Coffee Pot Thermostat

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jwax

Coffee Pot Thermostat

Post by jwax »

Anybody have a source for coffee pot thermostats? This is a L292-25F, but I'm not that fussy about exact values. Actually have two pots that quit within a week, so I'm looking for 2, and a few spares.
WA2RBA
CeaSaR

Re: Coffee Pot Thermostat

Post by CeaSaR »

Something like this MCM part? This particular one is out of stock at the moment, but they should have others.

Mouser has 6 pages under the search "thermostat".

Jameco, nada.

Diigkey has several hundred types to choose from, but I find them hard to navigate.

Of course you could always try Radio Shack. :roll:

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

HI,

Dont you have to get the right part here? Doesnt it have to be the right
temperature? I'd be very careful with this. I'd also make sure it had a
thermal cutout fuse installed too (i think they all do though).
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I forgot about the thermal fuse. Check that before you get a thermostat. I had a couple of coffee pots
go like that and it was the fuse. Usually happens when you try to heat up a pot of already brewed cold java.
You'll have to search under some sort of heat resistant cover on the boiler coil, probably near the thermostat.
My last batch came from Radio Shack, but that was probably over 5 years ago or more.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
jwax

Post by jwax »

Fuses OK, the thermostat(s) are open. Still no joy in locating any. :sad:

EDIT: Mouser gets the order! :mrgreen:
Thanks all!
WA2RBA
whalensdad

Post by whalensdad »

I was looking all over the internet to find a replacement switch, when I found this thread. The one question I need to know is "What is the normal cutoff temp for an electric percolator?" I'm replacing the switch in a Melita unit. Since the model is discontinued, the company is of no help. I went to Mouser and there is a slew of thermostats. I just need to get the right one.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Hi whelansdad, and welcome to the forum!
The switch point of the thermostat used depends on how it is coupled to the heater. I repaired a Mr. Coffee, and a Black and Decker, but one had a 292 F thermostat, and the other a centigrade part number around 155. Look closely at the bad thermostat. It should have a part number with the temperature as part of it.
Also, look at the circuit. Both mine were normally closed, and opened (cut power to the heater) at the setpoint. Honestly, I doubt if there is much difference in safety, or coffee quality by being within 10 or 20 degrees of what the manufacturer used.
They're $4-5 apiece, try a few!
Happy brewing!
John
WA2RBA
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

Just to note 155 degrees C is 311 degrees F, so that makes one 292 deg F and the other 311 deg F.
I would think they are going around 300 deg F so perhaps you can start with a 290 deg F unit
and see if that works. If it starts to melt, that's not good :smile:

I repaired a few of these quite a while back but dont remember much about the ratings.
They usually pop the thermal fuse and that is almost always marked.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
whalensdad

Post by whalensdad »

I just had an opportunity to take my unit apart, but didn't find any temp rating on the sensor. There were a bunch of numbers though. But as I was looking at it, some questions came to mind. You mentioned a sensor around 300 degrees F, but how is that possible. Water boils at 212 degrees. The temperature of the water in the coffee pot only gets up to about 190 degrees. Why would I want a sensor that trips at around 300?
jwax

Post by jwax »

Astute observation whelansdad!
It's the location of the thermostat that explains why. It is usually mounted nearly in contact with the heater element, which indeed goes to 300 F and more if not shutoff.
I'd be tempted to drop in a 300 F thermostat and like MrAl said, fire it up and check for melt/smoke/fire.
I'm guessing it will work fine! :grin:
WA2RBA
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

just seen today that radio shack carries 4 different versions ( temps ) maybe one works for you..
whalensdad

Post by whalensdad »

I looked at mouser's web site and I didn't see any low cost sensors at the 300 degree mark. I found the 3LO1-300, but it looks like it is for a different application. There was one from Honeywell,but it was nearly $35. Is there one that I missed or is there another place I should be looking? Radio shack had Thermal fuses, which was not what I was looking for.
jwax

Post by jwax »

This one is normally closed (supplying power to the heater), but opens at 315 F to 335 F:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sta ... buYw%3d%3d
This one opens at 224 F to 256 F:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sta ... 52bw%3d%3d
WA2RBA
cindyjolly

Post by cindyjolly »

Dear CeaSaR,

You are right. jwax, you must be careful before applying any thermostat. Because this breaking problem occurs often. I would suggest you to go for good brands even if buying online.

Post by cindyjolly »

I think my idea is good for giving a try to thermostat. If you are going to buy please keep in mind my earlier speak. Only good brands. Good Luck !!