Circuit city drops the big one...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
MrAl

Circuit city drops the big one...

Post by MrAl »

Hello,

Well the expected finally happened. Circuit City announced that
it is selling all stores in the US. Too bad.
Probably detailed stories all over the web by now.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

as many times as they have done me wrong, i hope they go down the tubes..

circuit city = circlejerk city. >:(
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi again,

I got my VCR from them many years ago and the rewind stopped working
after only about 6 months but i didnt realize it was actually bad until
some years later.
On the other hand, i got my NEC monitor from them and it lasted
something like 10 years.

Even if i didnt like their stuff i hate to see them go under because that
reduces competition for the other stores, which tend to raise prices
after loosing competition.
stevech

Post by stevech »

When Circuit City began, there was no Best Buy. Federated was the competition.

Circuit City went to aggressive, commissioned immature sales people and when management finally realized that was a turn-off for customers, it was too late. They couldn't woo customers back nor compete with Best Buy and Costco.

These days, I buy all but major purchases in electronics from Newegg.com. Costco for TVs due to their returns policy.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

Costco has good return policy for the televisions?
Jim Barrett

Post by Jim Barrett »

When circuit city fired all of their senior sales people and said they would allow them to reapply for their jobs at a lower pay rate some months down the line I decided that that was too much.
I refused to do business with them (figuring that the lower prices came at the cost of people's pride & income) and as a professional in the business I steered everyone I talked to away from them.
I take a warm feeling from their demise although my heart goes out to those who are losing their jobs in these worse than lousy economic times.
Unfortunately it does strengthen Best Buy's position & they are getting pretty arrogant as it is.
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

Jim Barrett wrote: When circuit city fired all of their senior sales people and said they would allow them to reapply for their jobs at a lower pay rate some months down the line I decided that that was too much.
I'm wondering what alternative you would have suggested?
Jim Barrett wrote: I refused to do business with them (figuring that the lower prices came at the cost of people's pride & income) and as a professional in the business I steered everyone I talked to away from them.
So now they're closing their doors the "people's
pride & income" issue has been solved, once and for all...
Jim Barrett

Post by Jim Barrett »

We're kind of straying from the topic here Bigglez but that's OK by me.
I happen to believe that a business owes something to it's community/society in addition to owing something to it's shareholders, and that the obligation to the community/society should, ultimately, take precedence.

Perhaps businesses should consider paying smaller dividends to shareholders (it is, after all, called unearned income) and investing more in it's employees & hence the community in which they operate.

Quite frankly, I take the Ckt City business a bit more personally because at a very tough time in my life I sat outside one and told myself that as a trained, experienced tech who had been operating his own business for a few years I was too proud to walk in there and ask for a sales job. I sat there and reaffirmed my desire to grow my own business, then drove away. My commitment to my business has paid off & I'm still in it. It ain't much but it's mine & I treat those I work with with dignity & respect.

In the past I've worked for organizations that put profit as the bottom line and am proud to say that I objected and when I could'nt see a change I found another place to work.

Even now, in worse than lousy economic times, I work very hard to hold onto those values in my business. I'll never be rich but I pay my bills and try to lead an honest & honorable life. I don't have everything I want but I do have everything I need & that's more than a lot of folks can say today.

I was brought up to "take as much as you need and leave the rest for others". What I see today is "grab as much as you can and screw everbody else".

Sorry, I won't live that way.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Circuit City went to aggressive, commissioned immature sales people and when management finally realized that was a turn-off for customers, it was too late. They couldn't woo customers back nor compete with Best Buy and Costco.
My experience exactly. Last time I shopped there (I guess I wasn't dressed well enough) I was ignored by 2 senior sales people who were engaged in an important non-work topic. When I finally was able to make my selection with the help of a new guy, I insisted that the trainee close the sale and I made it clear why. I don't like stores that don't have a front checkout either (not sure if they ever moved back to that since I rarely went back in.)

Only 2 I know of closed months ago and one had a best buy exactly across the street.

RIP Mervyns too
stevech

Post by stevech »

it's disconcerting... who's next?

JC Penny's?
Sears?

I was shocked that Linens 'n Things couldn't make it.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

stevech wrote:it's disconcerting... who's next?

JC Penny's?
Sears?

I was shocked that Linens 'n Things couldn't make it.

Ha ha, Linens 'n Things, wow im gonna miss that one (hee hee).
I think Sams Saddlery went under a few years ago too (ha ha ha).
What's next, Pets R Us ?? (chuckle).
gerty

Post by gerty »

Makes you wonder what all the people that purchased extended warranties are going to do?
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi gerty,

I had read that somehow they are still going to honor those.
There is another company that takes care of that.
Their (now mostly defunct) web site explains better than i can.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

I'm only sorry that this will mean less competition for Best Buy.

I've only purchased 3 items from Circuit City.
Of which two of them were returned with in a few days.
These two were a Key Board and Mouse.
I should of known better than too buy them,
because they looked kind of cheesy, and cheap.
And too use them for a gamer system was just begging for them to fail.

As for the third item.
I still have it.
A Sharp DVD/VCR/Recorder.
I did my home work first before buying it.
It just so happen that CC had just a slightly lower price then BB.
But, I was more interested in how durable it was, and what features it had.
So far, it has worked pretty much flawlessly.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dtief

Post by dtief »

In a while, some other store will develop into a chain, and the cycle will continue. I've seen so many stores come & go, some new one comes along, then goes downhill (whether due to not adapting with the market, or new owners screw up what made the store/s successful), then out of business, some new one comes along, etc......

Extended warranties are mostly a bad deal for the buyer. There are a very few instances where they make sense financially.