What's with the spam?

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Lenp

What's with the spam?

Post by Lenp »

What is the sense of the spam that seems to be growing. I'm at a real loss as to its purpose.
Most people ignore it, just dump it. and go on since the ISP's appear to be powerless to stop it. I really want to believe that the majority of people are smart enough to not fall for all the hype that surrounds the colon cleanse, enlargement, investment schemes, or are they? These scams are 'monkey see monkey do' like, and are being broadcast in untold volumes.
If you open some of the messages, yes I know it's a risk but I run a sacrificial lamb system, it is full of nonsensical drivel. No thought, theme or sense, just a hodgepodge of phrases that are probably computer assembled (AI at it's finest). Again, what's the point. Is it to trap your IP so they can send more trash? Do some people really believe 'Mr. Mustyroot in Ethiopia really has 5 Million USD just for you'?. I realize it costs pennies to send thousands of emails but there must be a point someplace. Just like the invasions to this board, what's the point, We ignore them, delete them and they keep coming back. Is it a plot to disrupt the valid internet capabilities?

Hands up who makes sense out of all this

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
SETEC_Astronomy

Re: What's with the spam?

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

It all has to do with money. The companies/people that spam make tons of it. Recently a site sprang up selling fake anti-virus software, they made over $100,000 in a few hours. How did they get the traffic? Spam. The site spammed, made people believe they were infected but could pay $20 to them to be "cleaned and fixed". What did $20 buy them? A msgbox that read "Virus found and cleaned". I hate to admit I know people who are intelligent that would fall for spam (possibly). They're of the mentality that I just want it to work, I don't care how and I don't want to know why.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i should put my solar powered clothes dryer back on the market..lol :P

besides, spam belongs in a can..
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Setec,
I understand that, but, what about the emails and spam that are pure junk, nonsense. Look at what comes into this board and you'll see, jibberish. They don't ask, tell, sell, say or elude to anything of intellect...Beam Me Up Scotty!

Dacflyer,
I have a product I plan to introduced soon, it's an 'End Of The World Alarm', with an unlimited guarantee. If the world ends and it fails to alarm, return it for a full refund.
$5.00+ $100 S/H, Line forms to the right!

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Lenp wrote:Setec,
I understand that, but, what about the emails and spam that are pure junk, nonsense. Look at what comes into this board and you'll see, jibberish. They don't ask, tell, sell, say or elude to anything of intellect...Beam Me Up Scotty!
Ah sorry, the intent there is just to have links to your site in as many places as possible so google will index them. The hope is after spamming their links when anyone searches for that product or a related one they're high in the results and then screw you should you try to us them. By *quickly* deleting their posts we are defeating the purpose of the spam here on our forum. You post 500 links and 100 get deleted so next time you post 600. More is better for them and they expect some links not to last. The spam that is nothing but nike, nike shoes, shoes, sports, footwear, quality shoes, cheap shoes, cheap nikes, etc.... is all meant for google to associate those words with whatever link is also posted. The sneakier posters don't put links in the word list, they put it in their signature.