Barking dog deterrent

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jimandy

Re: Barking dog deterrent

Post by jimandy »

Bottom line, that dog has a right to bark during daytime hours with some exceptions
I must disagree. Although there may not be a specific ordinance against barking dogs, there are usually "nuisance" ordinances which might apply. If a dog barks only during the day one could argue that the neighbors are usually away at work, etc., but not so in the case of a retirement community or where there are work-at-home folks, like me.
"if it's not another it's one thing."
Externet

Post by Externet »

My rights to not hear a dog barking are more important than the dog rights, with no exceptions, and at all times.

:evil: What is this ??? Dog owners are automatically deaf ??? :evil:
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

I'd rephrase it and say a dog has a right to bark if it has a reason to. If it doesn't have a reason to, it shouldn't be barking.

If the dog only behaves this way when the owner is away, then she is unaware of the problem. Calmly approaching her and
informing her of the problem would be a reasonable course of action. Hopefully the owner would be concerned and considerate,
of both the neighbors and the dog. I believe this is a canine form of separation anxiety which can be cured.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

In our community there is an ordinance that a dog may not bark for more than 5 minutes in any given half hour. But it is rarely enforced. The officer has to sit in his cruiser and listen and time the dog. Of course the dog will never bark at those times. I have a neighbor who has 4 dogs tied up about 60 meters from my home. One 'woofer' that just sits and looks for anything moving to bark his fool head off incessantly. three 'yappers' that just stare at the house and bark non-stop to be let back in the house. This can go on for hours. The neighbor has been approached several times about the problem and says will take care of it. lasts about a week and then starts all over again. So you think I don't have reason for action - well then guess again. There are one or two dogs that will approach me on my evening walks that are quiet and just come up for a pet on the head, then join me in my walk for a while.Those are the kind of dogs I grew up with and loved. Too bad 90 % of these mutts today are of a totally different nature. What in the h*ll happened in the last 30 years?
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Too bad 90 % of these mutts today are of a totally different nature. What in the h*ll happened in the last 30 years?
Easy question to answer. Actually I don't think the nature of dogs has changed in the past 50 years or more for that matter. I think it is more a matter of people changing. There was a time when people actually assumed responsibility for their actions. That included taking responsibility for their dogs (and other assorted pets). Now as I see it somewhere during the past 30 plus years many people have quit taking responsibility for their pets (as well as countless other things).

How many times do we hear about pets left out in the cold? Pets found freezing and starving? Just because people fail to assume responsibility for their pet ownership.

We have two dogs and this weekend we have three dogs as my daughter is visiting with "Brutus" a 100 + pound clumsy German Shepherd. The dogs have been enjoying playing in the yard for short periods but no barking. My dogs are for our enjoyment and that is important to me. However, more important is the peace, quiet and domestic tranquility of my neighbors. They don't bark constantly and they are not left outside for extended periods of time. Part of pet ownership is a responsibility to my neighbors.

Ron
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Yea, I agree with that Ron. When I was growing up, dogs were rarely tied up and roamed freely. There was always one dog or another tagging along with "our Gang" and just hanging out even during swim sessions on the Lake Erie beaches. My dog 'Pudge' may well have been the best friend I had in my early years. So many times heading out to the woodlands with a pack on my back for an overnight stay, my Marlin .22 bolt action in one hand and my dog trotting along beside me - never felt more secure even deep in the woods on a moonless night. In those days I would venture a guess that one family out of five had a dog and free roaming presented no problem. Rarely did one hear a barking dog. Today its almost faddish to have a big dog and they are everywhere. This does make it mandatory that they be tied up in the yard though. I think this contributes to their frustration and territorial protectiveness even when somebody is within 200' of them. Some of the most aggressive and growling dogs that occasionally break their ropes and start roaming the neighborhood are as timid and quiet as pussycats once off their property. In fact they become rather friendly on some one else's turf - just like it used to be.
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Some dogs are just born psychotic (like some people). I have approached and petted numbers of Golden Retriever that never barked, snarled or bared their fangs. Yet my neighbor at our previous house got one as a puppy. They already had a very friendly black lab, but this Golden grew up angry and menacing. She would threaten anyone walking by on the street by rushing unexpectedly from a hiding place in a bush. Thank heavens they had an invisible fence.
Ironically the dog’s name was “Angel”.
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

A couple of weeks ago, I stopped for tacos at a street vendor. I parked down the block and was enjoying my meal when
a "junkyard dog" from a warehouse company across the road came over and sat down by my car door. This was a brindle
pitbull male that looked twice as wide at the shoulders than at the hips. He just sat politely so I shared my food, then got
out and fed him some jerky I found in the glovebox. I petted him a little, told him there was no more, and got back in the
car. He sauntered back over to his post inside the fence, as a passerby gestured toward him with a muscular pose and
asked me if he was my dog. "No," I said. "I guess he just likes carne guisada."
This dog has the look; he doesn't really need the attitude.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Like I mentioned, I wouldn't trade our dogs for anything but at the same time I figure I have a responsibility to my neighbors. Fortunately ours don't bark much at all and we do have a fully fenced (6' privacy fence) yard for them to enjoy. Personally I have no use for people who allow a dog to continuously bark or disturb the peace of others. Really enjoying this weekend with the added dog to make things interesting. Loved the story of the junk yard dog. :)

Ron
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Tweeter that has a range beyond 20kHz. A 555 timer producing square wave with a 9V output.

This will not fix the problem but it will annoy the dog. I "may" have done this some years ago.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

jollyrgr wrote:Tweeter that has a range beyond 20kHz. A 555 timer producing square wave with a 9V output.

This will not fix the problem but it will annoy the dog. I "may" have done this some years ago.
That will work - unfortunately with that low level of power, you will probably be limited to about 20 feet.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

:idea: Why not ramp up the power to the tweeter, use a tuned pipe and fire it at the dogs when the owners are home, giving them a dose of the same annoyance you get? They might catch on, or get complaints from more neighbors :grin:
Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Would like to annoy the dog's owner but he (the dog) only barks when they are gone. He knows if he keeps barking they will return and they keep him inside when they are home.