Media Player 12

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Lenp

Media Player 12

Post by Lenp »

Ok, here's apip of a new Microslush issue
Windows Media Player 12 is now an embedded part of Windows 7, n ot a stand alone application
I have a laptop that has crashed the WMP 12 and not play some files it previously worked with.
Removing it with 'Windows Accessories' then adding it back solves nothing.
I tried to open a WMV file and the pop up says thet the Windoes Media Pl;ayer is incorrectly installed and offers to download the file for reinstallation. Microsoft has such file since it is embedded in Win 7 and the link has no file. There are 2 files for WMP12 and neither will install with a message that it doesn not apply. I also tried to e slick and install WMP 11. NO go, It says a later version is installed and would not install. I changed the file associations to Real Player and still WMP is barging in and Real Player also will not play some files, like streaming radio.

Any Ideas Guys?

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
sofaspud

Re: Media Player 12

Post by sofaspud »

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 with current updates. I have WMP 12 but it is 32-bit and is most definitely a stand-alone app.
I'm also confused about "Removing it with 'Windows Accessories'." Did you mean Control Panel/Programs and Features?
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

scratch

bots & spiders??
They seem to really hog the forum server... :mad:
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

SofaSpud
Yes, Control Panel - Programs/Features is the only place I can find to add or remove WMP12. I even deleted the WMP folders and reactivated it with no change. Several spy hunters say the system is clean? When I open a WMV file, as previously said, a pop up message, without error codes says WMP is not properly installed, with a click box to install it from Microsoft. In essence, Here's the message from Microsoft after the click box....
====================================================================================================
Windows Media Player Download

There is no download available for this operating system. Please visit Windows Update to check for the latest Windows Media Player updates.
====================================================================================================
I did find an installer for the K and KN versions of Win 7 which have various applications deleted due to European legal decisions, but, it will not work on the US releases. If it is indeed a stand alone, why are all the posts about it sayong it is embedded into Win7?
I have not found a download anywhere for WMP12 that acts like a standalone program. If you have a link I sure would appreciate it! I really don't want to start all over with this machine and reinstall the system.
Len
Len

sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Yes, the Microsoft site looks real slim when it comes to WMP12.
And there could be some confusion of definitions of "embedded" and "standalone". I have wmplayer.exe dated 8/29/09 in the
Program Files (x86)/Windows Media Player folder. That leads me to believe it's standalone.
Have you tried that Windows Update route?
If it's been uninstalled, I can only guess that all that "OS validation" stuff is what causes it to still show installed.
Bottom line is I don't have a link. I'd suggest going to Microsoft Answers and (politely) demanding some.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Here's an update onthe WMP12 issue.
If I create an new user account, WMP12 play as expected.
It seems that in ORGANIZE/OPTIONS/NETWORK tab on WMP12 there are no 'streaming proxy' settings in the account that doesn't work but they are in the account that works. There is no way in WMP12 to change this.

In the registry HKEY_CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\ProxySettings\HTML the proxy settings are in the working user account but not in the damaged one.

All attempts to copy / import the settings do not fix the problem. So is the problem really in WMP or could in the Internet Settings for this account. I doubt it's the browser since Firefox doesn't work either. Is there a easy way to migtrate setings fromone user to create another?

Clues anyone?

Len
Len

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Since new users are able to use WM12, it is a problem with that particular account. One way
to remedy this is to delete the affected account and then re-create it. Of course you would
save all user created files to another folder, like "Shared\F'd up account" or something like that,
and write down passwords etc. before deleting it. If it is an ADMIN account, you must make sure
you have another ADMIN account before deleting also.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?