NuMH D cell capacity

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mebikerider

NuMH D cell capacity

Post by mebikerider »

I walked into a major electronics store to try to get some NiMH batteries for my bicycle headlight.

I was hoping to find D cells in the range of 10000 mAh capacity.

But their NiMH D cells had only 2500 mAh! Right beside them on the rack were AA cells, also having 2500 mAh! Why would D cells have only the same small capacity as AA?

Is somebody packaging an AA cell in a D cell casing and trying to sell it as a D cell, or something?

Does anyone know what's going on? Is this some sort of battery scam?
David
Chris Smith

Re: NuMH D cell capacity

Post by Chris Smith »

I have D cells that do have tiny batteries inside them about 1/10 the normal size, based on the over weight of the battery.

My D cells weigh like a feather so I know it’s a empty can, with a tiny battery inside.

I also have 2.0 volt lead acid batteries in D size and they feel like solid lead, but their limit is only 2 Amp.

Pick them up and feel their weight and that should answer your question. If they have little mass, they probably are shells.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Only in California.
WA2RBA
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Just like our HollyWood silicone breasts, Hallow and fake!
mebikerider

Post by mebikerider »

Checking around a bit on the web, I found that many vendors do offer NiMH D cells in the 9000 to 12000 mAh range. Their weight is around 163 g. On the other hand, the "Energizer" NiMH D cell at 2500 mAh weighs only 73 g.

The prices generally do reflect the capacity - the Energizer, at 2200 mAh, is around $5 per cell, and prices go up to around $16 or $17 for the 12000 mAh cells. But there do seem to be deals like 6 10000 mAh D cells for $49.50, so for close to the price of the 2500 mAh Energizer, I can get me a bunch of 10000 mAh cells.

Maybe I was a little harsh in calling this a "scam", but it still seems sort of bogus for Energizer to call those wimpy little things "HIGH CAPACITY".
David
philba

Post by philba »

Originally posted by mebikerider:
Maybe I was a little harsh in calling this a "scam", but it still seems sort of bogus for Energizer to call those wimpy little things "HIGH CAPACITY".
no, I don't think scam is too harsh. Energizer surely thinks of this as "marketing" but, to me, marketing involves some level of honesty and that is simply dishonest.

In general, one should disregard any "marketing" claims made about a product and determine suitibility from the specifications.