or adapters) in Device Manager and type that here.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
JerryR

Post by JerryR »

I have a dell 2400 and it shows a "Broadcom 440" network adapter. where did you find the reference to Intel network adapter?
The broadcom network adapter is built into the MB(at least in my 2400), do you also have a seperate NIC card plugged in?
In any event, you should have 2 discs that came with your PC, An OS disc(Win XP) and what Dell calls a "ResourceCD". The ResourceCD disc has all the drivers that were installed on you system when it was built.
HTH
JerryR
yjryba<at>yahoo<dot>com
To contact me via Email
replace<####7>with proper symbols
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Hello Jerry,
Yes you are right, before I did the Restore I remember seeing "Broadcom 440". Thanks for the mind refresher. There is no additional NIC card, and I do have the disk for "Windows Professional Service Pack 2" and Restore, but not the Resource CD. That's the download I've been looking for in MS or Dell web sites. How can I get the Resource CD for this particular Computer?
Thanks Jerry for the info and MrAl if you come across anything to do with the Broadcom 440 let me know. Thanks guys we're getting closer to fixing this thing, I can feel it!
Thanks Again guys.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi again,

I found this driver download:
http://broadcom-440x-10-100-integrated- ... /download/

That looks like the one but of course i can not be completely sure until you try it.
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Hey MrAl,
Thanks, I'll get the download after I get out of work. What do you suggest, a smaller gig Flashdrive or just load it on a CD. From the time that I load it onto the CD where do I install it into the computer?
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Seems there's been a misunderstanding. Following the flash drive install instructions, when you say "it doesn't show the download",
I don't believe it needs to show it. You just need to select the right directory; the pc should do the rest. Or, there should be a
'show all files' option in that dialog box. Select it and the file will show up if it's there, guaranteed.
Use a 1G thumb drive (non-U3) for this task. The computer will install the file(s) where it needs to be all on its own.
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Okay sofaspud,
That explains it, I was using a U3 Cruzer 8 gig memory. Someone did say that I be better off using a smaller flashdrive.
Thanks Sofaspud.
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

'Twas I. That's exactly the thumb drive I was trying to get to work with my Win98SE. No go.
U3 is actually different hardware. I don't think it will ever work with Win98SE.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Rather than removing the NIC which you can't do go to whare you saw that yellow question mark (in the hardware system list) and right click then select remove. Now reboot and see if the hardware is detected. It should ask for the driver. manually removing the driver should have the same effect as removing the hardware and rebooting.

Hopefully the driver files and INF file are still in the system and it will restore the NIC without you having to locate a driver.

Worse comes to worse, get a USB to Wireless network dongle and use that. Just check OS compatibility before you buy (unless you can return it easily). I've not seen a USB to wired adapter but they may exist.
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Okay Guys,
I have downloaded this driver:
http://broadcom-440x-10-100-integrated- ... /download/
When I click on the download a window came up and I clicked on "Save File", it downloaded to my Laptop "Administrators Documents". Then I copied it to my 1 gig flashdrive.
Now I am trying to put it into the computer that needs the driver and I cannot get it to download.
Can someone please explain step by step how to get this driver download into this computer. I tried everything I can think of and it seems the driver won't show up in the flashdrive to transfer it.
I hope I am explaining this all right, I can't wait to get this comput finished.
Thanks for all your help guys.
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Explain it step by step? No, I'm not at my Win98 pc so I probably can't.
1) First thing to do is make sure the file is in the root directory of the flash drive. So plug it into the Win98 computer
and use Windows Explorer to make sure it's there. If it's not in the root directory, move it there.
2) Now go to the Device Manager. Find that Ethernet with the ? mark and right click on it.
3Ai) If the menu that appears includes "Update driver" left click on it.
3Aii) Then select the manual option. It'll say Browse, Manual, Have Disk, or some such. That's what you want.
3Aiii) Then go to the flash drive drive letter and select it. Click OK.
3Bi) If it doesn't include "Update driver", left click on Properties.
3Bii) Left click the Driver tab
3Biii) Click the Update Driver button and continue from 3Aii) above.
If the computer reports "driver not found", it's the wrong driver.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

sobeit,

Do you have only 1 file or multiple files on the USB (that you downloaded from Dell)? For example, the file
that MrAl linked to is a .EXE file. If this is what you have found, you can probably run it off of the USB itself
and it will install the correct files on the hard drive. You could also copy it to your hard drive and run it from
there as well. If you have multiple files with some that are .INI files, then you should be able to use sofaspud's
method of install/update. Tell us what you have and we can further assist you.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Hi There Ceasar,
Thanks for all of you guys helping me with this I really do appreciate it and would like to solve this.
To answer your question Ceasar, I have multiple files on my 1 gig Nextel Flasdrive but only one file of the link MrAl sent me. When I plug in the flashdrive it's in a G:/ drive. I'll open the G:/ and I'll see all the files in the drive, but when I go into Device Manager/Hardware/?Ethernet/Update driver, then do the manual driver setting like sofaspud has mentioned, I would find the G:/drive open it and I would only see my other files in that drive and not the Broadcom file. This really has me puzzled. I'll find it on the flashdrive before the update but won't see it when I want to load into the HD. The rest of what everybody has suggested has been working until I get to transferring the Broadcom driver. I kinda know what I'm doing, I just haven't experience this type of difficulty. I know this can be done, and I don't give up. so Please guys hang in there with me and we'll get this settled, (I hope). LOL. More input and I'll do what I can on my end.
Thanks Guys.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi again,

The file you download is an .exe file. This means you may have to run the file (double click on it)
to get it to extract or to install right from the .exe file itself.

So try running it, then go from there. If it extracts files, remember where it extracted to and then
point the software to install from there, unless of course it installs itself.
JerryR

Post by JerryR »

If you don't have the resourceCD
Go to the DELL site look for support or driver downloads (you probably will have to enter your TAG #(It's on the side of the case??) Select your OS and Driver category(Network). based on the tag # you will see what is available for your PC. Just download the network driver(R64645.exe)to your flash drive(Not to the desktop). There are instructions on the site on how to download and install the driver, print/write them down.
move the flash drive with the downloaded driver to the PC that needs the driver, follow the install instructions to extract and install the driver.
HTH
JerryR
yjryba<at>yahoo<dot>com
To contact me via Email
replace<####7>with proper symbols