Seeking Varactor Diodes

List your items for sale, trade, or give away here.
Private party only - NO commercial ads allowed
Robert Reed

Seeking Varactor Diodes

Post by Robert Reed »

Hi All
I am in desperate need of MV1404 varactor diodes. need a minimum of two, but may go for six. Got'em ? - name your price!
Robert Reed

Re: Seeking Varactor Diodes

Post by Robert Reed »

Nope. These are mostly asian sources that have bought up all obsolete stock and resell them at 1000% markup. And if that isn't bad enough, they usually have a $100 or more minimum. There are literally dozens and dozens of these out fits on the web. Occasionally some of the smaller outlets will have single unit prices that are reasonable but finding them is very hard.
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Is $9.75 each a good price? This site claims to have them with no minimum order and fairly reasonable shipping http://www.crystalonics.com/priceList.html
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Setec
This is a step in the right direction and had already bookmarked their site. However $25 seems like a high price for just two diodes + shipping. Best price I have to date is RF Parts Co. at $6.95 a pop. If these diodes were in current production today, one would expect to pay $1.50 for them. There are a slew of SMD varactors out there for less tha a dollar, howewver they are all 'abrupt' series. There seem to be no 'hyper-abrupt' series in SMD. The hypers are far superior in Cr ratios and max C vaues, which is what is required for this design. Ultimately, I may be forced to pay some outrageous price for them, but I will be gagging all the way :sad:
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Yeah,

I know how that is. :sad:

I had to pay through the nose for old specialty Pioneer Output Amp Chips.
{$40 a pop!}

Wondering......
What sort of equipment uses this type of Diode?
Can they be found in old TV's that have the Varactor Diodes in the Tuner sections?

If that's the case.
I'd hunt down an old junked out TV, and get the Diodes that way.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
jjhdnd

Post by jjhdnd »

Arrow Electronics (http://www.arrownac.com) sells hyperabrupt varactors from Aeroflex Metelics: the SMV1404 is listed at $1.56 each.

http://www.aeroflex.com/ams/metelics/mi ... upt-WB.cfm
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Jan
Probably not TV's, but maybe FM tuners. I know one use was in commercial aircraft two way radio and suspect most Lo-band and hi- band radios in the LMR sevice could have used these. But any application reqiring a VCO in the 25-150 MHz range might have used these in that day (70s & 80s).

JJHDND
Thank you for the lead, and welcome to the forum. I have worked with Aeroflex Attenuators in the past, but had no idea they were into small components. Had checked Arrow last week and some how missed this. Will call them tomorrow and hope I don't need to buy some ungodly quantity to qualify.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

WHAAAAAT?