Coil Launcher Parts

Get help with your Nuts & Volts projects or Kits purchased from Nuts & Volts here.
aerohoff

Coil Launcher Parts

Post by aerohoff »

Where do I get the bobbin for the transformer and does anyone know a good source for the magnet wires?

Also, what constitutes high voltage wire? Can I just use some thick wire?

I'm gonna build this as a project for my physics class.
aerohoff

Post by aerohoff »

44 views and not a single reply. I emailed the articles author about a week ago and I haven't heard anything.

I found the magnet wire but now i'm trying to find the 1000uF 1.5kV capacitors that are supposed to be used for c3 and c4. Is this maybe the wrong value? I can't find these anywhere.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

You may have to gang capacitors for power supply like author did on launcher. Six 1500uF 500V, two parallel by three series would be 1000uF.

1500V caps might be available as surplus.

Cheers,
Dale Y
Karl Williams

capacitor values for C3 and C4

Post by Karl Williams »

Sorry about the typo in the article.

The correct values for C3 and C4 are actually .01 uf at 1.5KV DC or higher, ceramic disc.

Take care, Karl
Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

So how far could you launch a projectile with 1000uf?
aerohoff

Post by aerohoff »

Thanks for the update Karl!

i'll psot my digikey parts list and sources for other parts if I'm successful.
aerohoff

Post by aerohoff »

Franklin97355, I don't think a bigger value on these caps would significantly increase the range but increasing the voltage or making another stage would.
afarawayland

re: original poster

Post by afarawayland »

Hey there all,

I'm building this project and am glad to see the original author chimed in.

To the original poster, the article mentions that you can find transformer parts in common items such as these new "green" incandescent light bulb-replacements. Each one of these fluorescent units have there own power supply.

The power supply methods and component methods vary from unit to unit and size to size. I had to take several different kinds apart to find the right size transformer.

In the end, I went with this bulb, a large one I found at wallmart.
afarawayland

Re: Coil Launcher Parts

Post by afarawayland »

aerohoff wrote:Where do I get the bobbin for the transformer and does anyone know a good source for the magnet wires?

Also, what constitutes high voltage wire? Can I just use some thick wire?
I had to search hard for HV wire too, until I realized that standard multimeter lead wire usually has a higher voltage rating than regular 600v hookup wire. The deal is that heavier insulation is needed for higher voltages, larger gauges for higher current. You can take apart a TV or something to obtain a short length of 30kV rated stuff, but that has its own dangers.

Just find a meter lead wire with a tolerable rating, maybe 1500v for this design.

Concerning magnet wire, if you live in the states there are several onine distributors of such wire.

If you're still looking for it, I'd give you a link or two..
aerohoff

Post by aerohoff »

afarawayland, I'm glad to hear someone else is trying this one. Did you get it to work? I found all the parts, but I didn't get it to work -yet. I tried to assemble the circuit on a crappy protoboard from radio shack, which was a horrible mistake. It was very difficult to follow the layout without a plan and the pads on the board didn't survive the quickest of soldering. This was the first circuit I've attempted to build this way and probably will be the last.
I haven't gotten around to it yet, but my next attempt will be to solder the circuit together directly on top of the schematic from the magazine. Once I get that working I will design a pcb for it. It's about time I get back on this project so I'll post some picks of my failed attempt later this week and keep you updated.
Please let me know how yours turned out.
aerohoff

Post by aerohoff »

I forgot. THANK YOU KARL! for the great article.