Rotary tool Opinions

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Things to have....

Safety Glasses are a MUST. I have a pair that I leave in the kit so I don't have to go looking for them.

A set of screwdrivers to change discs in the cullet.

Pliers.

Cutting wheels are so useful. They will cut rusted screws, bolts, etc. with ease. You can, if you are careful, cut a slot for a regular screw driver tip into the head of a stripped screw or even bolt.

I can take or leave the flex shaft. It is very useful for getting into tight places.

Wire brushes and sanding wheels are excellent for cleaning metal contactss with large surfaces. Spark plugs come to mind.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Safety Glasses are a MUST. I have a pair that I leave in the kit so I don't have to go looking for them.
That's for sure but remember to blow or brush off your hair (assuming you have some) after you do something requiring goggles. Both times I got something (serious) in my eyes I WAS wearing goggles but the object entered hours later as it fell from my head. One time it was a metal drill shaving and I needed a doctor to get it out. :cry:

Yes, my Dremel is so old, it had only the dedicated shaft option at the time. I do think the handheld models were out though. The flex shaft never had a drill press accessory like some of the one handhelds do. I think that would be useful. I made a router jig for it out of scrap metal and carved wood. That was handy at times.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

If you need guts in your rotary tool, get a RotoZip by Bosch. I have the 5 amp non-variable speed model and the 5.5 amp variable speed unit and prefer the variable speed, especially when you have the 2:1 right-angle adaptor installed which does vibrate more than I'd like. My first 5 amp unit, not even a year old yet, threw something on the inside and I have to send it in for warranty repair.

But for my handyman trade, the RotoZip is the only way to go. I wrecked the Dremel cutting the finish nails from 50 door facings and related baseboard when reconstructing a house devastated by a tornado. The RotoZip has collets available for the 1/8" tools used by the Dremel as well as for larger bits.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.