Advice and Information

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ConieL

Advice and Information

Post by ConieL »

I am trying to enter into a state funded A.S. degree in Electronic Engineering Technology.
Being that the program will be state funded for me because I am a dislocated worker I am required to answer a series of questions. One of the questions I am being asked is:<p>Name 2 people who you have talked to that work in the field and what advice or information did they give you?<p>My problem is that I do not know anyone who works in the field.
If someone who works in the field can give me some sort of advice or information this would really help me out.<p>Please Help!<p>Conie
karl.hoffmann

Re: Advice and Information

Post by karl.hoffmann »

The 'Field' you are talking about, can be any job description that involves electronic components.
I graduated from Miami-Dade Jr Col. in 1964.
I have worked on aircraft navigation instruments, high speed modems,
fuel management system, electronic typewriters, and much more.
The type of components and tasks required of me has grown.
Even working on PC boards, and learning assembly language to program them.
I started small and have always depended on the fundementals of my education, I=E/R, or what a FET looks like on a schematic.
Presently I must be able to read and understand plumbing, electrical, construction,
electronic drawings as well as interfacing with various levels of persons trying to complete
their own task for the completion of the greater job of giving the client "his monies worth"
viveguy

Post by viveguy »

I went back to school at the age of 34.I was the honor graduate with a 4.0.During that time I won a state level skills competition in product service,obtained my amatuer radio license and,got my ISCET certified electronics technician certificate.
During my education all I kept hearing from my much younger classmates was "He don't teach me nuthin'" or "How did you do so well on that test?".Well I am no genius but I was not going to let anyone or anything stand in the way of my education.
I found that in a secondary educational experience,the instructors are not going to go out of their way for anyone who is not serious.If you are just going to coast through,you are on your own.
Be self reliant and pro-active.I read application notes and hobbied in electronics.I still do even though it is my everyday work.
Electronics nowadays has at least as many specialities as medicine.I am an engineering tech at and avionics company.The department I work in is dedicated to analog circuits with an emphasis in switching power supply design.In my spare time I work at a concert sound company doing repair and occasionally mixing shows.I also mix sound for a local band when they work.
I don't mean all of this to come off as boasting.But when I entered school My wife and I were both unemployed,we had 1 toddler and one on the way and we were getting groceries from a local food bank.Within three years of graduation I had a house and 2 new cars and I made more money than my father in law.
You will get out of the experience what you put in.There is a lot of opportunity for techs who can troubleshoot and have a broad knowledge.Most places don't expect you to know everything but, they do like someone who can figure out things based on the working knowledge they have.
Thanks for letting me rant and good luck.<p>Al Sekeet
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I have a good Article I could scan for you, on getting into the field.
ConieL

Post by ConieL »

I would like to thank everyone that replied to my post. I found everything valuable and helpful.<p>Thanks again,
Conie