Another Resource

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
CeaSaR

Another Resource

Post by CeaSaR »

During my travels I came across a Radio Shack where the employee was actually a retired
electronic professional. It was a real treat to talk to him (How's it going, Joe?) in what has
become an end user retail outfit. During our conversation, I told him of the board and how
fun it was to be here. He gave me some advice on where to find parts that are relatively
inexpensive. MAT Electronics is one of his favorite mail order shops to go to. I have only had
a few minutes to peruse the sight, but already I have found something that I know at least
one or two other people here would love to see. The Speaker and Accessories section has
almost everything to make your own speaker, from voice coils all the way to dustcaps. All
you would need is the basket and magnet!

Anyway, I wanted to share this with everyone. Perhaps it will be of use.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Re: Another Resource

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Yeah,
I've purchased lots of parts from them for many years now. :grin:

Signed: Janitor Tzap
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

Looks interesting and they do have some good prices on some things. They dont seem to
have a lot of the stuff i usually buy however, or at least not in single piece quantities
like say Jameco.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

CeaSaR wrote: MAT Electronics
If I visit this site my screen turns red and the address bar turns pink with a warning that the matelectronics site is a source of malicious software. Does anyone else experience this?

I use AVG anti-virus running in the background.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi Bob,

I for one did not have that problem, but i also did not check to see if the site left any objectional
things on my computer either. Maybe i should check.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

"If I visit this site my screen turns red and the address bar turns pink with a warning that the matelectronics site is a source of malicious software. Does anyone else experience this?
"

I don't get that but if I click on Download catalog, it locks my browser up and I have to start over.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I have AVG on both machines that were used to look at MAT Electronic's website and did not receive any
warnings about it. What DID happen is that the site refused to load completely the first time through and
I had to force close all windows. When I tried the second time, the site opened up just fine.

Oh, I also had to upgrade my flash player. That might have been the reason for the 1st problem I had.

The Catalog is a rather large PDF and can take some time to download and render. It took several minutes
to fully open and operate on my system, even with Comcast highspeed.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi again,

I was able to download the pdf catalog so if anyone wants it that has trouble getting
it just PM me with an email address and i'll be happy to pass it on.

I didnt have any problems on the site, and maybe that's because i dont have
flash player installed right now. I suspected a security leak in the flash players
and besides sites use them in objectional, annoying ways so i only use it when
i absolutely have to read something that needs it.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Isn't it ironic (or just sad) that an electronics site would be buggy?
WA2RBA
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Robert Reed wrote:I don't get that but if I click on Download catalog, it locks my browser up and I have to start over.
Just let it run. It takes a while to download that 13MB catalog and there is no progress indicator. I thought Explorer locked up too, but it did finally finish loading so I could view it.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Odd, the first time I visited the site my browser (Firefox) went right to it, I just clicked the bookmark I had for the site and got the warning previously mentioned. McAfee's Site Advisor gives the site a clean bill of health (McAfee - Matelectronics.com) but the same cannot be said of Google, Google Safe Browsing - Matelectronics.com.