LED Light problems

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
lborne

Re: LED Light problems

Post by lborne »

I don't have specs on the LEDs, but from research, it seems white LEDs are usually 20-30 milliamps. I've got some old extension cords that are 16 AWG that I can cut up to test and determine if going to a large guage wire will solve the problem. As stated above, they all work together when hhoked directly to the power, so I know there is no problem with the LEDs themselves.
lborne

Re: LED Light problems - UPDATE

Post by lborne »

As I said, I have the lights in the garage and hooked them direct to the wallwart and they all lit up with no flicker. I hooked up a 100 foot extension cord (16 AWG) with all the lights at the end. No flicker. Thought I'd let it sit overnight. Turned out the garage light on my way back inside and caught a flicker out of the corner of my eye. Two of the lights are flickering - probably due to their not getting extra current from the built in solar cells.

So - what should I do? Buy a 14 guage extension cord to test. Cut the one I have, place the LEDs at equal increments as they really will be (instead of all at the end), and hope that solves the flicker? Or use a higher voltage power supply - which would mean changing the resistors. I can't put the power in the middle, unless I run separate wires to the middle, which does not seem logical. The power has to be at one end.
sghioto

Post by sghioto »

Iborne said:
> Two of the lights are flickering - probably due to their not getting extra current from the
> built in solar cells.

Are some of the solar cells still connected? If so then you need to disconnect the solar cells and any other circuitry in the light fixtures from the LED and resistor combo as SETEC_Astronomy suggested earlier!
It's not about the wire guage or where in the line the power is connected. Each LED is only drawing about 27ma, using a 6 volt supply and a 100 ohm series resistor, that's only .243 amp or 1.5 watts for the whole string. 24 guage wire is sufficient, 14 guage wire is rated at 15 amps.

Steve G.
lborne

Post by lborne »

Well, I did remove the solar on one of the lights that was flickering and it did not make a difference. Yes, the other parts of the circuit are still hooked up. The problem is that the electronics are inside a sealed unit. I can easily get to the solar cell wires, but nothing else.

It still bugs me that 7 of the 9 are working perfectly now and that all 9 work great when not hooked up through a long wire.

However, I will try to determine a way to break open the plastic cases and solder the LED directly to the resistor and power. I'll keep everyone posted on progress. May not happen until the weekend.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

as i mentioned earlier, try to add a large value cap to the end of the string and see what happens.. you might just need the boot at the end of the line..
its possible that the circuitry in the fixture, might be causing the problem...perhaps the internal circuitry is causing a problem..
lborne

Post by lborne »

I have a 1000 uF, 100V cap. I'll try it tonight.
lborne

Post by lborne »

The cap worked. Thank you to all.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

woohoo, cool deal :D glad that worked for you..