win---.dll pop-up problem

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
sobeit

win---.dll pop-up problem

Post by sobeit »

I have a Windows XP Professional Service pack 3, I never had this happen and was familiar in how to replace a .dll program, now I have a window pop up and with a problem that tells me system32\winrnr.dll cannot be read or something to the fact, but I was aware to replace it before on another computer, but with this one I'll replace it and another error loading for a dll will pop up, this time it's the rasadhlp.dll then after that was replaced another, wshtcpip.dll. And also I am not able to get to the internet, so I am thinking the dll's are interfering with my protocols.

Can someone please help me with this or should I just format C: this thing. Remember I'm not able to get on the internet so I do know about the scanning process, and I did try from Safe Mode as well same thing happens.

Thanks please help!
SETEC_Astronomy

Re: win---.dll pop-up problem

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

I'll get the typical questions out of the way... Any recent changes? Were you doing anything on the computer when the errors started appearing or did it happen promptly after a reboot? How old is the computer? Have you run CHKDSK? Did the error say "Memory could not be read" and it referenced winrnr.dll or did it say "winrnr.dll could not be read"? Ever run a drive SMART test? Do you know how to enter a BIOS menu? If so does your computer have a RAM test feature/function?
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Hello SETEC_Astronomy,
Changes, yes. I have installed more memory with a 1gig DRam 2weeks ago before the problem, it has been running alot quicker since, I also installed a game called Ghost Recon and was playing that after I installed more memory 2weeks ago, then I installed Kodak Easy Share to learn the program for my in-laws to teach them the program and then a day after the install is when I got the pop-up after I signed in to my desk top windows. Something to do with the OS and Registry.

Computer is 5 years old had no problem with it until now.

Yes I did the CHKDSK, nothing came of it.

The error read, (I'm not 100% sure, I'm at work now and not at home with the Computer), but something to do with the OS couldn't do something with the dll systems and it advise me to go online to get it fixed through Symantec, but I am not able to go online.

Never have ran a Drive Smart test, I could try if you think that could help, but you'll have to clue me in on the procedure of it.

Yes I do know how to enter a Bios menu. What can I do there?

I think it does have the RAM test feature, but I would need to be guided in that to run it.

I hope all these answers will help you to help me.
Thanks for your responds.
SETEC_Astronomy

If I had to guess it's an infection or due to your RAM upgrade. Was it new RAM? Proper anti-static handling procedures used during installation? I would run a memory test to rule it out if nothing else.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I personally have seen problems with Kodak Easyshare on a machine of about that age.
Caused all sorts of problems until it was disabled from startup. Not sure if the owner
ever uninstalled it, though.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

I had an electro-static band on, and I now have 1276Mb in memory. so I know it's not that. I build computers from scratch, from applying resister, capacitors, etc, etc. to the hardware, but I know very little with programming and some of the files in the software.
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Hey There Ceasar,
Yes I feel this may of developed when I installed EasyShare also. I did though uninstalled it a day after the problem and now I just can't seemed to get rid of the dll problem.
SETEC_Astronomy

You two may be on to something, google "kodak easyshare error winrnr.dll". Many of the search results seem to relate to malware and viruses but the amount of hits with easyshare and winrnr.dll are enough to raise suspicions of the Kodak software's play nice factor.
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Will do, Astronomy.
Thanks, If you come up with something to be able to use my Virus-protector let me know, I can only run Avast if I was able to connect to the internet.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Are you blocked from all the internet or just the browser (i.e. can you check email with a client). If just the browser you might download firefox at work and bring it home on a USB stick. Be sure to get the full install not the web install stub.

A system restore seems to be in order after that uninstall didn't fix the blockage.

Finally try the network diagnostics wizard. You can find it near the bottom of the tools menu on internet explorer. (and maybe in help or the control panel too). It usually pops up in IE when a page fails to load as well. Just press the check now button on the browser default page.

Under BIOS, disable fast boot up and it will do the thorough mem test.

At home when this happens to me (not the DLL thing but the blocked internet) it's usually because either I accedently pressed the connect button on the modem or someone unplugged my cable amplifier.

I never use Easyshare even though my camera is a Kodak. Its so much easier to just move the SD card to a reader and manually move the files to a folder. There are so many other photo archiving/Album tools, this one is just clutter to me. Its possible easyshare installed a browser plugin that failed. Check the "manage Add Ons" button on the programs tab of the internet options (also under the tools menu of IE)
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Thanks haklesup,
I have a direct connection with an Ethernet wire for the internet, but for some reason my internet says there is no connectivity.
I use firefox as my main internet connection but cannot connect at the moment.

I've done 4 different dates to restore from and it keeps coming back telling me that Restore was not successful and nothing on the computer has changed.

I shouldn't have to set up my network I have the Ethernet wire connection direct. But I'll try the Network Diagnostic Wizard. As well as the BIOS to disable the fast boot-up.

I have checked all connections and they are all in tacked.

As for the Kodak Easyshare I don't like it as well never have. But I just needed to gain the education of it to teach to others who want to use it.

Thanks again, and I'll keep pluggin at this until it is solved.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

OK I read Windows XP so here is what I would try. Click Start and choose Run. In the run dialog box type cmd and hit Enter. THat should open a command prompt dialog box (assuming your OS is installed on C:\ it should read C\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe). Now at the blinking cursor type in SFC /SCANNOW and hit the Enter key. Note that in SFC /SCANNOW there is a space between SFC and /SCANNOW.

You may need to have your original Windows XP disk at the ready.

SFC is a System File Checker and it will check the files (.DLL Files) to make sure they are correct and not corrupt. With any luck that should resolve your problems. I would also uninstall Kodak Easyshare before running the SFC.

Ron
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

One more question. Have you restarted your router / modem? Sometimes that will resolve problems that
seem to be with your computer but are actually external. Just a thought.

CeaSaR

Kodak: cameras = OK. Software = no way!
Hey, what do I know?
sobeit

Post by sobeit »

Hey guys, I finally did it!
I took all of your suggestions and tried them, but none really work, but I did learn a lot through all the processes. I took the suggestion to google dll problems and in one of the forums a procedure said to do the following, (In case someone else has this problem),
1st step, go into CMD and type in ipconfig, hit enter and a in the command prompt window will give you IP and Mask numbers, the IP was 162.--------, which 162 isn't a connecting internet number, it should start with 192 or higher.
2nd step, I called my internet service providers which is Time Warner and they had me unplug my router power and the processed me a new IP address which took five minutes while off the phone with the computer off. After the five minutes was up, plugged the power back into the router wait another five minutes then turn the computer on. I still ended up getting that nasty window message which I kept closing it and it kept coming back until it stopped.
3rd step, I went back into CMD and typed in ipconfig, checked the Ip address and it read the starting number of 192 which is an internet connection.
4th step, went into the system32 folder and click and dragged the winrnr.ddl out of folder and onto the desktop, renamed the file "oldwinrnr" (notice the dll is no longer in the name). Close the System32 folder, then bring it up again and make sure there is another "winrnr.dll" in there, (each time you take out a dll it should replace itself with another one).
5th step, restart the computer and log on to the desktop, while the desk top was loading a file of another dll came up in that nasty window, but this time it was a different dll. So I did the same as in "Step 4" and another came up in the restart process, (replacing the infected dll's make take a few times), after the third replacement I have cleared out the infected dll's and my internet was connected and I have not received that nasty window since. Everything is running fine now.
A suggestion to those of you who may want to installed the Kodak Easyshare, if you have an older computer from 2005 or older Do Not Install It you will be gambling on the the performance of you system.

And all you guys that were taking part in helping me with this I greatly appreciate you inputs, Thanks guys.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Glad to see you found the answer and fixed the problem. So it ended up being an amalgam of all
the steps we suggested. So much for making things "Kodak" easier. :roll:

I have found that most software that touts itself as being "easier" than standard steps ususally
ends up making life a living h*ll. That's why I stick with a more barebones setup - less conflicts.

A big HOOHAH! for all the support on this issue.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?