Dielctric heat transfer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Dielctric heat transfer

Post by Lenp »

Hi guys,

With all the collctive smart thinking here I hope someone can steer me to the product I need!

I custom build an industrial control and need 'reasonably' small quantities of a heat transfer tape that is also an electrical insulator. This will be used under a clamping device to read the surface temperature.

The problem is that the metals and sensor assembly that are clamped are dissimilar so I need to reduce, or eliminate any electrolysis. This can be a dry or wet environment, in the range of 30-250F. The tape needs adhesive on one sde only and the thickness is not critical as long as it provides the thermal transfer. Ideally the tape would be about .75" wide

3M makes several tapes that may work but all must be purchased in large roll/case sizes.

Suggestions anyone?

Len
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi Len,

Just curious, did you look at mylar tape yet? It is not sticky
on both sides however.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Kapton tape should be available in smaller rolls and the proper width. Would it work?
Bigglez

Re: Dielctric heat transfer

Post by Bigglez »

Lenp wrote:3M makes several tapes that may work but all must be purchased in large roll/case sizes.
I have requested 'samples' from 3M or it's reps/distributors
to get tape for homebrew coilwinding. Some have a
machine to precision cut the tape width to a customer's
request. At a minimum they may have an open reel that
can ship, and you can trim it as needed.

Another avenue is to try reps/distributors for magnetics
(same story; they may have tapes from other vendors).

Finally, try a coil winding (transformer) shop. They probably
throw out more tape than I could use in a lifetime!

Mylar transformer tape would probably work for your
application.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Check out this vendor.

http://www.fujipoly.com/

Look at the SARCON product line.

They are reasonably generous with samples, I am not sure of your price point for production though.

I use their ZEBRA Strip product line, the silver ones primarily but have tried most of the elastomer connectors.
jwax

Post by jwax »

I agree with Dave- Kapton.
www.mcmaster.com, a credit card and you'll have your roll(s) in a day.
John
WA2RBA
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Thanks for all the responses!
Kapton tape is not a stranger to me, I have it in stock and have used it for coils and transformer repairs. The Kapton tape I have appears to be an excellent electrical insulator for elevated temperatures but not very efficient at thermal conduction.
Our application requires thermal conduction as well as electrical insulation, much like a mica washer/silicone or the silicone pads used for heatsink applications. An adhesive backing on one side, would make it work.

If anyone knows of a Kapton or mylar tape that also has good thermal transfer properties, Hands up Shout it out!

hacklesup: It looks like the Sarcon line may be worth following up if it is available with, or they can suggest, an adhesive.

Thanks again!

Len
jwax

Post by jwax »

Although I don't see 1 or 2 mils of Kapton as very thermally insulating, maybe this will have even better thermal conductivity:
http://www.cshyde.com/Tapes/Data/K271info.htm
WA2RBA
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

jwax:

The tapes from CS Hyde seems to have real promise! I'll contact them for samples. The 5 mil thickness is a plus since the surfaces may not be smooth and the thicker silicone tape coating will likely provide better contact.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Len