Music Quiter

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Icontac

Music Quiter

Post by Icontac »

I live in an apartment, my upstairs neighbor plays his music very loud.I have told him about it many times but he still plays it loud.I thought about the old days when a CB radio would wipe out the stero.Is there a device I could use to stop the loud music.I wouldnt mind building something.Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

Re: Music Quiter

Post by Mike »

An even louder stereo... :D <p>There is really no device you can build, but you can possibly put sound deadening material on the ceiling or if it is a drop ceiling stuff it with sound deadening insulation.<p>I still recommend the an even louder stereo, crannk it up around midnight, teach him how mad you get. Thats how I'd do it :D :D :D :D :D :D <p>or if it's way too loud, as in above the max allowable sound level, call the non-emergency police line, and have a cop come and tell him to turn it down.<p>[ April 16, 2005: Message edited by: Mike ]</p>
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I had the same problem once, fortunately their power ran through a gang box in my back room down stairs. A simple short with a 500 amp starter switch would send them into replacing their fuse box with a complete set of fuses each time they played it loud. <p>And the best part was they believed it was their stereo that was the cause, as the volume would rise, and their fuse block would blow! Kids are not that hard to retrain.
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

I would mount a subwoofer on the ceiling and just play some super low frequency stuff (i.e. not necessarily music) the would rumble and cause everything on his floor to vibrate and drive him nuts.
"Who is John Galt?"
philba

Post by philba »

Good counter measure - to enhance it a bit, get a microphone, pre-amp and a delay circuit feeding the sub woofer. Getting the sub out of phase will make the music sound really bad. Overdriving the amp will induce clipping and distortion which in this case is good. It will also drive him nuts because it will only be going when he cranks it up. Turn it down and the problem goes away - skinnerian behavior modification. Make sure you bolt the sub to the ceiling so the floor resonates. <p>You might look at a shaker instead of a large cone woofer. They aren't that powerful but might not need to be. Here's a couple that aren't too expensive http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id =3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=536&SO=2&filter=bass+shaker&start=1
Also, get a plate amp like one of these http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm ... 3&ObjectGr oup_ID=505<p>The only other thing I can think of is some sort of EMP generator but short of a nuke, its kind of hard to generate in an apartment.<p>[ April 17, 2005: Message edited by: philba ]</p>
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i still like the idea of a CB radio with a 100 watt amp to boot.. give him feed back squeel from hell...
i burned up a stereo amp like this one time..<p>all the other ideas are good too..especially the feedback with delay...
Mike

Post by Mike »

Those bass shakers just rumble, I dobut they would have the same effect as an out of phase cone which actually produces noise.<p>If you have a science and surplus near your house, they have a 15" DVC subwoofer that, after teaching your neighbor what a volume control can do, sounds really good on a stereo. It's made by Eclipse, but it looks just like the Lanzar they also sell. Best of all, its only 39.99. I just upgraded my 12" sub in my room to this one, and wow, can it shake the room. I had some magazines on a shelf in my closet, 10 minutes later there were 40 magazines on the floor. I'm sure the same could happen to your neighbor. (I'm not related in any way to them).<p>
Also, when I suggested calling the cops, I meant if the noise was unbearable, or during the night disturbing you while trying to sleep, and he still wouldn't turn it down.<p>
-Mike
terri

Post by terri »

"Vengeance is not a suitable motivation for either Gods or Men." Terri A. Travis, ca 1960<p>While I am a firm believer in my own adage, sometimes you have to become an Agent for the Cosmic Beings in teaching various schmucks just what kind of schmucks they are.<p>By returning their favors in kind.<p>I dislike the use of equipment which will do any harm, but I kind of liked dr_when's idea of mounting subwoofers on the ceiling, if that's even remotely practical. One perversely nasty thing that occured to me was to somehow feed the woofers with the same music he's playing, but about half a measure behind his.<p>You can recite the following prayer:<p>"Forgive me, Lord, but I am only a Humble Agent of Your Heavenly Desire to teach this effing schmuck what an inconsiderate fellating jerk he is."<p>I also dislike appealing to authority, being one of those people who wouldn't call the cops unless there was blood on my doorstep, but I wondered what the apartment manager thought of this noise.
terri wd0edw
philba

Post by philba »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by terri:
One perversely nasty thing that occured to me was to somehow feed the woofers with the same music he's playing, but about half a measure behind his.
<hr></blockquote><p>yeah, use a mike and add a delay. good idea...
terri

Post by terri »

What? No comment on the Prayer? :D <p>I don't know if this would work, but for a temporary mounting of the "transducers"" to the ceiling, some hinged, jointed two by twos of just the right length on each "arm" to press the speakers to the ceiling when straightened out. Dimensions would be so that fully straightened, the total length would be floor-to-ceiling less the thickness of the woofer + just a little bit to press the speaker to the ceiling.<p>I haven't had my usual five cups of coffee yet this AM, so I'm not sure that's clear.<p>Would be able to put up and take down the speakers in a jiffy, though, with this kind of toggle-jointed strut.<p>Does this make sense the way I wrote it?<p>[ April 18, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
Icontac

Post by Icontac »

Yes it makes good sense to me And thanks a lot The apartment managers arent here when this is going on,but I have told them three different times.Maybe after four times they will take some action.Thanks a lot for the input.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If the Music is from an FM station and close to one of the channels favored by FM modulators (used now-a-days to connect MP3 players to your sterio) then you have a viable means to interfere. If the neighbor is using CDs or other input then there is little opportunity for interference.<p>To convince the managers, you could obtain a small VU meter (radio shack has a suitable model) then you can at least measure and quantify the disturbance to prove you are not being just a little too sensitive.<p>Asking someone not to play their music is generally met with resistance but I have found that asking for just the BASS lowered is a compromise many people find workable. <p>Fignting loud music with more noise usually just leads to alienating more neighbors or intensifying the fued with the obnoxious one. Consider all the consiquences before fighting fire with fire. Tampering with someones power is definately a no no.<p>If it does come down to a fued, find something obnoxious you can do but well within your rights (like locking your bike to their stairs, BBQ under their window some stinky fish, store your trash in an inconvenient location or the best one - park <you or your friends> in their spot, etc) when they ask you to stop, you have a barganing chip to work with to ask them to stop their behaviour.<p>If it's not the music it's the heavy walking. It can be tough in a downstairs unit if not constructed substantially. Do you have other neighbors bothered by the same noise? Threatening to move especially if the rental market is weak will usually get the management's attention. This unfortunately may be the ultimate solution.<p>[ April 18, 2005: Message edited by: haklesup ]</p>
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Could you feedback a 180 degree out of phase audio to the subwoofers mounted to the ceiling as suggested? Would this have a "noise cancelling" effect?
It's Monday ALL day today!
Dave
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Of course, if all other avenues fail and you do have access to the service panel and know the circuit that the stereo is connected to, a simple rewiring over to a 240 breaker can have some marvelous effects on his stereo. It's really not a recommended solution, but is a solution.<p>Actually, I've only been known to retaliate to unreasonable situations like that once and then only after several unsuccessful (i.e., the guy was a total AH) attempts at compromise. And at that point, the guy ended up mysteriously having the exhaust pipe/system of his beloved pocket rocket loaded with foam-in-place insulating foam. He was danged lucky that he had a locking gas cap.<p>For some reason, as we get older, many of us have less patience with inconsiderate folks and even less patience with those who deliberately try to annoy others. For instance, we moved to the sticks for peace and quiet. Now, a guy has bought the 15 acres across the road from us and his kid just got a big subwoofer, amps and bass tapes/CDs for his junker car and has no common sense about when it is and is not appropriate to operate the thing. Oh, what to do ... what to do?<p>Dean<p>[ April 18, 2005: Message edited by: Dean Huster ]</p>
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

It is great to think in terms of vengence and we all do it from time to time, but since you are a cliff dweller, please don't make enemies of all your other neighbors trying to get back at one jerk. Your countermeasures may annoy them more than him.<p>Your CB radio might or might not come in on his stereo, but it may well also come in on the TVs and radios of those all around you.<p>And trying to destroy his stuff rather than make his behavior change is called vandalism. If they catch you, your crime will be worse than his disturbing the peace. They don't usually throw folks in jail for loud stereos, but they do jail them for malicious mischief and vandalism.