Alternative for Radio Shack Sound Module

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mikerd

Alternative for Radio Shack Sound Module

Post by mikerd »

Hi,

I'm a teacher in Canada, and have 2 students creating Peanut-Butter Monster Detectors from a past issue of NandV. All of the parts are easy to pick up except for the dreaded sound module.

Radio Shack 276-1323

As RadioShack doesn't exist in Canada, I need to find an alternate part, or someone with a spare one they'd be willing to sell/ship asap.

Surely there must be similar versions of sound record/play modules.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike.
Bigglez

Re: Alternative for Radio Shack Sound Module

Post by Bigglez »

mikerd wrote: Surely there must be similar versions of sound record/play modules.
Yes, there are several that appear in N and V
classified ads. Check a recent magazine. These vendors
sell on line or by mail order. The modules may be functionally
the same but require identification of the mods Vern did
to his Radioshack original units (which were also replaced
by later versions).

AFAIK all of these use the same IC engine.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Mike,
IIRC, ISD pioneered and still make the voice recording/playback chips.
Winbond America?
Say the word, and one of us can send you the RS units, if you get desparate.
John

P.S. As an aside- under "Technical Specifications" in the Radio Shack data,
"Miscellaneous Features"- "Supported Languages" - English.
It's a digital voice recording module! ENGLISH?
What, the thing won't work in German?
Scheesh.
WA2RBA
VernGraner

Re: Alternative for Radio Shack Sound Module

Post by VernGraner »

mikerd wrote: (I) have 2 students creating Peanut-Butter Monster Detectors from a past issue of NandV. All of the parts are easy to pick up except for the dreaded sound module. Radio Shack 276-1323 As RadioShack doesn't exist in Canada, I need to find an alternate part
You're building the PBMD? Cool! :) As for a cheap alternative try this:

$2.00 Surplus 30 second sound module.

Only requires a bit of work to extract the module. I haven't tried one myself, but the price sure is right! :D

Vern
--
Vern Graner
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

For the best deal I was going to suggest the SAW recorder from All Electronics Vern Graner linked to.

Some store SOMEWHERE in Canada must carry keychain memo recorders! These are available in drug stores (are there Walgreens, Rite Aid, or CVS in Canada or their equivalent?), big box department stores, and even gas station minimarts. There are also talking picture frames, greeting cards, and other devices that contain recording chips.

During the Christmas season I saw a flashlight/memo recorder/keychain two pack as a "stocking stuffer" item. If I recall the price was about $5.00USD.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
mikerd

Post by mikerd »

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. It gives me something to go on, and get these parts to my students.

I found an ISD-cob part at Digikey that might work.
Allelectronics does ship to Canada, although that SAW figurine is pretty scary. I assume my students can unscrew the base and steal the electronics. I hadn't thought about the cheap memo recorders. I'll have to keep an eye out for that too.

As an aside, I'm trying something new this year by connecting my high school classes with the community. I thought we'd build a few PBMonster Detectors over the Spring, and if I can get the PCB design build some LED XMas trees over the fall and have the kids deliver them to children at the local hospital.

If anyone has the scoop on other simple, inexpensive kid-friendly projects, do let me know.

Very resourceful people here at NandV, thank you very much!

Mike Roy
Teacher
Aurora High School
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

I haven't read the article, but if its just ISD sound recorder chips you need, I think I have a few of those modules lying around. If you want them they're yours.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

mikerd wrote:I found an ISD-cob part at Digikey that might work.
Allelectronics does ship to Canada, although that SAW figurine is pretty scary.

Mike Roy
Teacher
Aurora High School
That's odd. Did ALL change their policy? This is copied from their web site information tab:

Payment Methods
U.S.A
Check, money order or acceptable charge card information must accompany your order. We use Instacheck to verify checks. Returned checks are subject to a $20.00 service charge.
Foreign
Only money orders or cashiers checks in U.S. funds payable thru the U.S. bank clearing systems (drawn on a U.S. bank) can be accepted. Canadian Postal Money Orders in U.S. funds are also acceptable.
Credit Cards
We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover and all American Express cards. Please have your credit card information ready when calling. We will require your credit card number, expiration date and your name as it appears on the credit card. Your signature is required on Mail Orders.

Post by VernGraner »

Engineer1138 wrote:I haven't read the article, but<snip>
That's ok, I'll wait...

:razz:

Vern
--
Vern Graner
RiJoRi

Post by RiJoRi »

jwax wrote:P.S. As an aside- under "Technical Specifications" in the Radio Shack data, "Miscellaneous Features"- "Supported Languages" - English. It's a digital voice recording module! ENGLISH? What, the thing won't work in German?
Scheesh.
Well, no. IT has a special feature (called "4/1") so it will not work if it detects the Germanic "CH" sound! :grin:

--Rich