WINDOWS VISTA CONVERTION TO LINUX

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
USMC_AJUDEA

WINDOWS VISTA CONVERTION TO LINUX

Post by USMC_AJUDEA »

I WOULD LIKE TO CONVERT MY VISTA TO LINUX, WHAT WOULD BE THE PROS AND CONS BY ME DOING THIS?
ALSO HOW WOULD I DO THIS PROPERLY WITHOUT ME MESSING ANYTHING UP. WILL I NEED ANY NEW SOFTWARES AND HARDWARES? WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO BROWSE THE INTERNET THE WAY I DID WITH WINDOWS?
DO I NEED TO PARTITION MY HD IN THE PROCESS? THANKS ALOT, THIS FORUM IS REALLY HELPFUL.
VernGraner

Re: WINDOWS VISTA CONVERTION TO LINUX

Post by VernGraner »

USMC_AJUDEA wrote:I WOULD LIKE TO CONVERT MY VISTA TO LINUX, WHAT WOULD BE THE PROS AND CONS BY ME DOING THIS?
ALSO HOW WOULD I DO THIS PROPERLY WITHOUT ME MESSING ANYTHING UP. WILL I NEED ANY NEW SOFTWARES AND HARDWARES? WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO BROWSE THE INTERNET THE WAY I DID WITH WINDOWS?
DO I NEED TO PARTITION MY HD IN THE PROCESS? THANKS ALOT, THIS FORUM IS REALLY HELPFUL.
Hello again! :) I'd like to direct your attention once again to this web site:

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=WP_GeneralNetiquette

In particular, pay close attention to this excerpt:
Netiquette wrote: 8. Do not SHOUT

Excessive use of capitalization and exclamation points (any more than one) is considered shouting and shows that you are unable to adequately express yourself through the use of normal language. Small amounts of capitalization, when used to emphasize a particular point, is considered acceptable — although please note that the forum offers other ways to add emphasis, such as through the use of bold and italics in your posts.
Also, it is considered good form to do a search on such providers as google or other search engine, read the various opinions on a subject then, if you would like some advice on the choices you have found, bring the results of your search to the group and ask for input. for example, a simple search such as this one:

Google: converting from windows to linux

I hope you take these responses in the spirit they are intended. I am truly trying to be helpful in more ways than one. :smile:

Vern
--
Vern Graner
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi.
You do not convert Vista to Linux. You choose one or the other.

Replace your hard drive and install Linux in the new one. Then you use the hard drive with the operative system you want until you learn more on how to play with partitions to use a single drive with both, or quit one.
And expect a LOT of terminology you will have zero clue about, zero.

Yes, am writing this and browsing the net with Linux.
- We do not need your upper case text.
- There is a chapter for computers in these forums, it is a better place for your future questions about operative systems.

A VERY suggested reading :
===> http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Miguel :smile:
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi there,

I also would think this topic would be better under the Computers topic header, but i'll
offer a quick reply anyway...

For several years i have tried downloading and running Linux and have had no success,
until finally i found a version they call "Knoppix". This is a free version and you can
install to a USB thumb drive or to a CD and boot up with the CD or USB drive, so you
dont have to modify your hard drive at all. This allows you to try the system out
so you can decide if you like it or not. You can also install to a hard drive if you like
it, but i never tried this so i cant say how that works. I can say that the CD and USB
drive install works pretty well. The USB has to be at least 1GB however or you wont
have room to store your settings and gee the op sys itself takes up a little more than
700MB anyway.

The thing with Linux however is that some versions work with your hardware and some
dont, and if something doesnt work with your hardware i think you have to go to a
Linux help site to get in touch with people who have hands on experience with the
system so they might help you with the problem hardware.

If you are "upgrading" to Linux (little pun intended there he he) you will however
notice that there is a bit less functionality, but most of the important stuff is there
like the ability to browse the web and manage files and stuff like that, but i am not
sure how well things like DVD burning works in the various systems, so you'll have
to check that out i guess. I am not an expert on Linux so i can only tell you what
i have found out over the past 5 years or so with Linux, and i've only had a system
up and running now for about two or three months. The last version i tried before
that was several years ago and although it did work to some degree, it was harder
to set up and could not store my system settings and also did not work very
well with my graphics card at the time, so i basically abandoned it altogether.

Good luck with it...
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
USMC_AJUDEA

Post by USMC_AJUDEA »

i really appreciate the replies, i also apologize for the caps, i forget sometimes after i log in, and i will post all my questions to the proper site. again, thanks.