How hackable is this Slice machine ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

How hackable is this Slice machine ?

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Could leave sticky/tacky paper/film on copper clad boards to mask it from the etching solution, could it ?
Has a memory card slot waiting for a hacker programmer to load a circuit layout in it.

https://www.buymyslice.com/content/?page=24

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
gerty

Re: How hackable is this Slice machine ?

Post by gerty »

I wonder what type of cutting tool it uses?
kheston

Post by kheston »

A close friend has a similar device she uses for scrapbooking. I has a small Exacta-like blade that does the cutting. Can you cut traces with an Exacta knife?
Kurt - SF Bay
jwax

Post by jwax »

You'd have to check to see what the smallest resolution is of the cutter.
Then, probably be easiest to contact the manufacturer directly to allow a user to input board layout graphics.
WA2RBA
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Well, they don't mention any software or drawing file formats so its doubtful they have a supported way of making your own patterns. Even if you can figure out the file format and make your own, you'll have to be aware of min limitations of feature size and turn radius. They either assumed scrap bookers wouldn't be technically savvy enough to make their own patterns or they didn't have the resources to design a graphics program with all the design rules built in.

I wouldn't expect the graphics to be in a raster format (BMP, JPG, TIFF etc.) either. It would have to be in a vector format like a plotter output file (HPGL, Gerber) which explains how they can easily scale the included patterns.

I doubt this would be a very flexible way to make PCBs. If you can make stencils for PCB FAB, they would have rather large feature sizes compared to what's possible. Cool gadget though, I never saw this before.

:idea: Excellent tool for ritual scarification cerimonies too :evil: