Merry PICmas kit

Get help with your Nuts & Volts projects or Kits purchased from Nuts & Volts here.
psycho

Merry PICmas kit

Post by psycho »

I am not one for kits (or Christmas), but, this one I like, as my better half lives for the season. I read the article and couldn't find any mention of the size of the tree. Does anyone know how tall it is?

Thanks,
Kevin
Bigglez

Re: Merry PICmas kit

Post by Bigglez »

psycho wrote:I am not one for kits (or Christmas), but, this one I like, as my better half lives for the season. I read the article and couldn't find any mention of the size of the tree. Does anyone know how tall it is?
I haven't seen one in person, but there is a video of it here.
My best estimate is that it stands 150mm tall, plus the
battery and base (not shown in the image).
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

looks neet, 5 modes i saw.
years ago there was an artical in another electronics magazine that was
3D and it used 3 LM3909 flasher IC's
i made several of these way back then, i opted to buy the circuit boards. they wasn't cheap, but it was still a fun project.
psycho

Post by psycho »

If I remember right, there are 11 different patterns. I showed my wife the video and she likes it. So, I'll get it for her for xmas. It will be for me, too, because I get to put it together :grin:
psycho

Post by psycho »

Update! I sent the size question to Nuts & Volts and they said it is 6" wide & 8" tall.
myothermind

Post by myothermind »

8" x 6" is exactly right. There are two D cell batteries at the base.

Technically there are 12 patterns if you include the powerdown pattern. You can see all except the drip pattern on our website at
http://myothermind.com/tree-patterns.html

All of the patterns are done in code, so it is much more sophisticated than a few LM3903s :-)
psycho

Post by psycho »

Did you buy the kit or are you one of the article's authors?
myothermind

Post by myothermind »

I am one of the authors. I did all of the programming for it. Feel free to hit me with any questions you might have.
psycho

Post by psycho »

So YOUR responsible! Just kidding. It looks great! Like I said before, my wife loves xmas so this would be a nice little project.
myothermind

Post by myothermind »

It was an absolute blast doing the tree. A couple of the patterns have had significant input from my wife so I can understand
-- John
Mike6158

Wonderful wonderful project!

Post by Mike6158 »

My soldering skills have laid dormant for about 3 years. I resurrected them to build not one but three of Picmas trees. I'm happy to say that all three lit properly on the first try. I wasn't surprised. The kit is well supplied, well described, and the layout is simple. If I had one nit to pick it would be that the top LED should be white :grin: I built one of my trees with a white LED at the top. The LED came from my surplus :grin:

I can't wait for the next three to get here. No... I'm not OCD. They are pre-Christmas gifts. All but one that is :grin: I have to admit that all three running at the same time looks pretty cool so I'm going to miss them when I give them away
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
myothermind

Post by myothermind »

We are so glad we helped you resurrect your soldering skills and give you a chance to show them off for a christmas gift! A forest of trees all blinking does look really impressive. I've had a dozen of the earlier version running . (I don't know the record for who has had the most running at one time though...)
-- John
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

myothermind wrote:We are so glad we helped you resurrect your soldering skills and give you a chance to show them off for a christmas gift! A forest of trees all blinking does look really impressive. I've had a dozen of the earlier version running . (I don't know the record for who has had the most running at one time though...)
-- John

John, A few years ago I had a design for a tree the was "kind of" like what you guys came up with. Life came along and bumped it to the back burner. It doesn't matter since I have yet to work on my PIC programming skills and I'm certain that I couldn't have written anything close to what you did. I program industrial PLC's and HMI's for a living and that eats up a lot of my time. The PIC seems like a natural progression and I hope to do something with it someday.

Can you imagine a 6', 7', or even 8' tall version of the PICmas tree? :grin: Maybe use a "master" PIC to control multiple "slave" PIC's via a serial network. The star would have it's own PIC and it's own set of routines. You could control the world!!!! :shock: Ahem... well... maybe the neighborhood at least :razz: Cool stuff...

PS- An LED star has probably already been done commercially but... what a cool idea that would be... hint hint...
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
Bigglez

Re: Wonderful wonderful project!

Post by Bigglez »

Mike6158 wrote:If I had one nit to pick it would be that the top LED should be white :grin: I built one of my trees with a white LED at the top.
It is unlikely that white LEDs can be used in the
current design, as it runs form only three volts
(while on battery power). Most Blue and White LEDs
require more than three volts to operate.
Mike6158

Re: Wonderful wonderful project!

Post by Mike6158 »

Bigglez wrote:
Mike6158 wrote:If I had one nit to pick it would be that the top LED should be white :grin: I built one of my trees with a white LED at the top.
It is unlikely that white LEDs can be used in the
current design, as it runs form only three volts
(while on battery power). Most Blue and White LEDs
require more than three volts to operate.
Mine works on batteries. It's a little too directional for my taste but it works...