The newest registered user is Forrest Mims III

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I have at my fingertips RS #62-2095, Integrated Circuit Projects vol 6,
first edition, first printing 1977, by Forrest M. Mims, III. Sold for $1.25
back then! This is actually son #1's book he found at a yard sale a while
back and had to have.

Who'd a thunk?!

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
evahle

Forrest Mims III

Post by evahle »

Hi Mr. Mims. Since you've joined the forum, I've been kind of speechless. So rather than ask a million questions here, I'd just want to try and do a little catch up on what you've been experimenting with.

I read your article on Dr. Doom, and was very impressed with your ability to switch hats. I can't wait to read more.

I hope you and your family(Saw their picture on your site), have a great Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year. Everyone else too!

evahle :smile:
Bob Scott

Re: Checking in with like minded experimenters

Post by Bob Scott »

Forrest Mims III wrote:Greetings Electronics Experimenters,

Thanks very much for the kind greetings. I've read Nuts and Volts for years and should have joined the forum long ago.
I'm glad you did. Now I can post my scanned pencil-on-engineering-graph-paper diagrams without fear of laughter! Hehe!

Bob
Forrest Mims III

Post by Forrest Mims III »

Bob,

Just noted your post about hand-lettered/drawn circuits.

My first hand-lettered books (Engineer's Notebook, vols 1 and 2) were India ink on Mylar. This was not easy and even caused my middle finger to bleed. Worse, errors were impossible to correct.

So I switched to a 0.7mm mechanical pencil (which is still in use) on a heavy paper stock pre-printed with lines or grids. This was much better--plus, errors could be easily corrected.

I've done some books using my hand-lettered font (two versions) in PageMaker with scanned versions of hand-drawn circuits.

All this is to simply say good for you and your hand-drawn circuits!

Forrest

Forrest M. Mims III
www.forrestmims.org
www.sunandsky.org
www.twitter.com/fmims
Bigglez

Re: Checking in with like minded experimenters

Post by Bigglez »

Bob Scott wrote:Now I can post my scanned pencil-on-engineering-graph-paper diagrams without fear of laughter!
Why would anyone laugh at another poster's original work?
Has this already happened to you on this forum?
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome Mr. Mims and thank him for his contributions to our hobby (and other fields, of course). If he should read this, I'd like him to know my parents' home is near Marion. My Dad was a regular reader of his column in the Seguin Gazette-Enterprise. I live in San Antonio and try to keep up with Mr. Mims scientific activities. Hats off to you, sir, for a career full of truly admirable accomplishments.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Forrest Mims and Bob Pease both hand-draw the schematics for their articles. The difference is that Bob is to editors as most medical doctors are to pharmacists when it comes to what goes down on paper.

Forrest, welcome to the forum (and to Electro-tech's forum as well). I take it you got tired of Hawaii and wanted to go home? Or was it that deep, primeval draw of the Longhorns?

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Forrest Mims III

Post by Forrest Mims III »

To sofaspud. Glad to know your father read my column in the Seguin GAZETTE-ENTERPRISE. That column began a decade ago and continues today. The San Antonio EXPRESS-NEWS began running the column ("The Country Scientist") more than two years ago.

To Dean Huster. Great to hear from you. Since 1992 I've taught a college course every spring on the Big Island. This has provided an amazing opportunity to calibrate my atmospheric instruments at Hawaii's Mauna Loa Observatory (MLO) at least once a year since. So while I've never lived in Hawaii, I spend around 3 weeks a year there, including 10-11 days at 11,200 feet at MLO.

Forrest

Forrest M. Mims III
www.forrestmims.org
twitter.com/fmims
Pius

Mr. Mims

Post by Pius »

What can a struggling, not so young apprentice of electronics say to thank you for your wonderful teaching.
Over the years when working in electronics and robotics you accumulate books and more books. They sit on your library shelf and are pulled out when an idea comes into our heads. I sit at my desk and wonder how will this new circuit work, well I remember that little book on circuits and my hand will reach where it is supposed to be. Your books have served me so well over the years that they will remain for as long as I am able to hold a soldering iron.
I had to study electronics in great earnest because that was the only to learn to build robots and really what else is there that is so much fun and so fascinating.
GoingFastTurningLeft

Post by GoingFastTurningLeft »

I remember using that 555 book and another book a whole bunch when I was getting my feet wet back 15 years ago.

Thanks for everything Mr Mims.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

I notice that Universal Radio (http://www.universal-radio.com) carries Forrest's Engineer's Mini Notebooks Volume 1, 2, 3, & 4 for $12.95 each.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

In my college Electronics course c.1981, we had a text book by Diefenderfer, I think, and the "Cookbook". I kept the latter. Great having a such a talent here.