designing for datalogger:)

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
theripley

designing for datalogger:)

Post by theripley »

Hi

This is a newbie's post, please pardon if this sounds NUTS:)

I am designing a stand-alone datalogger as part of our company's innovative project target for marketing. Although, datalogger have long been in the market, we are giving it our customization that would fit our client's requirement. I am new PIC (as I am only familiar with PLC & its programming) & I believe learning it on my own can be done but is consuming a lot time. Here's the design:

1. A data logger will display (thru an LCD) & retain data (thru an internal memory).
2. It is coupled with an RH & temperature sensor.
3. A customized software will be made for easy monitoring of the measured system.

Question:

1. What PIC is suitable for this application
2. What LCD must I use
3. How can I learn programming the "FASTEST" way

Kindly post your comments if incase this thread is not very clear to you:)

Best regards,
theripley
Mastery is my goal
mthornton

Re: designing for datalogger:)

Post by mthornton »

1. What PIC is suitable for this application
>PICs arent really the greatest for data-logging, as you will generally need to use external A/D to get resolution > 10 bit, and will most often need to use (& manage) some form of external memory. Pics manage their internal ram in agonizingly small banks of 256 bytes.
But if your data memory requirements are small, using a pic with an external A/D and serial eeprom is certainly doable. Try starting with a 16F88, some I2C external 12-bit A/D, and an I2C serial eeprom. Grow from there.

2. What LCD must I use
>Driving character LCDs, with an on-board controller (up to 4x40) is really simple, and the method is the same for a 1x8 all the way up to a 4x40. 2x16s (parallel) cost <$10
get your boots wet with parallel character LCD. Serial character LCDs are pretty expensive
>Driving a graphic LCD, with an on-board controller, is still pretty easy, and will allow you to line-graph your data. Serial based graphic controllers make the interfacing & code required reasonable, and justify the additional cost of a serial graphics controller.

3. How can I learn programming the "FASTEST" way
>By being way smarter than every one else. Otherwise you simply have to pay your dues by putting in hard hours. I found starting with CCS C quick & easy to learn, and then advanced to microchip C30.
M
psycho

Re: designing for datalogger:)

Post by psycho »

I would use a PIC18 series chip. I would also output the data to an SD card (SPI mode). The Microchip PIC 18C compiler is available for student use and the libraries that come with it are pretty extensive. There is a FAT file system library and examples available, too.

Kevin