memory cause crash?

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

memory cause crash?

Post by frhrwa »

I just bought 2ea 1Gb memory sticks from crucial for an HP/Compaq Presario 3000, since installing the laptop crashes.. blue screen, restart, critical error? my old memory was 333, not sure what this new memory is, but its what crucial recommended? can the memory cause the blue screen critical error problem? CT463907 I believe that's the crucial part number for the memory they sent..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
psycho

Re: memory cause crash?

Post by psycho »

Memory problems can definitely cause system crashes. The first thing I would do is try re-seating the RAM several times.

Kevin
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

Yeah, that's a good idea.

Another idea, after that just in case that doesnt work, is to use ONE pack by itself.
Test with only ONE pack rather than two at once, and see how the system works for
several hours or so. Then later, remove that pack and insert the second pack all
by itself too without the previous pack installed, then test for several hours again.
If both of these tests show that the memory fails, then do the same test with the old
memory. That would tell you if the two packs are bad or just one pack is bad, if any.
Of course if only one pack fails then that is the defective one.

When you replace memory in your system however you really really need to know the
speed of the memory before you buy it. You need to use the right speed or the
system will certainly crash. Some memory is made faster than others, so you need
at least a speed that is as fast as the old one was.
When you get a motherboard the manual usually tells you what speed range of memory
will work in that board. You MUST get that speed or one of the speeds that the
motherboard manufacturer says that will work in that board, and maybe check the
test list to see what memory brands they have tested already in that board.

You cant just go out and buy a random memory pack and expect it to work because
there are so many speeds of memory out there. If you get lucky it will work, but
the chances are slim that it will be the right speed if it was purchased randomly.

If you have the motherboard manual or can find it online you can check for what
memory works in your board. You can also check the part number of the memory
packs and compare. If you cant find this maybe you can tell us the make and
model number of your motherboard and the part number and make of the memory
packs you had purchased and maybe someone here can find the info online.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Don't hurt your brain trying to figure out why. If you can still return the modules just bring them back and try another brand or another pair. If it still gives you the BSOD (blue screen of death) then start the in depth investigation. MrAl suggestion of trying them one at a time is reasonable and worth a shot before you go back to the store (could save you that trip)

In depth starts with a good RAM test program. The kind that runs from a bootable disk in a DOS mode and just tests many patterns in the RAM modules. (You might want to find that before you go back to the store as well).

If the RAM test dosen't show any obvious probelms its time to analyze the BSOD data and see if a particualr driver or hardware DLL is whats crashing. From that a clue about what settings might need to be changed might appear.

You can also alter the memory settings in BIOS. If they are set to a value, try setting it to Auto and let the hardware select the optimal settings. Turn off the Quick boot up and it will run a more thorough memory check at bootup.

Finally google your motherboard or laptop model number along with keywords like memory, RAM, DIMM and see if others are having similar problems. Maybe a solution has already been discovered.

Worse case, many stores will install and test the memory for you for a small fee. They will be able to try other modules easier than you if it is tempermental.

BTW, When do you get this critical error? during POST, during the OS boot or after the OS boots. If during the OS boot, press F8 and try booting with the log file. you may be able to look at that later and see what was loading when it crapped out. If its during POST, then thats a sure sign the memory you got is incompatible or really failed. If it crashes after the OS has run for a while, it could be the memory controller driver, the MB hardware or just a marginal speed conflict. Lets hope its not the memory controller or another MB component because thats the end of the road for that upgrade if it is.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Hi Ya

You may want to check the Maximum Memory that system supports. Just at a glance I believe it only supports 1 GB total (2 X 512 MB). I may be wrong on that call. You could also try just a single 1 GB stick one at a time.

Also, per haklesup's suggestion this is a link to MemTest86 which you download as an ISO file and create a bootable CD.

Ron
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

reloadron wrote:Hi Ya

You may want to check the Maximum Memory that system supports. Just at a glance I believe it only supports 1 GB total (2 X 512 MB). I may be wrong on that call. You could also try just a single 1 GB stick one at a time.

Also, per haklesup's suggestion this is a link to MemTest86 which you download as an ISO file and create a bootable CD.

Ron
I agree with you on the maximum memory Ron.

I found this from Wikipedia:
Memory module technical details

* 256 MB: DDR PC2100, CAS latency = 2.5, unbuffered, non-ECC, 2.5 volts, 32Meg × 64
* 512 MB: DDR PC2100, CAS latency = 2.5, unbuffered, non-ECC, 2.5 volts, 64Meg × 64
Looks like 1 GB is the Maximum Memory that system supports.

frhrwa,
How much memory did you have before you tried upgrading the memory?
I'm betting it was 512 MB right?
Also...
What Operating System are you running?
Old Windows 98SE had a 768MB memory limitation.
Thus, if you had 1GB or more, old 98x couldn't handle the extra memory.
Thus, the Blue Screen Of Death.
Windows XP has this limitation as well, but it was at 3GB's.
Unless with Service Pack 3 they fixed that limitation.
But I rather doubt it, since Microsquish wants everyone too move to Vista or Windows 7.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

its an R3000 HP/Compaq Presario Laptop, says it will take a max of 2Gb.. I ran the program at Crucial to see what they recommended and bought their stiks.. took one out yesterday, ran all day with no crash, (the one under the keyboard).. took out the one left in and replaced with the one I had removed.. ran all last evening.. put both back in, no crashes yet? was running XP pro.. upgraded to win 7 home premium 32bit.. so, now no crashes as yet.. but also upgrading wiped my Realtek A97 audio driver out.. and HP says there is no driver for the win7 program.. Realtek has one, but it won't work either.. does anyone know if this is a chip soldered to the motherboard, or a replaceable unit on the motherboard that I can just get something else to plug in for audio? I almost trashed this laptop 5 years ago, it died 2 weeks after purchasing from Fry's.. they wouldn't do anything with it, HP refused to honor their warranty, took just shy of 5 years and a few threats to their BofD, Legal Dept, and lots of Internet advertisement to get them to finally "fix" the laptop.. for that period, it was totally dead.. wouldn't turn on or anything.. so.. getting it to work now is a plus.. but.. BSOD will shortlive itself..
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

frhrwa wrote:its an R3000 HP/Compaq Presario Laptop, says it will take a max of 2Gb.. I ran the program at Crucial to see what they recommended and bought their stiks.. took one out yesterday, ran all day with no crash, (the one under the keyboard).. took out the one left in and replaced with the one I had removed.. ran all last evening.. put both back in, no crashes yet? was running XP pro.. upgraded to win 7 home premium 32bit.. so, now no crashes as yet.. but also upgrading wiped my Realtek A97 audio driver out.. and HP says there is no driver for the win7 program.. Realtek has one, but it won't work either.. does anyone know if this is a chip soldered to the motherboard, or a replaceable unit on the motherboard that I can just get something else to plug in for audio? I almost trashed this laptop 5 years ago, it died 2 weeks after purchasing from Fry's.. they wouldn't do anything with it, HP refused to honor their warranty, took just shy of 5 years and a few threats to their BofD, Legal Dept, and lots of Internet advertisement to get them to finally "fix" the laptop.. for that period, it was totally dead.. wouldn't turn on or anything.. so.. getting it to work now is a plus.. but.. BSOD will shortlive itself..
Oh Yes, this laptop. :lol:
Being an early adopter of unproven software {Windows 7}.
Is like being a guinea pig for MicroSquish.

Also, being that this is an older laptop.
There was bound to be issues with the hardware not working with the latest Windows OS.

You can wait till HP/Compaq has the latest drivers for windows 7.
Or drop back to XP Pro.

frhrwa,
Are you running both new sticks of memory?
{1GB + 1GB = 2GB's}
Or are you running one new stick & one old stick?
{1GB + 512mB = 1.5GB's}
Sorry, but your not too clear on this point.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Interesting, that laptop was available using either an Intel or AMD processor in a few flavors. My initial reads showed a version that could run 1 GB maximum of DDR 333 but:
■ Mobile Intel Pentium 4 3.06-, 2.80-, 2.66-, and 2.40-GHz
processors, all with 512-KB L2 cache, varying by notebook
model
- or -
Intel Pentium 4 DT 3.20-, 3.06-, 2.80-, 2.66-, and 2.40-GHz
processors, all with 256-KB L2 cache, varying by notebook
model
- or -
AMD Athlon 64 1.8-, 2.0-, and 2.2-GHz processors, all with
1-MB L2 cache, varying by notebook model
- or -
AMD Athlon XP-M 1.6-GHz processor with 256-KB L2
cache
■ 15.4-inch wide UXGA (1600 × 1200), 15.4-inch wide
XGA (1024 × 768), or 15.0-inch XGA (1024 × 768)
TFT displays with over 16.7 million colors, varying by notebook model
■ ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 Pro graphics controller
with 64 or 32 MB of video memory, varying by notebook
model
■ 80-, 60-, 40-, or 30-GB high-capacity hard drive, varying by notebook model
■ 256-MB DDR synchronous DRAM (SDRAM) at 333 MHz,
expandable to 2.0 GB

■ Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition and Microsoft
Windows XP Professional
■ Full-size Windows keyboard with integrated numeric keypad
■ TouchPad pointing device
■ Integrated 5-in-1 Memory Reader slot
■ Integrated 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet local area network
(LAN) NIC with RJ-45 connector
■ Integrated wireless support for Mini PCI 802.11a/b/g LAN
devices
■ 2 Type II PC Card slots with support for both 32-bit
(CardBus) and 16-bit PC Cards
■ External 120-watt AC adapter and power cord
■ 12- or 8-cell Li-Ion battery pack
■ Stereo speakers
■ Support for the following devices in the MultiBay:
❏ 24X Max DVD+RW/R and CD-RW Combo Drive
❏ 24X Max DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
❏ 8X Max DVD-ROM Drive
❏ 24X Max CD-ROM Drive
❏ 8-cell Li-Ion battery pack
■ Connectors for:
❏ RJ-11 (modem)
❏ RJ-45 network interface card (NIC)
❏ Universal Serial Bus (USB) v. 2.0 (3)
❏ S-Video
❏ Parallel
❏ External monitor
❏ DC power
❏ Docking
❏ 1394 digital
❏ Microphone
❏ Stereo speaker/headphone
■ Infrared port
The AMD versions on the HP / Compaq site don't show drivers for anything above Windows XP, however the Intel versions show Vista drivers in 32 & 64 bit versions. If you have an Intel processor system you may be able to use the Vista drivers. I have had pretty good luck using Vista drivers with Windows 7.

Ron
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

yes.. mine is the Intel unit.. It said it takes a maximum of 2gb of ram, so I have 2 sticks of 1gb each installed.. running ok since I rolled them? don't know why, but.. not going to question the BSOD.. I can do without the audio for now, and later if need be.. I have my trusty DELL Inspiron Laptop if I need full features.. just paid a lot for this damn HP unit and have only gotten about 3 total weeks of usage if that, in the past 5 years.. but............. one thing is for sure, I will NEVER buy another HP product after being screwed around with for so long by those people.. and I'll NEVER shop Fry's again..
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi again,

Wow sorry to hear about those nasty problems. The best thing to do when shopping for
a system is to go to a local shop or store so that you can bring it right back if you have
a problem. Shipping a computer back and forth isnt easy.

I had a similar problem with a computer i bought from Office Depot a while back.
I think i talked about it here to back then but it got erased during a hard spam
attack on this site.
The system was on sale for something like 350 dollars US and it came with everything
like a DVD burner so i was happy to get it for that price. The CPU was cheap being
a Celery (he he) but i figured what the heck it was 3GHz so i figured it should run fast.
Well, the processor might have been fast, but that was about it. File copy time was so
slow on that computer it was barely equal to a USB memory stick. But that wasnt
the only problem...
It had Vista installed, with NO service packs! The browser would freeze up time after time
and the only way to fix it was to reboot. What a pain that was. But even that wasnt the
worst...
I came home one night and found that it wouldnt boot at all! Yeah, dead. Next day i got
lucky and it booted so i quickly erased my personal info and took the piece of junk back
to the store and got a refund. I bought a hard drive and upgraded my older system instead.

Point is, i was able to run down to the store and return it for a refund, which takes about
45 minutes if you have the receipt with you (of course i forgot it at home and had to
lug the computer back home and get the darn thing and then return so it took a couple
hours). But, at least i was able to take an alternate course of action once i found out
it wasnt any good. I had the computer for about a week that's all, so they took it back.
That's the only way to buy a full computer system really.
If you build it yourself however, that's different. You can return smaller items through
the mail a bit easier than a whole system, and they know that.

So anyway, it is working now?
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.