Storing copper clad laminate

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
psycho

Storing copper clad laminate

Post by psycho »

I just got in my order of blank panels (30pcs of 2x3" and 15pcs of 3x4"). The boards are nice. Normally I would no order this many but the price was way better than the local radio shaft which may or may not have them to begin with.

I tried googling to find out how people store their material and didn't find much. Google converts "storing" to "store" so you get alot of sales hits.

So, I'll ask here - How do you store your copper clad laminate?

Thanks,
Kevin
haklesup

Re: Storing copper clad laminate

Post by haklesup »

I haven't been in a Shack for some time. They used to sell these really cheapo Phenolic boards that could easily warp and weren't very resistant to burning. I hope you got some FR-4 boards though either usually works out for simple projects.

If the goal is to keep the copper from oxidizing too much, I would suggest storage in a zip lock bag with some dessicant packs. (if you are recycling packs from stuff you bought, microwave until hot to drive out any water and they'll be fresh like new). Also avoid handling with bare hands.

Common sandwich bags aren't really hermetic. Freezer bags will block gas diffusion better and if you have a vacuum sealer, all the better for long term storage.
psycho

Post by psycho »

Yep... It's FR4. You can see it here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-16-062-SS-360in-C ... 53da9ed153

My first thought was Ziplock type bags. That confirms my hunch. I also thought about the vacuum sealer thing but the problem with that is that I don't have one.

Kevin
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

I think sealing/bagging the PCB material is a great idea. For what it is worth... we don't do anything with our board material. It is just loose in a drawer. Before I use a piece of it, I take one of those green "Scotchbrite" pads to it, and it shines up like brand new. Vacuum seal would sure be ideal though.