question about the clamwin antivirus program,,

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
dacflyer

question about the clamwin antivirus program,,

Post by dacflyer »

question about the clamwin program,,i have a few files that i use ( .EXE ) files.. well clam win put them in quarrantine, how to i mark them to be allowed.. also in the folder the file endings are listed as ...example ---> buttons.exe.infected how to i get my file back ?
can i just remove the .infected extension ?
and how do i keep it from being re-quarrantined ? thanks..
dacflyer

Re: question about the clamwin antivirus program,,

Post by dacflyer »

kheston >> you suggested this program, got any exp with it ?? what about you setec ??
kheston

Post by kheston »

Dacflyer,

I can answer your question now that you're famous. ;) Sorry for not having answered sooner.

If you remove the ".infected" extension, the files will work once more. To keep them from being quarantined again, go to Tools->Preferences and click the Filters tab. Add the file names (without an asterisk/wildcard) to the list and ClamWin will ignore them.

A word of caution: ClamWin didn't quarantine those files because it simply didn't like their names, it did so because they contain bit patterns it knows to be hazardous. Be afraid of adding any file to your whitelist without first making SURE it contains no malicious bits.

HTH
Kurt - SF Bay
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

kheston >> thanks for the info.. i know the files are clean..had them many years, they are computer prank files, nothing harmful at all. just jokelike.. :)
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks again for the info..but where do i do this so called whitelisting of certain files so that clamwin will not tag them again as a virus..searched for a while now, no luck to find where they go..took me a while just to find my virus vault folder. just need to find how to allow them now.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

anyone ?? trying not to be forgotten here...
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Clamwin doesn't seem to have that functionality in a cut and dry sort of way. You do have a few options though, you can exclude the folder containing the prank files from searches by moving the files to a flash drive, separate partition, CD-R or DVD-R. If the files share a naming convention you can use the filter controls of Clamwin to skip the files by creating an exclude filter that matches all of the files that return false positives. To do so go to Tools then select Preferences and when the dialogue box opens click the Filters tab.
VernGraner

Post by VernGraner »

SETEC_Astronomy wrote:Clamwin doesn't seem to have that functionality in a cut and dry sort of way.
I have recently been experimenting with "Moon Secure Antivirus". Similar to ClamAV, Moon Secure is a "shell" for the ClamAV GNU/Public License virus engine.

Moon Secure Antivirus offers the one major piece missing from the ClamWIN distribution-- ON ACCESS scanning of files. In my experience with ClamWIN, to protect yourself from a virus infection you either have to A) scan each file manually before you open or save it or B) run a regularly scheduled scan of all files on your system.

Manual scanning is cumbersome and scheduled scans may be "too late" if the virus came onto your system at 8:00am and your virus scan runs at 10:00pm. :???:

I've only just recently begun to experiment with MoonAV, but so far, I've used it to replace the increasingly more annoying AVG and AVAST on two of my home machines, and have had no problems. YMMV :cool:

Vern
--
Vern Graner
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

SETEC_Astronomy >> thanks for the info... i think i might can handle it now,, if i am right i just go in the exclude section and click new and insert the file name ??