Three compfusers on the same internet provider ?

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Externet

Three compfusers on the same internet provider ?

Post by Externet »

Hi all.
A friend that knows less than me ! :shock: needs to have 3 WinVista PC's sharing an internet service, which is wireless, enters the premises over the air; (no landlines involved) and been told by the provider AT&T, the signal/service comes from a cell tower to a single USB stick with antenna plugged to only one of the PC's

How to make/configure/hardwire/softset the contraption?
Is a router -or hub? -(whatever that is) needed; or linking the PC's via USB or netports or... ?
The wireless service USB stick link item is not available in other form. :cry:
Thanks,
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
reloadron

Re: Three compfusers on the same internet provider ?

Post by reloadron »

Hi Miguel

Any range to speak of? Range meaning are the other 2 computers in close proximity to the first USB connected computer? Desktops or laptops?

Ron
Externet

Post by Externet »

Thanks for responding, Ron.
All desktop PC's will be in about 30ft from each other.

Miguel
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Hi Miguel

OK, and going wireless here is what I would think about doing. Set up Vista ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the machine that connects. Since we want wireless purchase a wireless router of choice. Connect the LAN (assuming the connected computer has a LAN connector) and use the connected machine for ICS. I can get more detailed if needed.

Ron
Externet

Post by Externet »

Thanks Ron. It would have to be detailed in idiot-proof mode.

The PC with wireless internet USB thingy connects
-its ethernet port to a wireless router and
-the other two compfusers take some kind of satellite wireless somethings in their USB or Ethernet port to talk to
-that wireless router.

That for hardware. How far am I from grasping it ?
Settings to check later

Miguel :smile:
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Hi Ya Miguel

THIS LINK provides a rough overview of what I am talking about. However, forget the refrences to the DSL or Cable modem. The connected machine using the USB wireless connection becomes the "host" computer with ICS enabled on it. Then a LAN (Local Area Connection) port of the host machine is connected to a wireless router. The remaining two client machines will need to have wireless NIC (Network Interface Connection) cards installed. The wireless router replaces the switch in the link.

Without seeing the existing hardware it is difficult to explain and say exactly what is needed. However, based on a good guess or huntch I would say a few wireless LAN cards and a wireless router.

Also in the manner of keeping things inexpensive a simple Wireless G will work just fine, I see no need for Wireless Draft N unless speed and large file transfers would be involved. Additionally the wireless security will need to be setup on the router. I suggest wireless LAN (NIC) cards the router be the same brand.

Ron
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

Externet wrote:A friend that knows less than me needs to have 3 WinVista PC's sharing an internet service, which is wireless, enters the premises over the air; (no landlines involved) and been told by the provider AT&T, the signal/service comes from a cell tower to a single USB stick with antenna plugged to only one of the PC's
Option 1:
Each PC has a separate ISP account, and operates
independently. No data sharing. Each PC has its own dedicated
WiFi adapter.

Option 2:
One PC is the "gateway" and the others connect to the single
ISP account through that machine with Ethernet cables.

Option 3:
A WiFi Gateway/Router manages traffic from each of the three
PCs over wired Ethernet cables. Only one ISP account.

Option 4:
A WiFi Gateway manages traffic from the ISP to a second
WiFi access point (on another channel on the 802.11G radio
band). Each of the three PCs connect by wireless WiFi the
access point. Only one ISP account.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

OK, I wanted to be sure of what I typed out earlier. Therefore a proof of concept was in order. I needed a victim to serve as the host computer and provide a shared Internet connection to some of the what we will call client machines lying around here. Since you mentioned wireless even though the machines are in close proximity we will go the wireless route. Our Internet happens to be through a cable provider but it could as easily be DSL or through a cellular provider. It really matters not for this little science experiment. My wife who is asleep offered her computer as the victim (err host) computer even though she is unaware of it.

The motherboard on her system happens to have two RJ45 connectors (LAN connectors) which made her's a good choice. I connected one of her LAN ports directly to the cable modem wired as if it were the only computer here. The machine is set to obtain an IP address automatically from the modem. I booted her machine and it had a good Internet connection and worked just fine. This is a Vista system. Next from the Start button I clicked Start and opened the Control Panel. Right click on the Network and Sharing Center and choose Open. On the left side of the panel we click on Manage Network Connections. This opens your Network Connections window. I chose the current active network connection with a Right Click and choose Properties. I clicked the Sharing tab and enabled sharing for that connection, this is known as ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) mentioned earlier.

That done, I have a Linksys WRT54GS every day wireless G router. I connected the Internet (WAN) port to the host machine using a short ethernet patch cable and booted the router up. This is the same old router I use for my wireless internet and is normally connected to my cable modem.

I booted my laptop up and it connected wirelessy just fine. I then booted up the machine I am currently on and it booted up just fine with a wireless connection.

Now in the case of your friend. You would do pretty much the same thing. You would open the Internet Connections and you will see the USB stick connection. You would go into properties of that connection using a right click. You would click the Sharing tab and enable ICS. That machine also likely has an open LAN Port (RJ45 Connector) on the back. Using a patch ethernet cable you would just connect a wireless router. That machine is your host. The remaining two machines will need wireless NIC cards installed unless they already have wireless capability.

I am guessing your friend does not want to subscribe to additional Internet service for the remaining two machines?

Just about all wireless routers also have some wired ports which could also be used if they don't mind a few short wired runs.

Ron
Externet

Re: Three compfusers on the same internet provider

Post by Externet »

Thanks Ron, that is a detailed explanation I should be able to follow. :grin:

Spent this morning at the friends's place, ready for action; and discussing his plan before buying the stuff, he is now reluctant to go with three compfusers and prefers only two, on his sales counter. Went to the store to buy a PC, and they did not stock at the moment one with Intel processor. So it will be next weekend.

Now with his change of opinion, seems it will be much easier; with your explanation and this I found on the net :

http://www.jamus.co.nz/technology/technology.php

So everything is delayed a few days, will keep informing progress

Miguel :grin:
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

That gets real simple and tell you the truth for a few machines just about side by side on a counter I would run a simple crossover cable between the two as mentioned in your link. I have done that countless times in the past. The first machine should have an available ethernet port as well as the second. Literally a few bucks buys a crossover patch cord and that's it. That would be sweet. There really isn't a need for wireless.

Ron
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

reloadron wrote:I would run a simple crossover cable between the two as mentioned in your link. I have done that countless times in the past.
What is a crossover cable? What does it do?
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Bigglez wrote:
reloadron wrote:I would run a simple crossover cable between the two as mentioned in your link. I have done that countless times in the past.
What is a crossover cable? What does it do?
It's an Ethernet patch cable that has Transmit and Receive reversed or "Crossed" to allow two NIC's to "talk" directly to each other. Think of the crossover cable as a null modem cable. On some newer hardware these crossover cables aren't needed, the NIC detects the technically improper cable and adjusts accordingly.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

THIS LINK provides a pretty good pictorial of a crossover cable. What it does is enable someone to basically network two computers side by side or in close proximity to each other wired without the use of a router or any other hardware. This technique only works for two machines meaning we can't daisy chain a line of machines by using crossover cables and NIC cards. Also when I say "close proximity" it could be up to about 300 feet using good quality cable.

Note how in a simple ethernet patch cable we really only use two pairs of twisted wire. Total of four wires is all we use of the eight available. TX+, TX-, RX+ and RX- and they are a straight shot. On a crossover we flip them a little.

<EDIT> SETEC_Astronomy was faster than me! :smile: Also as he mentions on newer systems they aren't always needed. Since I make my own cables I never worry about having a crossover cable as making one is the same as making a standard cable. </EDIT>

Ron
Externet

Re: Three compfusers on the same internet provider

Post by Externet »

There is another page about the crossover cables here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
and shows the adapter to convert a straight network cable if you have no crimper or terminals .

Miguel
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

YOu should also be able to do that with a FireWire cable just as well as an ethernet cable.