Satelite dish's

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Satelite dish's

Post by frhrwa »

does anyone know the difference in the DISH dish and the DirectTV dish? or is there any? wondered if you could use the DISH dish and aim it at the directtv satelite and use it?
Bigglez

Re: Satelite dish's

Post by Bigglez »

frhrwa wrote:does anyone know the difference in the DISH dish and the DirectTV dish? or is there any? wondered if you could use the DISH dish and aim it at the directtv satelite and use it?
The hardware is the same (different labels). The
problem is that each company has its own birds
programmed into the receiver.
For example, On my DirecTV system it will not
give a signal reading from a non-Hughes bird,
even if I locate one.

Why not build a system with the correct parts?
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

The LNB's (receiver at the end of the arm) on the Direct TV are slightly different. If you point a DTV dish at a Dish Network Sat, you probably won't be able to get all of the available transponders, but you can get some of them - that all depends on the receiver type though.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I had access to a DISH satelite dish and was looking to save $20.. oh well, I have 3 brand new dish's up in Washington, but needed one down here in Las Vegas.. I guess I'll just go buy one or check craigs list.. thanks guys.. appreciate the info..
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

frhrwa wrote:I have 3 brand new dish's up in Washington, but needed one down here in Las Vegas..
Snowbird, eh? I did that for a few years. Ended up
with two of most things (due to a lack of planing).
Good luck with the second home!
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

I've dealt with MXMart dot com several times out of Canada, but ships to the US pretty cheap. Got a great 32" elliptical dish that rocks - none of the rain fade that I used to get with the smaller one during severe rains in KS... Oh yeah, you won't be having that problem!
Just this weekend the wife and I had a couple of mixed drinks and watched Vietnamese soap operas and made up our own dialog - what fun! Good luck, Dave
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

very interesting.. I could use that big dish up north tho.. I also heard about "different" recievers out of canada? but, I guess that's another story.. by the way, did your big dish give you access to other channels or other satelites?
watched Vietnamese soap operas
Trepan

Post by Trepan »

frhrwa wrote:
I had access to a DISH satelite dish and was looking to save $20.. oh well, I have 3 brand new dish's up in Washington, but needed one down here in Las Vegas.. I guess I'll just go buy one or check craigs list.. thanks guys.. appreciate the info..
You could always use the dish and buy a proper LNB and replace it. it might be cheaper for you than buying an entire dish.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Generally one sat per LNB. You can have multiple LNB's on one dish though. Bigger dish = better quality signal and better towards the edges for multiple LNB's. Kinda oversimlifying, but hope that is close. One satellite I like is this one http://www.lyngsat.com/galaxy19.html. Any of the listed channels that have an "F" in the encoding column means they are free.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Put a microphone at the focal point of that old dish and spy on the neighbors??
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

Put a microphone at the focal point of that old dish and spy on the neighbors??
that sounds pretty scary.. ha.. these days you might not want to hear what your neighbors are saying..