Power Supply

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
camino75080

Power Supply

Post by camino75080 »

Hi all, first time here so thanks for any help. I know some about power supplies but not to the level I need now here's my problem; I need a power that is solid state (if possible) and can source 45 volts with adjustible current for 10 to 120 amps for a TIG welder, now heres the hard part, this will sound stupid, it needs to run off 120 VAC, it can be done but I don't know how. I know this is a very tall order so any ideas would be great.
camino75080

Re: Power Supply

Post by camino75080 »

Sorry i made a mistake, I need adjustible current from 5-95 amps.
toejam

Post by toejam »

You are not looking for a power supply, you are almost looking for a miracle.
If you must run this thing on 110 volts, the simplest thing to do is buy a tig welder and a 100 amp 110 to 220 control transformer and be done with it. Make sure your incoming service can handle that currant. An engine powered tig welder might work in your situation also.
To try designing a power supply with those specs would cost way more than the cost of the fore mentioned parts.
Good luck
tj
camino75080

Post by camino75080 »

Okay, thanks for the reply, I thought thats is what people would say, I just wanted to know if it was resonable(guess not). How about this idea, I've seen people make tip PSUs from old externaly regulated Ford alternators, by varying the field current supllied, they could vary the output current. That being said is it possile to control the output current of an internaly regulated GM sytle alternator as they are much easier to find?
perfectbite

Post by perfectbite »

camino75080, If you aren't averse to spending some money there is, on the market, an imported (Italian I think)110VAC, 5 to 90 Amp solid state machine that comes with a TIG torch. (The gas and regulator are up to you.)<p>I highly recommend this machine (an all position, straight or reverse polarity 1/16" rod worked really well, on a vertical weld. A good stable arc, lots of penetration, and good Amperage control. There was a distinct difference between the 83 and 85 Amp settings) however I was told, when I bought it, that it won't do aluminium TIG but I'm investigating that. It does have a bench Hertz of 49.36K. I don't know if that qualifies as hi-freq. I don't have a Thorium free Tungsten rod to try it out.<p>The machine's name is Tecverter, model I 90 ST and I got the set up I have from 'Kraze Arc' on the net about 2 1/2 years ago. You might want to sub the #10 shade it comes with with a #12 shade if you have one handy.
toejam

Post by toejam »

I you could remove the regulator from a gm. alternator and design a voltage regulator for it. But they are rated for about 1.5 kw. max. 45v@ 90 amps=^ 4.5 kw. smoke time! If you look around some surplus websites you may find a surplus high capacity alternator for a reasonable price.
Externet

Post by Externet »

- Abolish the deciBel ! -
camino75080

Post by camino75080 »

Thank you all for the help, that is just what I needed.