composite video pattern generator

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

composite video pattern generator

Post by dacflyer »

my tenma model 72-1070 pattern generator is not working well anymore.
i cannot find a replacement on MCM anymore. and i am not good enough to repair this one i have.
it does make video on a monitor, but the color bars and patterns are not working like they used to.. i have looked at it, but its too compact for me to see anything. and i do not have everything i need to deal with it.

anyone here wanna work with it ? repair it. will pay you for your time.
unless you know where i can find one at a decent price. i only need it to work on video game monitors hi res. and med res. and it must be composite.
MrAl

Re: composite video pattern generator

Post by MrAl »

Hi dac,

Do you have a schematic?
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Check out ebay and search for "bar generator" or "electronic test equipment". Stuff is so dirt cheap. THOUSANDS of pieces from antiques to modern.

It is sad. All this stuff used to keep people employed. Now it is just about worthless. I did see a pattern generator in there, dots and hatch for convergence.....I was going to say "registration".
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

MrAl >> no i cannot find any info on it. i only know i bought it from MCM many years ago..
wasn't cheap either. think i paid bout 200.00 something for it.
not sure if it got zapped one day or dropped it, but eitherway i cannot get it to work right..
but i'll probaby look on ebay and see whats out there. would rather have this one repaired if possible.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i looked at this today on ebay.. any comments,,
http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-LCD-Monitor-Vide ... 4a9b65c6ea
worth getting ? will only be using to to test video game monitors and or computer monitors.
or any other suggestions ?
just need a simple video generator to see if the pic. is good or not.. i do not need anything complicated.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

You know what Dac, I seem to remember a project for this a few years ago. I'm going to
have to dig deep into the ancient recesses of my magazine library to see if I'm right.

Anyone else remember what I'm thinking of? No idea which magazine, though.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
nevdull

Post by nevdull »

I've found this monitor tester to be pretty neat. Has several test patterns, very easy to make.
http://www.eosystems.ro/deogen/deogen_en.html
:eek:
jwax

Post by jwax »

dac- That ebay item would do the job, but it brings up a question- Don't some game consoles (older?) use an RGB video signal rather than VGA or SVGA video? Do you need to test RGB monitors too?
Reason I'm asking is because we have an old monitor that failed in a good piece of equipment that uses RGB video. I'm looking for a RGB-to-VGA converter so I can use a new computer monitor.
Anyway, could you use PC-generated test signals? Looks like there's a few free software programs out there.
WA2RBA
Jim Barrett

Post by Jim Barrett »

G'day Folks,
There is a DVD that supplies test patterns etc. for TV adjustment. I think it's called "DVD Video Essentials". DVD players are cheap now & could supply a variety of outputs. It's what I do when I need a test pattern.
Actually, I got the DVD from my local library & then decided it was what I needed so I went ahead & bought it. Barnes & Noble & I think about $35.00.
Jim
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

dacflyer wrote:MrAl >> no i cannot find any info on it. i only know i bought it from MCM many years ago..
wasn't cheap either. think i paid bout 200.00 something for it.
not sure if it got zapped one day or dropped it, but eitherway i cannot get it to work right..
but i'll probaby look on ebay and see whats out there. would rather have this one repaired if possible.
Hi again,

I would take a look at it if i had a schematic, but with some things it's a nightmare trying to fix
something without a schematic. I dread even doing my ATX power supply voltage output modification
without having a full schematic. In fact, if you could get a schematic somehow i could tell you
just by looking at the schematic if i could fix it or not. It mostly depends on what kind of parts
they used, if they are well documented and still available.

How many parts does the pc board for this thing have?
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

MrAl >> i cannot find any info on it at all..

JWAX >> the item i have is indeed will work for a VGA SVGA monochrome , and they are all having the RGB output in the cable as well as the sync signal, they actually make a DB15 cable with the RGB seperated. i use a homemade cable that has the ends i need on them to be able to just plug them right onto the video connector on the monitor, usually its a 6 pin female connector or simmilar. but mine is just broke now :P
the one i tried to win on ebay sold for $100.00 i was outbid instantly each time, and after it was over, i was offered a 2nd chance to buy it..not for 100.00
i'll buy the one a guy has for 35.00 in australia.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

How about a Model 72-870? Check here.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

This site has some possible solutions if you wanted to build a new piece of equipment.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks, that item you showed, is NTSC, i need composite video.
no time or patience to build anything right now..too many other irons in the fire right now.
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

thanks, that item you showed, is NTSC, i need composite video.
I thought NTSC WAS composite video.
"Who is John Galt?"