New to electornics

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Sambuchi

Re: New to electornics

Post by Sambuchi »

Well Sparkfun just had a "SparkFun Free Day" :D Each customer could get $100.00 worth of free swag! :D

That looks like a great first step! What compiler do you have to use to write the code? The lego mindstorm could be considered a kid toy but I remember seeing some computer science majors using them in their labs. I think you will be happy with your decision. Thou I really like PIC's form microchip... you will find the have processors that can handle any application and their compiler is free with no limitations.
SuperMiguel

Post by SuperMiguel »

C is the default code if im not mistaking for the arduino boards
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

Errr.... C is the language you write in. The compiler takes the C code and creates a file used to be downloaded to the micro.

I did some poking around and that site you looked at was some guys site to show you how to use an Arduino

(never used one)

but it looks like the processor on the Arduino board is a ATMEL. A good chip to start with... (my fav was PIC)

Sooo.. your compiler I believe can be downloaded here but it may come on a CD with the board.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Looks like an open source compiler... these give me the willies. ATMEL also uses AVR studios. May want to look at them.
SuperMiguel

Post by SuperMiguel »

quote "these give me the willies"

why? hehe
SuperMiguel

Post by SuperMiguel »

i mean both use C right? whats the difference between the open source one arduino made and avr?
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

whoa there! No worries. You will be fine with what what you want to do im sure.

Open source can be great because (its free and works) or (it doesn't work and I cant get any support)

This will be a learning process for you... I'm just letting you know you have other options if this compiler crashes your computer. :lol:
SuperMiguel

Post by SuperMiguel »

lol :) is there a better compiler for it that will run in a mac osx?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

LOL, An engineer using a Mac :???: (I'm sure I'll get flack for that)